    Has anyone a solution for this? Is it an oversight on the part of the
    Mandriva developers, or what?

    Thanks in advance.

    Gary G. Taylor, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Gary G. Taylor

    Jim Townsend Guest

    What version of Mandriva are you using?

    The install disks for all the Mandriva distributions (since at least v7.0)
    have come with xmms compiled for that version. Are you using the RPM from
    the install disks you used to install Mandriva?

    Jim Townsend, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Gary G. Taylor

    Supersano Guest

    Oh Bite me Gary!

    Supersano, Apr 16, 2007
  4. Gary G. Taylor

    Ron Gibson Guest

    Build from source. I guarantee if it will compile it will work perfectly.

    Some MDV packages just are botched. lm_sensors wouldn't work on my
    vanilla P4, Intel 865PE setup. I compiled from source and now all is
    well. This isn't the first time I've had to do that.

    Way I usually approach it is try the precompiled binary first. If that
    fails then I grab the source.

    Ron Gibson, Apr 16, 2007
  5. Ensure the following links and file exist ...
    $ ll /usr/lib/libxmm*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Nov 5 17:36 /usr/lib/libxmms.so.0 -> libxmms.so.1*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Nov 5 17:36 /usr/lib/libxmms.so.1 -> libxmms.so.1.3.1*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 283064 Sep 4 2006 /usr/lib/libxmms.so.1.3.1*

    If they aren't there, run "urpmi libxmms1".

    As root, run ldconfig. Then try xmms again.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    David W. Hodgins, Apr 17, 2007
  6. Gary G. Taylor

    Ron Gibson Guest

    Now you know what I hadn't thought of that. I too have had but one
    problem with xmms and MD* and it was a long time ago.

    If a person is mixing versions of Xmms thinking they will gain something
    from a newer version is most likely wasting their time as they all use
    the same codecs.

    Definitely use the version of xmms that matches the MD* version.

    Here a brief list of things that I've HAD to compile over the years at
    one time or another...

    k3b
    *mplayer
    *mplayer-plugin
    xine and kaffeine
    *lm_sensors
    cups
    aumix

    * :Most recently

    Ron Gibson, Apr 17, 2007
  7. Gary G. Taylor

    shedied Guest

    The DVD for Mandriva 2007 (Free) does not include xmms :-( Not a big
    fan of amarok, and bmpx, although new will need extra coders to enable
    the 'repeat tunes endlessly' function, according to their website, and
    cannot simply 'load on demand' because of a dbus-daemon requirement.
    Is there a way to bypass that?

    Looking for xmms and Mandriva in pbone yields xmms-debug. meh About
    the closest thing one can get, xmms1. requires rtld(GNU_HASH) from
    glibc (why do i have to include this when the DVD Free has glibc in
    it?) Am afraid installing that will lead to a downward spiral of
    endless downloads.

    shedied, Apr 17, 2007
  8. Gary G. Taylor

    Whiskers Guest

    You are not restricted to using only those Mandriva RPMs included in your
    installation media; set up the 'main' and 'contrib' on-line sources for
    urpmi and you have many more packages than are on any of the free media.
    You should set up 'up-date' sources for both main and contrib too, of
    course. Use 'Configure your computer - Select from where software packages
    are downloaded when updating the system' and click on 'Add' and then on
    'Distribution sources'. Then see if xmms is listed under 'Look at
    installable software and install software packages'. You should of course
    un-install any xmms-related RPMs you've installed from any other source,
    first.

    xmms-1.2.10-33mdv2007.0 runs fine on my Mdv2007 system.

    Whiskers, Apr 17, 2007