ARG!! Need DVD player that both STOPS and goes to MENU "whenever I want"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 26, 2007.

  1. Thomas G. Marshall

    Guest Guest

    A couple of days ago, my wife and I sat down to watch a Netflix DVD. We
    were using a $40 Toshiba DVD player I'd never used before with a commercial
    DVD. As the disc began it showed an FBI warning followed by "This preview
    has been rated PG" (or words to that effect. I said to my wife,

    "Move through this stuff. Let's get on with the movie"

    "I can't, she replied. You have to watch it because none of the remote
    buttons work."

    And indeed, when I tried the remote I couldn't get it to even STOP!! The
    player told me "Not allowed at this time." This was crazy. Surely you can
    stop the movie if you so desire?!?

    So I asked myself how on earth one could resume playing the movie if it was
    temporarily swapped with another one. Finally, I started experimenting. lt
    seemed that there was a button marked SEARCH. If I pushed this button, I
    could then push the number 1, and the player would go to the beginning of
    Title 1--the movie--immediately. It seems that my wife has been
    unwillingly watching previews ever since I bought this player, without once
    mentioning to me. She assumed that the previews were the price one had to
    pay to watch the movie, just like in the multiplex.

    If any of you have the same problem, you can solve it by using the search
    function and going straight to Title 1.

    I intend to examine the situation more closely, to see if I can come up with
    something even better. If I find something, I'll let you all know.

    Norm

    Guest, Jul 28, 2007

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    Stan Brown Guest

    and the same player and the same disc
    Different discs are set up differently, and different players react
    differently to the coding of the discs.

    A couple of years ago, when Universal started putting in mandatory
    previews, there was a minor flamewar because some people reported
    they could FF through the preview and others could not, on the same
    movie.

    Stan Brown, Jul 29, 2007

  3. My signatures are begun with a "-- " (dash dash space), which is a standard
    usenet convention. This allows you to filter out any signature. The size
    of this particular signature is unusually large, but it was a message
    important to me.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block

    What convention are you talking about. Further, what are you referring to
    when you say that I accused you of something?

    Thomas G. Marshall, Aug 1, 2007
  4. It's the player that executes the disc's instructions. There is no reason
    that the *player* cannot override the disc's instructions and listen to the
    remote regardless.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Aug 1, 2007
  5. Thomas G. Marshall

    Jordan Guest

    It's part of the DVD specification. The player has to accept commands
    from the disc if it's to abide by the DVD rules and regulations, just
    like region coding.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Aug 1, 2007
  6. Read complete threads much, idiot?

    We KNOW that, dipshit.

    Archimedes' Lever, Aug 1, 2007
  7. Yes, I don't readily recognize either moniker you're using. While you're at
    it, why are you at odds with others here, and why are behaving like a child?

    Thomas G. Marshall, Aug 1, 2007
  8. Yes, he spoke of something that was covered. But your response is far worse
    and far more dammaging to the ng.

    If you want people to start taking you seriously, and I'm guessing to stop
    killfiling you, you should consider stopping the unsolicited ad hominem.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Aug 1, 2007
  9. Thomas G. Marshall

    Richard C. Guest

    ===========================
    He is a long time a-hole who keeps coming here under different names.
    JoeBlo, DarkMatter, etc.
    He is the most fowl-mouthed child to ever come here.
    He spews -tard this and -tard that (like a 12 year old boy)

    Richard C., Aug 1, 2007
  10. He is both Usenet geek and tech geek:
    "Usenet" in that he's ancient enough to miss the old birth-of-Usenet
    90's adrenaline-rush days of group regulars tossing the "roast"
    flame-quips around (ooh, look, he'll compare me to Norm Wilner, again,
    who hasn't posted here since the last millenium)--
    And "tech geek" in the AV Club sense, in that he waits for you to
    recommend any current technology so he can say no way, dude!--The
    obsolete niche classic he still own from fifteen years ago was WAY better!

    ....Two classic niche-group geek-relics, all rolled up in one.
    And that's if he likes you.
    (No, really. We mean that. Any posts he *doesn't* like are by "idiots".)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Aug 1, 2007
  11. Your unsolicited assessment is worse still.
    I could give a shit about your assessments.
    ALL ad hominem is always unsolicited, idiot.

    Archimedes' Lever, Aug 2, 2007
  12. Never posted using this moniker, idiot.
    Better than you, being that you are "the most retarded poster to ever
    come here".
    You should probably cease being such a tard then.

    Archimedes' Lever, Aug 2, 2007
  13. (Oh, that's the other thing:

    One of the reasons his posting is so prolific is that he tends to have
    the "Paragraph context" comprehension of a chihuahua on espresso--
    And not only will he believe that the last words to appear in a sentence
    are what the discussion is now 110% about, he will also attack it with
    the exact same adrenaline rush, as if he believed everyone else was now
    talking about it.

    For example, if you were to say that understanding HDMI was "as easy as
    falling off a log", you could expect in five minutes his post of "What
    do you know about logs?--Only a total uncoordinated retard falls off of
    them! Do you know how long I've been practicing at staying on top of
    logs? I was logrollling in the Lumberjack games when you were still
    watching RCA!", etc...

    Derek Janssen (Comprehension vs. Impulse to talk--There *is* a reason
    why they ask those questions on the Verbal SAT)

    Derek Janssen, Aug 2, 2007
  14. You're an idiot.

    Archimedes' Lever, Aug 2, 2007

  15. You are intent on embarrassing yourself more and more. Try learning from
    this.

    Go ahead, and try again, this time perhaps without all childishness.

    You said that I "normally accuse" you of not following convention. When?
    I'm not saying I didn't, I just don't know what the heck you're talking
    about.

    Not that any of this could possibly excuse your behavior here. Stop your
    childish behavior, and *maybe* people will take you seriously in usenet,
    which they clearly don't currently.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Aug 2, 2007
  16. Well, you're proving our point again. By the way, if you think that
    throwing more insults will make it look like our assessment of you doesn't
    matter to you, it won't work. Your insecurity requires that you start
    throwing insults as if to say "your assessment of me doesn't matter and I'll
    prove it by continuing the insults." Doesn't work, and only digs you a far
    deeper hole.

    *Many* people read threads without responding. So you are making a fool of
    yourself in front of potentially many more people than the respondents here.
    Go ahead, make another insult, call me or someone else "an idiot", and see
    how far it gets you when you embarrass yourself yet again.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Aug 2, 2007
  17. Thomas G. Marshall

    Richard C. Guest

    =======================
    Q.E.D.

    Richard C., Aug 2, 2007
  18. Thomas G. Marshall

    Richard C. Guest

    =====================
    Sad fact is that he is oblivious to the FACT that not one person likes his
    12 year old persona.

    Richard C., Aug 2, 2007
  19. Thomas G. Marshall

    Richard C. Guest

    *couldn't*

    Richard C., Aug 2, 2007
  20. Thomas G. Marshall

    Richard C. Guest

    Says the master of unsolicited ad hominentard attacks.

    Richard C., Aug 2, 2007