ARG!! Need DVD player that both STOPS and goes to MENU "whenever I want"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 26, 2007.

  1. I need an inexpensive dvd player.

    But I'm also sick to death of dvd players telling me that I cannot go to the
    main menu whenever I want.

    *Are there any dvd players which have this capability* ?

    Example: I like to bypass all the crap at the beginning of dvd's, and even
    the "fast play" options have some of this dreck. So to start all dvd's I
    always go to scene selection first thing, and then choose scene 1. Works,
    but it can be problematic: The DVD player I had (as well as my current $32
    memorex cheapy) complain about the stuff at the beginning being interrupted
    sometimes. I get that no-can-do icon of a circle with a slash through it
    /sometimes/ when I try to hit stop, and often when I hit the main menu
    button mid play.

    It should be possible to override this, and have the stop and menu buttons
    immediately obeyed no? Or does the dvd itself come with some sort of
    programming that is obeyed by the dvd players that prevents this?

    --
    Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need
    to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 26, 2007

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    Dave Bugg Guest

    You can get dirt cheap with limited functionality, or moderate priced with a
    lot of functions. Low price means there will be a trade-off in both
    functionality and performance.

    Dave Bugg, Jul 26, 2007

  3. Thomas G. Marshall

    John Carrier Guest

    Yep, its the DVD itself that prevents you from the full viewing of the FBI
    warning and similar garbage before it will allow navigation to the menu. I
    doubt most players have the ability to override this function.

    R / John

    John Carrier, Jul 26, 2007

  4. Such a unit cannot even be legally marketed with the DVD logo on it.

    I am quite sure that someone would be able to hack the firmware to
    ignore the flags included on each title, however.

    To skip the FBI warning, which appears when one presses "Play" on most
    titles (some titles, it is the first thing up, and cannot be skipped),
    all one needs to do is to use the "scene selection" sub menu and select
    the first scene. It jumps right into the movie.

    Spurious Response, Jul 26, 2007
  5. Thomas, if the Menu button doesn't work in that instance, try the
    Chapter Forward button. That often does the trick for me.

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein

    Geena Phillips, Jul 26, 2007
  6. Spurious Response said something like:
    Yep, I pointed out that this is what I do. HOWEVER, there is a goofy thing
    where on both DVD players, when I insert the disk it starts it's auto-play
    or whatever, and even after its loaded up there is no obeying of the "stop"
    or "menu" keys. At least sporatically.....I haven't yet fault-isolated this
    properly to determine just what causes what, other than to say that all of
    this causes me grief :)

    --
    Enough is enough. It is /not/ a requirement that someone must google
    relentlessly for an answer before posting in usenet. Newsgroups are for

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 26, 2007
  7. Dave Bugg said something like:
    Can you name a DVD player that you think can override the programming on the
    DVD like I'm asking? It would be a great help. The others here seem to
    think that this is impossible.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 26, 2007
  8. ....[rip]...

    I'm wondering if we wouldn't someday see a 2nd tier manufacturer (say deep
    within korea) market a non-dvd dvd compatible player with such abilities...

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 26, 2007
  9. Thomas G. Marshall

    Stan Brown Guest

    Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:48:45 -0700 from Spurious Response
    "Spurious response" is right. That works on som discs and some
    players.

    Stan Brown, Jul 27, 2007
  10. Thomas G. Marshall

    mykey Guest

    the majority of these problems you mention are
    being loaded by the DVD itself, not in the player
    to start with. Certain DVD disk manufacturers will
    allow skipping the previews, etc...
    some others will force you to watch the previews,
    etc...before being allowed to see the movie.
    DVD drives for PC allow a little more flexibility
    since you have a choice of software and some allow
    opening the menu at any time, even when the DVD is playing.
    But the answer to the question "is there a player?" that bypasses
    all this rubbish is "no".
    the player obeys the instructions loaded by the disk when
    the disk is booted. to eliminate that you gotta change the
    instructions on the disk, movie vendors are not going to
    do that since they want to force you to watch previews, etc...
    but i can't blame you for being pissed at these features
    i have often wished for the same thing you are talking about.

    mykey, Jul 27, 2007
  11. In my original post I conjectured as much, but as a software engineer I
    still see no reason that the hardware couldn't always honor stop and menu,
    aside from willful licensing constraints, REGARDLESS of what instructions it
    is "executing" off the dvd.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 27, 2007
  12. Studio by studio.

    Warner titles autostart, for one.

    That monster sig block attention problem you have is more than a little
    annoying.

    Do you always deliberately ignore convention?

    I mean really. Normally that's what you accuse me of.

    Spurious Response, Jul 27, 2007
  13. Money is money, right?

    Spurious Response, Jul 27, 2007

  14. It is the DVD player, however, that follows those instructions to
    "play" those tracks. ALWAYS. So it is the DVD player that one would
    modify to gain control over such "programming".

    Plain and simple.

    Flag for FBI warning.

    Flag for Macrovision enabling, which is ALSO a DVD player inserted
    "video adjustment".

    Said "flags" are "programming" cues, which are the very first thing the
    PLAYER loads when it spools up the DVD.

    Spurious Response, Jul 27, 2007

  15. Operating Systems are "booted". A DVD has code which is LOADED.
    Boot is the wrong term. The player's OS "boots" when the player is
    turned on.

    Spurious Response, Jul 27, 2007

  16. No. To eliminate that, one must change the firmware in the player such
    that skipping certain cues loaded at disc insertion can be performed.

    It IS possible.

    Spurious Response, Jul 27, 2007
  17. Thomas G. Marshall

    Rich Clark Guest

    Yes, it is. However, to use the DVD logotypes on their products a
    manufacturer must certify compliance with the spec, which prohibits such
    workarounds. That's why you rarely find them in players from major
    international brand names, but instead only in China-manufactured off-brand
    players, or in aftermarket hacks.

    Rich Clark, Jul 27, 2007
  18. I ALREADY stated that. Learn to read a thread, BEFORE you spew
    "information" that has already been mentioned.
    No shit?

    Spurious Response, Jul 28, 2007
  19. Thomas G. Marshall

    Jordan Guest

    It's not the player, it's the disc over-riding the players capability.

    The only way around it that I know is to rip the DVD and re-burn it
    without the offending menus.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Jul 28, 2007
  20. Thomas G. Marshall