    Paul Allen Guest

    That's not enough to Google on. A little more detail, please?

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Dec 21, 2005

  2. baker1

    Paul Allen Guest

    Paul Allen, Dec 21, 2005

  3. baker1

    Dave Cohen Guest

    I would have thought by this time the Mac/PC controversy would have ended.
    Most of the software I use not only wouldn't run on a Mac, it's not even
    available for the Mac
    People should have figured out by now that technical reasons alone are not
    sufficient for market success of any product. The reason the pc made it over
    the mac would require a long article, but windows has evolved and at this
    point in time there just isn't enough there to justify most people making a
    switch. As for Linux, tried it and prefer to forget it. Of course I don't
    run a server.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 21, 2005
  4. baker1

    Jon B Guest

    Yup first purchase was a MS/Logitech scroll mouse, I've never got along
    with the 'pro' mouse rsi within days, but with OS X you just plug one in
    and it 'just works' don't even have to go through the annoying 'I've
    found a piece of hardware' routine.
    As is Firefox, Camino, iCab, Mozilla, Omniweb, Opera and many others
    available on the mac.
    Most of the camera software ports are a bit crap. However the included
    Image Capture for grabbing the pictures off a camera/card is brill,
    don't install anything just plug in just about any camera (the really
    cheap stuff not included that isn't a proper usb host device) Image
    Capture see's it and downloads the pics. Job done, I've had various
    cameras/camcorders plugged into my macs, and not had to install a damn
    thing. Nikons, Canons, HPs, JVC, Samsungs etc etc.

    I've installed now the Canon software but I've only used that to set the
    camera name up and some custom profiles on the camera, besides the stich
    application and occasional furtles in DPP I'll probably never use it
    again.
    iPhoto is ok for some, as something that it is basically free you can't
    complain. I'm with you as a non supporter, take a look at iView though
    which is imo a nice program.

    The iMovie and iDVD bundle are worth the iLife price though, they are
    two excellent programs. I've sold off the camcorder though through lack
    of use, preferred playing in iMovie to using the camcorder.
    Norton won't, there are others but 'currently' the only sources of
    problems is macs can carry the Office Macro virus's. Doesn't affect the
    mac but if you do get sent an infected doc...
    Chess ;) Home spec machines normally come with a different bundle and
    there is stuff out there available cheaply. I've got 'Solitaire Plus!'
    which I'm still running in demo.
    Come on try using IR, it is a pain in the arse trying to balance things
    in line. But yes BT works brilliantly, and with the right mobile, iSync
    is really good too.
    Marc Space Missing Sync as well I think is an option iirc.
    When I had a PC this was kinda important, and I spent a good proportion
    of my time playing games on the PC. Now I've switched to Apple I don't
    care, I've got a few games, hardly play them. Enjoy being productive now
    rather than using an expensive PC as an overprices PS2/Xbox. If you want
    to play games buy a console I say.
    Seen very very few in personal experience.
    Wired networking isnt' kludgy, works just as well as airport, which is
    better than windows. Trying to get a windows machine to talk can be a
    bit kludgy, just like getting two windows machines talking, but once
    you've figured it out it continues working. Try network printing too on
    the mac, much simpler than windows.
    That was prob Norton, I support around 70-90 Apple macs, The kernal
    panic grey screen is v v rare (normally it is caused by a usb or cheap
    ram issue). Most machines we just put to sleep when not in use, either
    lift lid (laptops) or hit space (desktops) to carry on where we left
    off. I've seen I think 3 panics in 2.5years on my desktop G4, 2 in
    2years on the iBook G4. The G4 tower behind me has been running 24/7
    doing backup/server duties for 168days and counting without a reboot,
    powerdown, or anything (suppose it is about time I ran a software
    update), I've had user desktop machines touch over 150days, and those
    are just the ones I've checked. I do an occasional uptime check of
    machines just out of interest see how they are doing for maintanance. My
    biggest problem to keeping the machine running continuously at home is
    power cuts.
    That is a whole different flame war in certain groups ;) plenty of
    different options don't know which you've tried. If you've got Entourage
    with your office suite then that works just as OE for newgroups. If not
    MacSoup, Hogwasher, Unison, MTNewswatcher few that pop off top of head.
    MacSoup is a funny one, you either love it or hate it camp, but very
    popular in the mac groups I frequent. Totally unlike anything else
    you'll ever use, which means you probably wouldn't get on with it, but
    the thread tree is marvelous.

    For those that come up with the software argument against macs, actually
    start looking at all those applications, and how many are actually 'any
    good' and then start seeing how many are really left. How many times
    have you ended up buying half a dozen different 'cheap' alternatives
    just to end up buying one of the more expensive decent ones you were
    trying to avoid in the first place that is actually available on both
    platforms. I say this having been there and done it, bought this
    application for £15, another for £20, in the end buy the adobe one which
    is available on both platforms for £60. I'm not saying this is always
    true, and there is a good range of 'shareware' applications out there
    for the mac (and PC) that are really good, rather than being on the
    shelves.

    There is some stuff that the selection is a bit poor or pricey. Think
    CAD is one example, but if what you want to do and the software is
    available then I wouldn't hesitate recommending the apple line. I
    switched 2.5yrs ago and never regretted it. You often find too the
    residuals are so solid that if you buy something and after a few months
    you don't like it, eBay values are close to purchase price.

    Jon B, Dec 21, 2005
  5. baker1

    Matt Ion Guest

    If I had my choice (and the money), I'd use a Mac with Final Cut Pro for
    video editing, as really, the ultimate criteria for buying a computer
    should be the software you want to use, and FCP is by far my favorite
    video-editing package.

    Yes, you can get PCs cheaper... you also open yourself up to many more
    potential issues, not just with Windows security problems, but with
    hardware conflicts. Part of the reason Apple always eschewed
    third-party hardware, then later allowed it under tight licensing
    controls, was to ensure compatability and avoid such problems (yes yes,
    I know such limitations are also to ensure they were the only ones who
    could SELL you that hardware).

    If it's any help in your decision, Apple is now creating a version of
    OSX that will run on specific Intel-based hardware. A friend of mine
    recently built a PC that is running a developer version of this new OSX.
    You could buy a PC now with the proper components (it only works with
    specific chipsets and hardware, keep in mind), and soon be able to
    dual-boot both Windows and OSX.

    You can also run Windows on your Mac using VirtualPC, if you wanted to
    go that way...

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0551-2, 12/20/2005
    Tested on: 12/21/2005 11:02:09 AM

    Matt Ion, Dec 21, 2005
  6. baker1

    Bill Funk Guest

    That's 9th *Circus* Court of Appeals.
    Oops, sorry, that should be *Circuit*.
    :)

    Bill Funk, Dec 21, 2005
  7. baker1

    Bill Funk Guest

    What he said was,
    "Wait a few months and buy an x86-based Mac. It'll almost certainly
    be able to run both Mac OS and Win XP."
    That's wrong; the TPM must be there to run Mac OS, and that TPM won't
    let Windows run.
    I don't know about *nix, though.

    Bill Funk, Dec 21, 2005
  8. baker1

    Bill Funk Guest

    TRSDOS.

    Bill Funk, Dec 21, 2005
  9. baker1

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    Do *not* expect to be able to run the release version of OSX for x86 on
    a PC you build yourself!

    Bruce Hoult, Dec 21, 2005
  10. Mac. (It's not MAC, machine access code, but Mac.) For video editing it
    doesn't get any better than Final Cut Pro, and Photoshop CS and now
    Aperture are worth checking into for Photo editing.

    John McWilliams, Dec 21, 2005
  11. snipped
    What software? I have CS2 and Office for the mac and Office for the
    PC. I'll tell you, I spend my days with Windows systems and Mac's
    OS-X is far more stable and application installation far easier than
    any kind of windows but then it's UNIX.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Dec 22, 2005
  12. baker1

    David Harmon Guest

    On 20 Dec 2005 23:04:40 -0600 in rec.photo.digital, David
    Can't you write photo editing software *in* emacs?

    David Harmon, Dec 22, 2005
  13. baker1

    Tim Smith Guest

    So? That won't prevent Windows from running.

    Tim Smith, Dec 22, 2005
  14. baker1

    Ray Fischer Guest

    You didn't read what I wrote.

    Buy an x86 MACINTOSH. It will run Mac OS X because it's a Mac. It
    will run WinXP because WinXP will run on almost anything.
    Learn to read.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 22, 2005
  15. baker1

    cjcampbell Guest

    Not true. Many software companies, notably Adobe, will switch out your
    disks for Mac versions. Adobe did mine for free.

    cjcampbell, Dec 22, 2005
  16. baker1

    cjcampbell Guest

    Well, as one who uses both PC and Mac, I have to say that there is very
    little that I can do on a PC that I could not do on a Mac. One,
    unfortunately, is tax preparation. You cannot prepare a C corporation
    or many partnership returns on a Mac. The only thing available is web
    based services, and even those are pretty iffy. Another is flight
    planning. There is some primitive stuff available, but nothing like
    Jeppesen's flight planning software. Those two applications are the
    main reason I keep the PC around. Last of all, there are some CD based
    libraries that are not available on the Mac, but I have found web based
    versions of those that run as well as the PC versions. The only
    limitation is I have to be connected to use them. However, I don't use
    that stuff much anyway.

    As for Mac/PC marketing, Mac has been making some inroads lately. I
    suspect that Apple's switch to Intel processors next year will make it
    a lot easier to switch to Macs. Virtual PC would probably run much
    better then, too.

    I did not find the technical reasons for switching to a Mac very
    compelling. The reason I switched was, believe it or not, design and
    marketing! Mac is becoming more competitive in price, looks cooler, and
    is a good platform for photographers. I had a choice when it came time
    to upgrade my computers this year. The price difference between Mac and
    PC was only a couple hundred dollars, but Mac's Superdrive and the
    PowerBook's 17" screen really did it for me. The 2 Gig memory and 100
    Gig internal hard drive were also attractive to me as a photographer.
    No virtual memory swapping with Photoshop and plenty of storage space
    with a beautiful screen were a combination that was very difficult to
    beat.

    cjcampbell, Dec 22, 2005
  17. baker1

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    I guess those are pretty specific to the USA, which not everyone lives
    in. Here in NZ there are excellent accounting programs for the Mac,
    including the locally-developed "MoneyWorks" -- which, btw, they sell
    into the US market too: http://www.cognito.co.nz/

    But even if you need to run the PC software, neither of those types of
    software will require high performance -- they probably run just fine on
    a Pentium 166, if not a 486, so Virtual PC would be perfectly acceptable.

    Bruce Hoult, Dec 22, 2005
  18. baker1

    Bystander Guest

    That would be Final Cut for software and some Mac or other, then.

    Personally I'd wait a few months until the new Intel Macs are out; or
    else, if the money's not a problem, go for one of those dual-core, dual
    processor G5s.

    By the way, "Mac" isn't an acronym.

    Bystander, Dec 22, 2005
  19. Hint: he's joking.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 22, 2005
  20. baker1

    Bill Funk Guest

    There will be a TPM; it will also keep Windows from running.
    Wait and see.

    Bill Funk, Dec 22, 2005