    Scott W Guest

    I really like OS 360, but hard to find now.

    Scott

    Scott W, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Whee! So what kind of photo editing software *has* been ported to
    ITS, anyway?

    I started using emacs with ITS emacs, though it was running on TOPS-20
    under the Incompatibility Package rather than directly on ITS when I
    used it.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Dec 21, 2005

  3. I think ITS predates photography itself...
    That's after my time. I was using ITS from 1973 to 1976. Then a KA-10
    running something from BBN (I think it was, or maybe it was TOPS-10) in
    1980/81, VAX/VMS and Apollo workstations 84/86, and then Unix in 88/89. I've
    been SOHO since then.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 21, 2005
  4. baker1

    Paul Allen Guest

    That's OK. Linux runs under VM on current IBM big iron. :)

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Dec 21, 2005
  5. baker1

    grumpy Guest

    Dunno about that. I went Amiga to Mac to PC.

    grumpy, Dec 21, 2005
  6. baker1

    cjcampbell Guest

    I also have been using personal computers since 1982. I have had an
    Apple II+, a Z80 card that ran CPM on it, and various IBM PCs running
    virtually every version of DOS and Windows.

    For processing photos I have switched back to Mac, using a PowerBook
    with 17" screen. It works well and I have had little trouble with it
    for that purpose. Just don't buy any Symantec software for it. I
    switched to Mac in April of this year and am not sorry for it. I will
    grant that there is something of a learning curve, but it is not much.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/why-pros-use-mac.htm

    Ken gives just about every argument that you can find for using Macs
    here. I will give one more: the Mac just looks cool. Sorry, but it is
    true. Nobody makes stuff that looks as cool as what Apple does.

    Okay, I do not think the Mac is perfect. I have gripes and other
    comments:

    1) No "insert" key. Come on, guys, what is up with that? Fortunately,
    you can get aftermarket keyboards, or you can do like I do and use the
    insert key on my aftermarket numeric keypad.
    2) One button mouse. At least there are decent after-market two-button
    mice.
    3) The "delete" key is really a backspace.
    4) Microsoft Office programs load abominably slowly. On the plus side,
    Office 2004 for Mac has many features that are not included in the
    Windows versions. Excel has much more powerful database capabilities,
    for example, and PowerPoint blows the Windows version away. Even
    Explorer has all kinds of capability that will not be introduced in
    Windows until Vista is released; possibly not even then. But Safari is
    better.
    5) Photoshop rocks on the Mac. You can actually see what you are doing.
    6) Nikon Capture stinks on the Mac. Of course, it stinks on Windows,
    too, but for slightly different reasons.
    7) iPhoto on the Mac promises so much and delivers so little, at the
    expense of messing up your whole filing system and clogging your disk
    drive with multiple copies of every picture.
    8) VirtualPC for Mac is a gimmick that is probably incompatible with
    anything important that you want to do.
    9) Don't buy anti-virus software for OS X. Waste of money and it
    probably won't run properly anyway.
    10) No free games like Solitaire. Oh well.
    11) No Easter eggs hidden in software, either. Oh well.
    12) The Apple SuperDrive and software: absolutely the most convenient,
    easiest to use software for burning disks that I have ever seen, and it
    seems compatible with every conceivable format.
    13) No IR port. Took me awhile to get used to that, but Bluetooth
    actually works as advertised, unlike what you see in Windows.
    14) No support for Windows Pocket PC devices. The best third party
    software out there is PocketMac PC, which is somewhat temperamental but
    gets the job done. Still, it is enough to make you consider switching
    to a Palm device. PocketMac PC also has versions that support
    Blackberry.
    15) No free backup software. But you can get SoftRAID, which
    automatically mirrors your hard disk to another disk with Firewire. If
    you disconnect your laptop and do some field work elsewhere, it just
    rebuilds the mirror when you re-connect. You don't have to do a darned
    thing and it does not slow the system at all. There are various
    mirroring schemes available with Windows, but none of them are this
    foolproof and simple to use.
    16) Game software is always about two years behind Windows software.
    17) USB 2.0 devices actually act like USB 2.0 devices.
    18) You run into the occasional odd printer or something that does not
    work with OS X. Relatively rare problem.
    19) Airport wireless networking is virtually automatic and works every
    time.
    20) Wired networking is a bit kludgy and takes some fiddling to get it
    to work with Windows machines. But it works fine once you get it set up
    and it is no more pain than networking Windows machines together.
    21) Lots of great screen calibrating utilities available, including
    some that come with the machine. OTOH, they don't explain themselves
    very well.
    22) Searchlight search engine in OS X is quicker and more powerful than
    anything in available in Windows.
    23) The trashcan has lots of little "gotchas" that you have to learn to
    deal with.
    24) Don't use FileVault. It works fine, but it confuses a lot of backup
    software and, contrary to the documentation, it is a one way trip. Once
    you set it up you are pretty much stuck with it.
    25) Don't let anyone kid you about OS X being more stable than Windows.
    All you are doing is replacing the blue screen of death with the gray
    screen of death (aka "kernel panic"). Granted, this has not happened
    since I uninstalled Symantec's software, so I should re-phrase that: in
    my experience Symantec's software makes OS X as unstable as Windows.
    26) None of the Usenet readers available are even as good as Outlook
    Express. Ugh.

    cjcampbell, Dec 21, 2005
  7. baker1

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I use only PCs, but in the field of video editing, the Mac is a great
    option, IF you can put up with doing things only one way... Of course
    you will be tossing your entire software investment, and much of your
    hardware investment as well. Up to you.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 21, 2005
  8. baker1

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, the Unix guys sued for equal time in a California 9th district
    court, and won (of course), so we have to read their posts, even if they
    aren't applicable to the topic at issue. Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 21, 2005
  9. I have yet to have a crash in OSX 10.3.9 however booting back into
    9.2 is a real dice roll. Most of the software I do use is OSX compatible
    it just this one labeling program I need that on occasion crashes the
    system bad. Fortunately by inserting just the OSX 10 disk
    the disk will correct the problem such that I can reboot back into
    the OSX partition.
    As you know I like MT Newswatcher.

    Any thoughts on installing the OS on a Firewire drive and booting from
    it? I have a bend P-Book case consequently a bad CD rom now and I am
    weighing whether to buy an aux DVD burner and a work around of dealing
    with boot up from the aux drives.

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Dec 21, 2005

  10. Hard to find software for a Mac. Most stores only sell PC software. Even if
    you can find software for Mac, Most of the popular software you can find on
    the market that have both Mac and PC versions, the Mac version is always one
    version behind the PC. Software companies always produce the PC version
    first and then take their sweet time later to issue the Mac version.

    WannabeSomeone, Dec 21, 2005
  11. baker1

    Mamamia Guest

    <>
    ,
    me too.
    Whatever floats your boat. I'm running a mac mini booted off an external
    120G western digital firewire/usb combo drive with no problems. It runs
    faster (7200/8 I think) than the mini runs off the internal drive, and I
    partitioned the external drive so that the bulk of it is used for
    storage. I used disk utility to back up my original drive to the
    firewire drive, and then had to repair disk permissions in order for it
    to boot. After that, it has apparently been smooth sailing, up until
    now. I can back up to the firewire partition or the mini hard drive, or
    both.

    Mamamia, Dec 21, 2005
  12. I use a Mac for CS2 and a PC for mail.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Dec 21, 2005
  13. Difficult to walk into a store and buy Mac software, yes. But there's
    plenty out there and it's just as good and functional as PC software
    (generally better).

    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 21, 2005
  14. Rather Bogus statement, true only if you have to physically go to the
    store-

    http://www.apple.com/store/
    http://www.apple.com/buy/
    http://www.apple.com/guide/
    http://www.warehouse.com/apple/
    http://www.macconnection.com/
    http://www.zones.com/Mac_Zone/
    http://www.macmall.com/

    http://www.insidemacgames.com/
    http://www.macledge.com/
    http://www.macgaming.com/
    http://www.macaddict.com/
    http://www.machome.com/
    http://www.mactech.com/
    http://www.mactoday.com/
    http://macworld.zdnet.com/

    http://www.apple.com/developer/
    http://www.4D.com/
    http://www.activision.com/
    http://www.adobe.com/
    http://www.aladdinsys.com/
    http://www.aliaswavefront.com/
    http://www.aol.com/
    http://www.appgen.com/
    http://www.aspyr.com/
    http://www.barebones.com/
    http://www.blizzard.com/
    http://www.cambridgesoft.com/
    http://www.canto.com/
    http://www.connectix.com/
    http://www.corel.com/
    http://www.chronosnet.com/
    http://www.dantz.com/
    http://www.dataviz.com/
    http://www.fontreserve.com/
    http://www.discreet.com/
    http://www.disney.com/
    http://www.documentexpress.com/
    http://www.earthlink.com/
    http://www.eudora.com/
    http://www.filemaker.com/
    http://www.frontbase.com/
    http://www.godgames.com/
    http://www.graphsim.com/
    http://www-4.ibm.com/software/speech/mac/
    http://www.idsoftware.com/
    http://www.intuit.com/
    http://www.macplay.com/
    http://www.macromedia.com/
    http://www.wizworks.com/macsoft/
    http://www.meetingmaker.com/
    http://www.microsoft.com/
    http://www.multi-ad.com/
    http://www.myob.com/
    http://www.novadevelopment.com/
    http://www.nikonusa.com/
    http://www.omnigroup.com/
    http://www.oracle.com/
    http://www.pangeasoft.net/
    http://www.rainingdata.com/
    http://www.renlearn.com/
    http://www.sassafras.com/
    http://www.smithmicro.com/
    http://www.sony.com/
    http://www.symantec.com/
    http://www.tenon.com/
    http://www.toonboom.com/
    http://www.wolfram.com/

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Dec 21, 2005
  15. <SNIP>

    Rather redundant when you really only need one link:

    www.microsoft.com

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 21, 2005

  16. Barf,.

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Dec 21, 2005
  17. He was talking about Apple hardware running both OS's, not PC hardware.
    "The Steve" has already said he would do anything to keep people from
    running Windows on the '86 Macs.

    Now, the other guys may suddenly decide to use TPM to keep their next
    OS off the Macs, but do you really see that happening?

    Scott Schuckert, Dec 21, 2005
  18. baker1

    C Wright Guest

    Wow, your post was long but IMO very helpful to anyone thinking of switching
    to the Mac. I have snipped most of it but couldn't resist commenting on
    just a few of your points.
    Chuck
    Apple now (finally) does supply an Apple branded two button mouse. After
    market mouse's (mice!), for example Logtech, do indeed work extremely well.
    Indeed, OSX and a wide screen make Photoshop a real joy to use.
    Absolutely true! If a person has only one or two PC applications, that are
    not graphic intensive, that they absolutely must use on a Mac, VPC is just
    barely tolerable. If someone needs to run a number of PC applications, or
    PC applications that are graphic intensive (specially games), they would be
    best off keeping their PC for those apps. Another thing about VPC is that
    you are actually running Windows (XP, 2000, etc.) on your Mac so you have to
    now worry about all of the Windows viruses, worms, etc.
    Have you tried Intego's Virus Barrier and Net Barrier written specifically
    for the Mac. They provide regular updates but only for Mac specific
    problems.
    One of the must common problems in this regard that I have noticed is with
    folks using those little USB thumb drives. They drag files from the USB
    drive to the trash then drag the drive icon to the trash and unplug the
    drive. The next time they use the drive they wonder why it is already full!
    What they forget is that it is necessary to actually empty the trash while
    the USB drive is still plugged in.
    True, it will crash but in my experience it is very rare. I have had
    probably 4 crashes in two years with the Mac running 8-14 hours per day (not
    using Symantec's software).

    C Wright, Dec 21, 2005
  19. baker1

    piperut Guest

    If we want to get right to the nuts and bolts of it... the OP did ask
    about a UNIX system...

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/
    Don't let its elegant and easy-to-use interface fool you. Beneath the
    surface of Mac OS X lies an industrial-strength UNIX foundation hard at
    work to ensure that your computing experience remains free of system
    crashes and compromised performance. Time-tested security protocols in
    Mac OS X keep your Mac out of harm's way.

    MAC OS is based on FreeBSD.

    roland

    piperut, Dec 21, 2005
  20. baker1

    eyalnevo Guest

    I switched from PC to Mac a month ago and I love every minute of it. I
    have a PC laptop and a PC desktop at work and I cant wait to get home
    and sit in front of my new iMac G5.

    In terms of your use, I think it's pretty pretty much a concensus that
    iMovie and Final Cut have much friendlier interfaces than Premier's,
    and unlike what people usually say about Macs, in this case with a Mac
    you have the option of choosing between Final Cut and Premier, but if
    you get a PC you will never be able to use Final Cut.

    The one drawback for me, as an amature photographer is that there is no
    Picasa for Mac, and I think it's far superior to iPhoto, though I'm
    getting Apple Aparture.

    Ask yourself this also- which one is cooler, which one I will smile at
    in the morning.
    And also- which one has less viruses and worms.

    Somebody said something about problems- there are far less problems and
    bugs with Macs, and though there are less users, they are FAR more
    knowledgable and helpful. Since it's truly a religion, or a sect, they
    are more than happy to help the newly converted.

    eyalnevo, Dec 21, 2005