    Ray Fischer Guest

    And Macs are no different from PCs in that regard. Meanwhile my Mac
    has had major OS upgrades with no hardware upgrade required.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 27, 2005

  2. Because it works well for many users, really.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 27, 2005

  3. As someone who uses both Wintel and OS X platforms every day (as well
    as a smattering of Linux) I have no axe to grind here.

    I can't help but wonder what the hell this thread has to do with
    rec.photo.digital. It may have some tenuous connection to the group
    title at the start, but has quickly degenerated into the usual Mac
    versus Wintel bitchfest. Why not take it to one of the advocacy
    groups where discussions of a religious nature, such as this one,
    might be more on topic?

    Feck Arse Drink, Dec 27, 2005
  4. baker1

    Nikon User Guest

    <>
    ,
    I went from 8.6 to 10.3 on my Grape G3 iMac.

    Nikon User, Dec 27, 2005
  5. baker1

    Nikon User Guest

    Probably because Xerox didn't own the rights, as they were developed
    under a government contract. I am sure they would have LOVED to be
    able to exploit them for themselves...[/QUOTE]

    Actually, Apple licensed the rights from Xerox.

    Nikon User, Dec 27, 2005
  6. You most likely are an "A.O.L" user. So my question is what does it
    hurt you? And why not just killfile the thread or ignore it- rather
    than being perceived as a jack-ass. With all the usual spam that lands on
    these groups which btw I have quite efficiently removed using various
    filters I think the thread can easily be tolerated considering no one is
    shouting and no one is being overly annoying until now.

    As stated early on in the thread someone stated it was opening a huge
    can of worms notice the OP is no longer in sight,......and many have
    made their cases. So what does it hurt?

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Dec 27, 2005
  7. It sucks because it reminds me of other stuff that sucks. In fact, it
    sucks in ways that stuff hasn't sucked before. :)

    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 28, 2005
  8. baker1

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    8.0 to 10.4.3 (so far) on my 266 MHz WallStreet PowerBook.

    Bruce Hoult, Dec 28, 2005
  9. baker1

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    I also use several different OSes every day. No advocacy here -- use
    what works for you -- but I don't like seeing misinformation posted by
    the ignorant or those with axes to grind.

    Bruce Hoult, Dec 28, 2005
  10. baker1

    Cynicor Guest

    Cynicor, Dec 28, 2005
  11. baker1

    Ray Fischer Guest

    You're a liar.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 28, 2005
  12. baker1

    ASAAR Guest

    But that's exactly what the original Mac ad campaign was based on,
    a near religious way of life, even including paid Mac evangelists.
    That won't work. Once indoctrinated, even logic will be of little
    use in convincing those committed to faith based computing. It
    shouldn't be a way of life, but that was a part of the plan, one
    that was necessary to compensate for excessively high prices.

    ASAAR, Dec 28, 2005
  13. baker1

    Bill Funk Guest

    Because for broadcast, the extra quality is worth it.
    Pros are in the minority.
    Read what I wrote: in the marketplace, VHS won, because the majority
    of consumers wanted what VHS offered over Beta. While pros are
    consumers, they comprise a very small part of the consumer market
    (consumers beiong thise who consume what's marketed).
    You can argue all you want, but them's the facts. Want proof? Look for
    Beta decks.

    Bill Funk, Dec 28, 2005
  14. baker1

    Bill Funk Guest

    Wow, Ray, you're quick to call people liars, aren't you?
    Read what was written again.
    You responded to:
    "In reality it's a PC and Intel world, even Mac has migrated to an
    Intel platform. The sheer facts are Apple couldn't economically
    continue to use overpriced hardware and expect its fan base to buy new
    hardware every time they have a software revision."
    Now, if you only wanted to reply to part of that, you should have been
    clear. Instead, you said it was all untrue.
    You're wrong.
    Go ahead, you can admit it. I'll even understand if you say you didn't
    mean to respond to all of it.
    Give it a try, you'll feel better.

    Bill Funk, Dec 28, 2005
  15. I believe you're misinterpreting the specs. Drives do have a finite
    lifetime, which should be specified in the datasheet. The MTBF figure
    applies only to drives operating within their expected lifetime, and
    it's an average over many drives.

    For example, suppose a drive had a 1.2 million hour MTBF, but an
    operating lifetime of 5 years - so the MTBF is 27 times longer than the
    lifetime. This means that if you started 27 of them running all at the
    same time, you'd expect only one of them to fail within the 5 year
    lifetime - that's one failure over 1.2 million hours accumulated by all
    27 drives. Or you'd expect 2 failures among 54 drives, 4 among 108
    drives, etc.

    However, once the 5 years is up, the MTBF figure no longer applies, and
    the failure rate will go way up - with most failures due to wearout.
    If you (unwisely) kept using the drives, probably every one of them
    would fail before 10 years - though that's only 88000 hours.

    The MTBF only predicts drive failure rate for drives operating within
    their specs, including the operating lifetime.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 28, 2005
  16. baker1

    Nikon User Guest

    That's not what I said, and the fact that you try to make it so is
    one of the things that puts me off Macs.[/QUOTE]

    You said that the zeal of Mac people put you off Macs; that certainly
    sounds their zeal is more important to you than the hardware and
    software features.

    Your anti-Mac zeal puts me off you.

    Nikon User, Dec 28, 2005
  17. baker1

    Nikon User Guest

    Stating facts is bashing? Gee, what a wonderful way to ignore things;
    "I know it's a fact, but I don't like it, so it's bashing."
    Yes, I have several things (including computers) that are more than a
    year old. We tend to keep things until the no longer work, or no
    longer fit our needs. (We just replaced a 13-year old vehicle, for
    example; the other one we have is 7 years old. Does that count?) What
    does that have to do with what I wrote?[/QUOTE]

    Stop being so disingenuous. You know perfectly well that he was asking
    if you had any information less than a year old to support your anti-Mac
    tirades. *That* has plenty to do with what you wrote.

    Nikon User, Dec 28, 2005
  18. baker1

    Ray Fischer Guest

    If you don't like being called a liar than stop lying.
    I did NOT say it was all untrue. You're either a liar or a dumbshit
    who cannot read. And the fact that you failed to quote MY words is
    just further evidence of your dishonesty.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 28, 2005
  19. baker1

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Your demonization sure looks like the fanaticism of the cultist.
    You cannot argue merits so you attack other people.

    Ray Fischer, Dec 28, 2005
  20. baker1

    Bystander Guest

    Huh. There you go again -- I don't make Macs, or sell them, or even use
    them exclusively -- I have a Windows XP box with an Athlon CPU I put
    together from parts, which I use as a server and to run some PC software
    -- we've never met, I don't even live on the same side of the planet as
    you -- and yet I'm now one of the things that puts you off Macs.

    Like I said, what the other kids say is apparently more important to you
    than how this stuff actually works.
    If by "twist things", you mean "extract the underlying meaning", then I
    must be guilty. I plead extenuating circumstances -- I went to
    university.
    Conversely... oh, I can't be bothered.
    How true. How very, very true,
    Well, obviously.