Are You At The Mercy Of Computer Geeks?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by OurCompGuy, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. OurCompGuy

    OurCompGuy Guest

    Are You At The Mercy Of Computer Geeks?

    Many business owners are sabotaging their business without even
    realizing it. They are completely out of the loop when it comes to all
    technology aspects of their operation such as websites, computers and
    software. They become completely dependent on their technical people
    and naively believe that things are "being taken care of".

    This "head in the sand" approach is very dangerous. Here are just a few
    scenarios of what can happen:

    Your webmaster is the only person who knows the username, password and
    other improtant settings for your website. If the webmaster suddenly
    stops responding to your phone calls or e-mails (which I've seen happen
    many times), you would have no idea how to hand off the website updates
    to another person.

    Your programmer no longer wishes to work with you. When you hire a
    replacement, it turns out that there is no documentation for the
    program, the code is unreadable, and it will be cheaper for you to buy
    a new program than salvage this "sinking ship".

    The software that was developed for your business theoretically does
    all that was required, but there is one big problem: it is sitting idle
    because it is so confusing that nobody wants to use it.

    The web server crashes and your website files get erased. Then it turns
    out that nobody has a backup copy...

    Read the entire article at
    http://www.ourcomputertips.com/computer/are_you_at_the_mercy_of_computer_geeks.html

    OurCompGuy, Jan 19, 2007

  2. At the mercy of people like you? I hope not.

    that article was not very technical.
    you should post more technical articles, like this

    http://www.karathecomputertutor.com/turning_computer_onandoff.htm

    I'd like to see an article on how to find the monitor hole. How to
    identify the power cord, e.t.c.
    With videos.

    And it'd be useful if there was a way to ensure that the tray stays
    out. It keeps sucking itself back in.

    jameshanley39, Jan 22, 2007