  1. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Pete D Guest

    That wireless printing is already here???

    Pete D, Jun 19, 2007

  2. Heh. And how many cameras have WiFi?

    Do you not understand the difference between wireless peripheral connections
    and wireless networks? Ok, fine.

    Just accept it'd need bluetooth on both the camera and the printer.

    This does not give you the device we were talking about however: a device that
    stores ALL your photos, allows basic editing, exporting and printing as well
    as display on a home entertainment system.

    The technology is all there, but does not involve WiFi. And certainly does not
    involve Ethernet or USB, 'cause, get this: They're WIRED.

    I don't want a networked camera; the overhead in setting up, securing and
    administering is ridiculous. Not to mention the power consumption.

    As I already said: the technology is all available, although none of it
    offered by your printer, just not been packaged up into something you can buy yet.

    Richard Polhill, Jun 20, 2007

  3. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Pete D Guest

    LOL, perhaps a red pill will make you feel better.

    Pete D, Jun 20, 2007
  4. Pushing drugs now?

    Richard Polhill, Jun 20, 2007
  5. A few ATM.

    Canon, kodak, nikon, sony, samsung make them.. there may be others.

    [email protected], Jun 20, 2007
  6. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Pete D Guest

    Don't you be giving facts now, it seems to be confusing some here. ;-)

    Pete D, Jun 21, 2007
  7. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Ray Macey Guest

    I'm giving Lightroom a go now with the 30 day trial, and I must say
    I'm impressed at its ability to handle keywords. Heirachial keywords,
    synonyms, batch appending (rather than over-writing). It works on all
    the RAW files I've thrown at it (mostly using sidecar files, but
    that's fine with me) as well as JPEGs. Now if only I could make it
    create copies of the original file it jpeg format rather than TIFF or
    photoshop format when I'm trying to post process a file, it would be
    literally perfect...

    Ray

    Ray Macey, Jun 29, 2007
  8. Wayne J. Cosshall, Jun 29, 2007
  9. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Ray Macey Guest

    Export puts it through the exposure process again, meaning a needless
    occurrence of JPEG compression. What I'm looking for, is say that I
    take an image in JPEG format. It's completely unprocessed. When I
    use Lightroom to open it in an image editor for processing outside of
    Lightroom itself, it creates it as a TIFF(or photoshop file) first,
    meaning that I do my post processing, save the final result as a JPEG
    and have a redundant TIFF file hanging around. I'd like it if it
    would create a bit for bit identical copy of the JPEG straight from my
    camera, and use that as the launching point for my post processing, so
    that there is no redundant in between file. Of course, this wouldn't
    work if you'd done any post processing to the jpeg in Lightroom
    itself, but in the event you haven't, it would be nice to avoid the
    middle step

    In any case, that's a minor annoyance in an otherwise fantastic piece
    of software.

    Ray

    Ray Macey, Jun 29, 2007
  10. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Aaron Guest

    I don't recall if the Library module allows you to create a physical
    copy, but what you want is to edit the original rather than "a copy
    with Lightroom adjustments." Editing the original will open it in
    whatever format it is, directly off the disk. I guess if you're only
    using Lightroom for its organization capabilities rather than its
    development capabilities, that would be all you'd need.

    Again, I'm not sure how to streamline making the editing copy into the
    Lightroom workflow, but there is probably something you can do.

    Aaron, Jul 3, 2007
  11. Wayne J. Cosshall

    UC Guest

    UC, Jul 3, 2007
  12. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Allen Guest

    What part of rec.photo.DIGITAL? Now tell us who's the moron.

    Allen, Jul 3, 2007
  13. Wayne J. Cosshall

    UC Guest

    This is in alt.photography, ASSHOLE!

    UC, Jul 3, 2007
  14. Ray-

    I think I just did it. Here are the things I recall: Hit Cmd-E, and
    choose to edit a copy without LR adjustments. [maybe the others will
    work, too.] In the next dialogue, set it to be 8 bits. Do your editing,
    then flatten the image, and Save. It will return the edited image next
    to the one you started with. No TIFF or PSD hanging around.

    John McWilliams, Jul 3, 2007
  15. Now, now children, learn to read headers.

    fu set

    John McWilliams, Jul 3, 2007
  16. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Kadin2048 Guest

    From what I understand, you're looking for a piece of software that will
    edit the actual JPEG original, *without decompressing it* to an
    intermediate format first, even internally.

    I'm not sure if you're going to find much that does this. Most software
    tools are designed to work on an uncompressed bitmap/raster; while there
    are tools that perform some gross edits to compressed JPEGs (rotations,
    cropping), you're not going to be doing much fine tweaking.

    A little Googling* turned up "Better JPEG," which claims to do lossless
    JPEG rotations/flips, crops, canvas resizing, and red-eye removal.
    Website here: http://www.betterjpeg.com/
    It also claims to be able to do 'Copy/Paste to and from an external
    editor for local retouching without full recompression (lossless)' but
    I'm not sure exactly how that works. (Maybe it does some sort of diff on
    the start and end image and only changes/recompresses the changed areas.)

    But whole-image adjustments like levels, white balance, HSV? I don't
    think you'll be able to do those without recompression.

    -Kadin

    [*] Google term was "lossless jpeg editing"

    Kadin2048, Jul 3, 2007
  17. The only idiot here is you if you believe that only film constitutes
    photography. Go away and learn something about what you do, if you
    actually do any photography. Photography is photography, whatever the
    capture device is.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
    http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
    Personal art site http://www.cosshall.com/

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Jul 3, 2007
  18. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Pete D Guest

    And yet you managed to post to:
    alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    You are looking a bit silly now I think perhaps if you are not an "ASSHOLE"
    you will apologise?

    Over to you red leader!!

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Jul 4, 2007
  19. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Ray Macey Guest

    Wow, that's a somewhat counter intuitive way of doing it, given that
    it still states TIFF or PSD on the window that shows, but it works
    like a charm. Thanks!

    Ray

    Ray Macey, Jul 4, 2007
  20. Wayne J. Cosshall