    There is no lens I know of that can satisfy anyone 100%, even if the
    subject use for the lens is narrowly-defined. There is always
    something that can be improved in a lens.

    RichA, Dec 29, 2011

  2. I am satisfied with each lens I have. But then, I live in the real
    world, where expectations are, uh, obtainable.

    John McWilliams, Dec 29, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    You aren't making sense here, Rich. I can think of quite a few lenses
    that quite closely approach optical perfection, and of a lot of people
    who are extremely pleased with them

    There are also lenses that are far from optically perfect but whose
    imperfect renditions contribute strongly to the artistic quality of
    their results. The most extreme examples would be Lomo and Lensbaby,
    two product lines that have managed to define grossly imperfect optics
    as an art form, but there are many other less extreme examples that
    are sought after *because* they are imperfect. People just like the
    results.

    Bruce, Dec 29, 2011
  4. RichA

    charles Guest

    I want a lens like NASA used to watch the launch of the space shuttle.

    Oh, with macro capability, and pocket size.

    charles, Dec 29, 2011
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    There is quite a list of lenses that perform best wide open, or close
    to wide open. Most are made by Leica, some by Zeiss, some by others.

    They are not available at consumer-grade prices so it is highly
    likely that you have zero experience of them. But your lack of
    knowledge does not mean that they do not exist.

    I am fortunate to own several outstanding lenses and I am absolutely,
    100% happy with them, even (or perhaps especially) when I use them
    wide open. A great many users of similar lenses feel exactly the
    same. So your original assertion is nonsense.

    Bruce, Dec 30, 2011
  6. RichA

    nick c Guest

    I am indeed satisfied. I would be doubly satisfied if my photographic
    talent was as good as my photographic equipment. :))

    nick c, Dec 30, 2011
  7. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    If you found the perfect lens, you would never be satisfied with it.
    You will always find something to whine and gripe about, because that
    is all you ever do.

    The problem does not lie in the imperfections of the lens. The
    problem is you.

    Bruce, Dec 30, 2011
  8. RichA

    TheRealSteve Guest

    Being satisfied with something, anything including lenses, is a
    personal relationship between you and your lens. One person can be
    100% satisfied with a lens that another would think is crap. From
    what you're saying, you would be satisfied with a lens that didn't
    soften or aberrate or have any more noticeable imperfections wide open
    than stopped down a bit. So here's the answer for you: JB weld a post
    to your lens that prevents it from going wide open. Simple. Turn your
    f3.5 lens into an f5.6 lens. Turn your f1.4 lens into an f2.8 lens and
    just forget that it could ever go to f1.4. Think of it as a perfect
    f2.8 and you'll be 100% satisfied.

    Oh, and don't forget to limit the aperture on the small side to, say,
    f11 so you can't complain about diffraction.

    Steve

    TheRealSteve, Dec 30, 2011
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    LOL
    Assuming he didn't need to do all that, and the "perfect lens" was
    available, he wold complain about the price. He wouldn't buy it anyway,
    so what's the difference.

    PeterN, Dec 30, 2011
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    No difference, not with contrast, sharpness, resolution? Kudos to
    Canon if this is the case.

    RichA, Jan 3, 2012
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    You probably decided to buy the 85mm before Nikon brought out the new
    one. Had you bought it, then once the new one hit the shelves with
    its (presumably) incrementally better performance, you'd want it.
    Therefore, you would not be 100% satisfied with it, because there was
    a better choice out there. You might rationalize sticking with the
    old one on a cost-basis (for example) but it will never satisfy you as
    much as the new one could, therefore you are not 100% satisfied.
    Even when there is no new choice, there is never 100% satisfaction
    because there "could" be better lenses coming.

    RichA, Jan 3, 2012