    Anyone with a modern camera with the LCD that will work in brighter
    conditions?

    Ken

    Ken, Apr 22, 2009

  2. That's what a viewfinder is for. They are becoming a rare breed, but you
    can still find them.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 22, 2009

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Sone of the Canons have them but not a wide angle lens I need. My Nikon 7900
    has a viewfinder but with only a 75% of what you see is what you get. So I
    end up using it and cropping in the software to get what I need for my idea
    of the right composition.

    Ken

    Ken, Apr 22, 2009
  4. Ken

    Charles Guest

    LCDs are terrible in outside bright light.

    Charles, Apr 22, 2009
  5. Much the same problem, here. Sometimes when it's really bad,
    I use my ball cap, or my jacket to shade the screen a bit.
    Like the old guys with the 4 x 5 view cameras used to do.

    --
    Christopher A. Young
    Learn more about Jesus

    I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal
    light sometimes
    have to take a guess when outside that I have got the
    subject in frame. I
    was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or
    bigger LCD screen
    but only if I feel convinced they are better to use outside.
    Whats the point
    in having to guess the shot???

    Stormin Mormon, Apr 23, 2009
  6. Ken

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    I bought a Canon SX110 IS two weeks ago. Its LCD works well in bright
    sunlight.

    Shawn Hirn, Apr 23, 2009
  7. Ken

    Bob Williams Guest

    You may want to consider a camera with an EVF (Electronic View
    Finder)such as one of the Panasonic FZ series.
    They show 100% of what the sensor captures. NO guess work at all!
    You can crop exactly how you want the image to look. Not having to crop
    later, effectively gives you more pixels to use in the image itself.
    The FZ-50 is Panny's Flagship entry in the big zoom competition.
    It isn't pocketable by any means but it is incredibly versatile and puts
    you in charge of most photographic situations.
    Like ALL small sensor cameras, it suffers a bit in very low light level
    situations. But IMHO, its benefits far outweigh this shortcoming.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Apr 23, 2009
  8. Charles wrote:
    []
    You haven't seen a transreflective LCD, have you?

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 23, 2009
  9. Ken

    J. Clarke Guest

    How wide do you need to go? The 7900 has 38mm equivalent. A Canon G10 goes
    to 28mm equivalent, which is a great deal wider, but still has the 77% or so
    optical finder. You might want to look into something like an SX10IS, which
    has an eye-level LCD that works fine in sunlight and a lens that goes to
    28mm equivalent.

    Alternatively, just get yourself a DSLR and whatever wide angle you need and
    be done with it.

    J. Clarke, Apr 23, 2009
  10. I haven't, but my camera also has a live view video output, so with a
    piece of wire and a portable LCD monitor which is easily viewable in
    bright sunlight (and devours batteries :) I can use live view in the
    sun.

    But I mostly use it as a way of seeing the live view when I'm several
    feet away from the camera. For simple holiday snaphot portability a
    small folding black umbrella keeps both rain and sun off the camera.

    Chris Malcolm, Apr 23, 2009
  11. Ken

    Mike S. Guest

    I'm not the OP, but your point is a good one.

    I have seen a transflective screen. I see it every day on my Nokia cell
    phone, and every time I drive, on my Garmin GPS unit. Both of them are
    equally readable (but not necessarily true to color) in the dark as well
    as bright, direct sunlight.

    Why the hell can't camera makers get with the program?

    Mike S., Apr 23, 2009
  12. Ken

    ray Guest

    Exactly. IMHO - today's LCD screens are not any good in any weather. I
    can't compose a picture with the camera is out at arm's length - I use a
    Kodak P850 with a decent EVF and I use that.

    ray, Apr 23, 2009
  13. I suspect it's the current impossibility of getting reasonably good
    colours and contrasts over the transmissive/reflective transition
    which bothers them. The LCD would stop being a reasonably accurate
    impression of the final image and could mislead people.

    Chris Malcolm, Apr 24, 2009
  14. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Thanks you to you all for helping with this.

    Coincidently we had a friend stay this weekend who had a Paznasonic FZ18 so
    was able to make comparisons with my Nikon. It does prove the modern cameras
    LCD can be viewed in bright conditions. But it also proved that I don't want
    to carry this size of camera around. So I am now looking for smaller like
    the Panasonic TZ5 or TZ4 but the drawback is no viewfinder but good zoom.
    The Canon G10 looks perfect but I haven't go that sort of budget £400!!!
    Half that at most :)

    So 28mm, viewfinder, image stabilisation, £200 max and I will start looking
    at Dpreview unless anyone shouts with suggestions. I see Sony DSC W170 looks
    interesting and wonder if anyone has any experience of this camera?

    Ken

    Ken, Apr 27, 2009
  15. Ken

    Ken Guest

    If money was no problem this would be my idea of the right camera - well the
    G10

    Ken

    Ken, Apr 28, 2009