    remember the name at present) are also needed. I just wanted to ask people
    here who are probably a lot more intelligent than this guy, do I need more
    anti-spyware programs or are the 2 I use enough?

    Null, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Null

    Mike T. Guest

    I've used the same two programs (religiously running and updating) and have
    had no problems (I'll add a YMMV here for the sake of completeness). Keep in
    mind that you could have all the programs in the world, but the first best
    source of protection is being smart enough not to open attachments you're
    not expecting or visit questionable sites.

    Mike

    Mike T., Nov 15, 2006

  3. Null

    Null Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I am very careful with attachments and only open them
    if I know who they are from.

    Thanks though Mike.

    Null, Nov 15, 2006
  4. Read the "Note on XoftSpy: " on this page, and you decide:
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#xos_note

    There are other known good ones. See:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#spyware

    ...but the most important one sits in front of the keyboard:
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 15, 2006
  5. But does everyone who sends you email do the same thing with email that they
    receive? The link to http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html that BTS posted
    is well worth a visit by the look of it.

    Hate to sound like a Linux Nazi, but if you really want to opt out of
    spyware and viruses then this is what you should be using. Its not that
    malware doesn't exist for this operating system, but it is astonishingly
    rare given the prevalence of Windows in the marketplace and the fact that
    Linux is inherently far more secure.

    Richard Parkin, Nov 15, 2006
  6. Null

    old man Guest

    Laugh back at your friend XSoftSpy doesnt figure in the top category in the
    review I looked at

    old man, Nov 15, 2006
  7. Null

    PeeCee Guest

    Null

    Just removed Xoftspy from a clients PC, runs better without it.
    Research on the Web indicates it's ineffective at best, loaded with
    affiliate clutter and other dodgy clingons at worst.

    Best advice:

    Up to date AntiVirus (not Norton, to bloated)
    Stick to Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender
    & Ewido.
    Keep them up to date and scan, use your 'suspicious' meter (as you have
    indicated)

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Nov 15, 2006
  8. Null

    thanatoid Guest

    All the other advice is good, but the most important thing about
    web surfing is not using Internet Explorer/Outlook Express. 99%
    or more of all the "trouble" enters via its welcoming
    "features".

    Try Opera and OffbyOne (it may appear extremely limited at first
    but it is 100% secure and eliminates the worst of what I
    consider pure web annoyances - popups, scripts, flash, Java,
    etc. - by virtue of the fact it simply does not recognize them).

    For Usenet I recommend XNews but there are dozens of choices.

    thanatoid, Nov 16, 2006
  9. Null

    ProfGene Guest

    They are most likely enough if you follow certain practices. Use
    Mozzilla instead of Microsoft for browser and email. Stay away from porn
    sites, free game sites, free anything else sites and always clean out
    your cookies and temp internet files on a daily basis.

    ProfGene, Nov 24, 2006
  10. Null

    Frosty Guest

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 22:34:31 -0600 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
    sat on ProfGene <>'s chest like a vulture, I said "Pluck
    It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you can throw it
    up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
    And don't forget to avoid "cracks" sites!
    And Warez stuff.

    Frosty, Nov 25, 2006