    Comments are most welcome.
    regards,
    ->HS

    H. S., Oct 31, 2003

  2. H. S.

    H. S. Guest

    Thanks for your comments Zol. The merging of two photos didn't strike my
    mind, I might try this tonight.
    Ahaa ... I was just thinking about how to view that info. I use Linux
    and have gimp, xv, gqview, etc to view the images. Any idea how to view
    that info on Linux? I will also try to search google for this.

    regards,
    ->HS

    H. S., Oct 31, 2003

  3. H. S.

    Bandicoot Guest

    With any cheap camera you are going to get plenty of noise, CA, and
    loss of detail. For your information, you are reading a newsgroup of
    people who use mostly DSLR's and expensive prosumer models. Try asking
    a Pro Baseball manager for advice on a little league issue. You would
    be ignored. Did you wonder why you didn't get so many responses here?
    Because your camera is a piece of shit and no one cares.

    Bandicoot, Nov 1, 2003
  4. H. S.

    Eric Witte Guest

    With any cheap camera you are going to get plenty of noise, CA, and
    When looking for a digital camera I liked the A300 pictures better
    than some of the $300-$400 cameras I was looking at. A lot better.
    It was not until I got the the $500 range I started liking them
    better. Being on a budget it was an easy choice. The only drawback
    was no zoom. And you have to be careful in low light. Yes I'm picky
    too when it comes to video. The only pictures that I saw that were
    near perfect at 3.4MP were taken with a camera that costs several
    thousand (only price I saw was 1099GBP).

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Nov 1, 2003
  5. H. S.

    Eric Witte Guest

    Try the highest resolution on SF mode. You can downsize later. Some
    quality will still be lost because of the compression but you have
    more data to work with. Hopefully it would at least help with the
    sharpness. Actually I hear Canon does not do a lot of sharpening on
    purpose. Its easier to sharpen than to take it out. I put the middle
    picture in Photoshop, adjusted the color levels and sharpened and it
    looks a LOT better. Increasing the resolution should help a little
    more. The noise does not look too bad for a night shot on this
    camera. Night shots are supposedly one of its week points. It does
    not look all that bad. Photoshop helped this picture too. I can see
    that a little even in a daylight photo on my Finepix 1300. The A300
    that is coming should be an improvement in every sense despite being a
    fairly cheap camera :)

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Nov 2, 2003
  6. H. S.

    Eric Witte Guest

    BTW here is what I have. I did not spend too much time on them.

    ftp://home.houston.rr.com/images/tree.jpg
    ftp://home.houston.rr.com/images/city.jpg

    On the night picture I enhanced the color, removed most of the noise
    in the sky and sharpened the city.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Nov 2, 2003
  7. H. S.

    H. S. Guest

    Hi Eric. Thanks for your comments in your earlier replies to my message.
    I have not tried much post-processing yet on the image, still learning
    how to use Gimp for this :)

    You mentioned the 'lack of sharpness' in Canon cameras. I have read
    about that, but I was under the impression that the problem is most
    pronounced in the A70. The A300 whose pictures I posted online is
    actually meant to be a casual-vacation-camera. Nothing fancy, fixed
    focal length and good enough to take reasonably nice pictures mostly for
    internet purposes and only rarely for printing. And when I started
    experimenting with it, I was pleasantly surprised with the night
    pictures with hardly noticeable noise in ISO 50 and 100 speeds. I was
    only wondering it is significantly worse than what one would get in a G3
    or CP5400 for example. Of course, I wouldn't expect a noiseless image in
    a $200 camera.

    BTW, I am not able to login to your ftp site or download the images. Is
    there a username and/or password I need to know?

    Thanks,
    ->HS

    H. S., Nov 2, 2003
  8. H. S.

    Eric Witte Guest

    Eric Witte, Nov 2, 2003
  9. H. S.

    H. S. Guest

    H. S., Nov 2, 2003
  10. H. S.

    Eric Witte Guest

    In the second one I missed a little around the moon and close to the
    city but they still look a lot better. I'm not sure about being able
    to fix the lack of sharpness on the corners on the other one. This
    model seems to do it but it is only noticeable on some pictures. I'll
    probably end up with a ~$1000 camera in about 2-3 years. I really
    like the Foven technology that is coming out right now. Right now the
    A300 with 400MB should be more than adequate.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Nov 3, 2003