    I am giving away an old computer to a friend and possibly introduce him
    about digital camera as well. I am looking for any free software that I
    can put in the machine. Thanks.

    l e o, Mar 3, 2006

  2. l wrote on Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:33:14 -0500:

    lo> I am giving away an old computer to a friend and possibly
    lo> introduce him about digital camera as well. I am looking
    lo> for any free software that I can put in the machine.
    lo> Thanks.

    If you are familiar with it, you could install Linux and provide
    GIMP and Office Suite but that's probably a lot to do and might
    involve your friend in a steep learning curve. One free program
    that could be useful and quite easy to use is IrfanView.

    James Silverton.

    James Silverton, Mar 3, 2006

  3. l e o

    Matt Ion Guest

    IrfanView, definitely... and Picassa and/or the free version of
    Paintshop Pro 7 for image editing (there's a Windows version of GIMP
    available too).

    OpenOffice.org for an excellent free office suite.

    Give him some free system protection with SpyBot antispyware and Avast!
    antivirus, and if you're running XP, Microsoft Antispyware as well.

    WinRAR is a good shareware (nagware) archiver.

    Don't forget Adobe Acrobat Reader.

    If he does audio editing, toss in Audacity.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0609-3, 03/03/2006
    Tested on: 3/3/2006 7:42:47 AM

    Matt Ion, Mar 3, 2006
  4. l e o

    grruffbowwow Guest

    Tons o' free software available; quality is going way up, too. I have
    my favorites that I use daily. For starters, try XnView, Irfanview, and
    Picasa 2. GIMP for Windows is an excellent program, but it'll
    intimidate a new user.

    grruffbowwow, Mar 3, 2006
  5. l e o

    rafe b Guest

    I'll second XnView. Only one complaint: upon bulk-conversion
    of TIFFs to JPGs, XnView apparently lost the color-space tags.

    XnView is great for bulk actions on groups of files and for
    making contact sheets.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Mar 3, 2006
  6. l e o

    Onno Voors Guest

    Apart from Irfanview, which has already been recommended, I would suggest
    the excellent Photofiltre for photo editing and MyAlbum for organizing.

    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/
    http://www.photofiltre.com/

    Onno Voors, Mar 3, 2006
  7. Forget Adobe Acrobat Reader, because it eats your harddisk! Instead, go
    for Foxit Reader (just search it with google): it's much smaller, and
    much faster!

    ivan.lietaert, Mar 3, 2006
  8. l e o

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Lots of good stuff out there. I have a page of recommendations at
    http://www.robertstech.com/software.htm
    It's by no means exhaustive, needless to say, but it's a start.

    Mark Roberts, Mar 4, 2006
  9. l e o

    JunkMonkey Guest

    Gimp and Open Office are available in full Windows versions do a web search
    on the "OpenCD" You can download a complete disk image of all sorts of free
    Open source software, including the Gimp, OpenOffice, firefox, all thebest
    Open source titles.

    JunkMonkey, Mar 4, 2006
  10. l e o

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Irfanview, XnView.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2006
  11. l e o

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Microsoft Antispy has been redesignated 'Windows Defender', with a new,
    harder to use, and confusing, user interface. Who is surprised? Not me!
    Sigh.
    Still, it is a worthwhile, and still free, program.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2006
  12. l e o

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Proof? If this were true, then all my hard drives would have long since
    been 'eaten'. Hasn't happened. I suggest if you wish to promote one
    product over another, you should explain how one is better than the
    other, rather than making outlandish claims as to the reliability of one
    offering.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2006
  13. l e o

    lacunae Guest

    besides the stuff people have mentioned (openoffice, mozilla stuff,
    adobe reader, irfanview, picasa, etc):

    some of the older versions of serif software
    are easy to use and free: www.freeserifsoftware.com

    RawShooter essential 2006 (www.pixmantec.com)

    if the computer will have windows 95/98/me/nt/2000 (ie: pre-xp
    windows), then multimedia xplorer is handy and free:
    http://www.moonsoftware.com/mxplorer.asp

    lacunae, Mar 6, 2006