    Thanks for the advice. I think there are some settings I could
    have played with on mine that would have allowed me to get a better
    image, but I've got to read up a bit on it yet.

    Scotius, Jul 29, 2010

  2. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    I do get that part of it, I assure you, and I did have some
    photos that looked great with the motion blur. I learned how to do a
    bit of that even with the older point and shoot I had... I just have
    to get to know my camera a little better I think... but thanks for the
    advice about shooting when there's a reversal of motion. That could
    blur some areas without the whole person becoming blurry I would
    think, and could make some great shots.

    Scotius, Jul 29, 2010

  3. Scotius

    Peter Guest

    BW infra red changes the tonal quality of BW: You may also have focusing
    issues, unless you have an infra red marker on your lens. I have starting
    experimenting with it, by having one of my digital cameras converted to IR.
    The only way you can get IR color is in post processing. You can convert
    some colors to pseudo IR color. For rock bends you might get some
    interesting effects, but don't count on faithful reproduction.

    Here are some links to get you started:

    http://www.tutorial9.net/photography/infrared-photography/

    http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/101-absolutely-breathtaking-infrared-photographs/

    Peter, Jul 29, 2010
  4. Scotius

    Peter Guest

    Had my Coolpix 8088 done locally. I took just a few days and the cost was
    considerable less.
    It's really not a big deal. Just remove a filter from the sensor.

    Peter, Jul 29, 2010
  5. Scotius

    otter Guest

    Yeah, look at the "ISO Sensitivity" section in your manual. I think
    you can get that camera up to 3200, but you need to see what that does
    to noise.

    otter, Jul 29, 2010
  6. Scotius

    whisky-dave Guest

    I'm not sure that is practical, while you can't see infra red I'm not sure
    if ther';s a flash that flashes infra red.
    I've used colour IR in the past in was the old E4 process
    (slide/transparency film) and from memory the film is very slow for gig
    purposed under 100ASA.
    I've used IR a few times, and gigs quite often. I;m not sure if it'll be any
    good for gigs though.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/616881236/

    whisky-dave, Jul 29, 2010
  7. Scotius

    J. Clarke Guest

    IR is good for snipers and for special effects, but if you're shooting a
    concert there is no substitute for high ISO and large aperture.

    Some fabrics are somewhat transparent in infrared--you may end up
    effectively shooting your performers in their underwear. Here's one
    example that demonstrates the issue:
    <>. If you
    search youtube on "see through clothing infrared" or "nightshot see
    through clothes" you'll find numerous other examples.

    J. Clarke, Jul 29, 2010
  8. Scotius

    Peter Guest

    Agreed! Unless you want the special effects.
    Not all fabrics are transparent to IR.
    Also, fabric transparency is not limited to IR.

    The origin of this was inadvertent.
    http://swimsuits.lovetoknow.com/Sheer_Transparent_Swimwear

    Peter, Jul 29, 2010
  9. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    Thanks. That'll help.

    Scotius, Jul 30, 2010
  10. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    Gee... that would be... terrible... Yeah, I better stay well
    away from that...
    I remember hearing all the hooplah about how the Nightshot was
    "seeing through clothes". Apparently it left little to the imagination
    before they changed how much it sees. Damned corporate worrywarts...

    Scotius, Jul 30, 2010
  11. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    Thanks much.

    I'm not in a position to buy another camera just yet, but I
    might consider this when I am.

    Scotius, Jul 30, 2010
  12. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    It gets pretty noisy at the higher ISO settings, depending on
    how much available light there is. It's okay though, because I can
    always shoot with a faster shutter speed in RAW format and then
    brighten it up without banding at home later on.

    Scotius, Jul 30, 2010
  13. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    What I'll probably end up doing is just shooting with a high
    enough ISO and fast enough shutter speed to have an image but not have
    it blurry, and if I shoot in RAW format, brighten it up later. I've
    noticed that the RAW files don't have "banding" after changing the
    colour or brightening, since there's so much more information there.

    Scotius, Jul 30, 2010