    and it would also be a lot easier if everything was in one box.

    Are there any sanely priced ADSL routers with two ADSL ports which
    will load balance the two connections?

    tinnews, Jan 26, 2009

  2. tinnews

    Rob Morley Guest

    On 26 Jan 2009 17:57:11 GMT
    Dare I suggest a low powered Linux/BSD box with a couple of internal
    modems?

    Rob Morley, Jan 26, 2009

  3. tinnews

    tinnews Guest

    You can dare that but my experience so far with trying to set up such
    a device as a disk server is not all that positive. :)

    I.e. I had an MSI Titan 700 system that died after a few months and
    I've yet to see a reasonably priced really low power (i.e. <20 watts)
    box yet.

    Not to mention that I *still* think setting up a dedicated router as
    firewall, DHCP, etc. is simpler than doing it on a Linux system (and
    I'm running three Linux boxes on the home WAN and have done so for
    several years).

    tinnews, Jan 26, 2009
  4. On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:57:11 +0000, tinnews faxed us with....
    Link balancing: Linksys RT042 and above

    Or really expensive (Barracuda Link Balancer)

    Blah Blah Blah, Jan 26, 2009
  5. tinnews

    Rob Morley Guest

    On 26 Jan 2009 18:47:22 GMT
    That's a low target. I wonder what sort of average consumption a VIA
    Eden based system would manage for your application using strict power
    management.
    I guess you never tried Smoothwall.
    I used to run a 486SX25 (with I think 8MB RAM) as a dialup gateway.
    That's a very different sort of Linuxing to the stuff I run on desktop
    machines these days (though not so different from a regular Slackware
    installation way back when).

    Rob Morley, Jan 26, 2009
  6. tinnews

    tinnews Guest

    Yes, but it's still probably more than a typical 'off the shelf'
    router will use.
    Hmm, well if the web site is anything to go by I'm not convinced.

    I started with Slackware too, only left it a year or so ago.

    tinnews, Jan 26, 2009
  7. tinnews

    Rob Morley Guest

    On 26 Jan 2009 20:35:59 GMT
    In what way? (It looks a lot slicker than when I used it.)
    I got lazy and went with Ubuntu. There are certain aspects of the
    Slackware experience that I miss, but I'm not sure I'd have dumped
    Windows if I hadn't started to use Ubuntu. Having said that, if I
    clean up some space on this disk or get a bigger one I'll probably give
    the new Slackware a go.

    Rob Morley, Jan 27, 2009
  8. tinnews

    tinnews Guest

    Slicker maybe but very little actual information. Where is
    information about installing, running, etc. How do I find out
    anything much about it without downloading it?

    There's nothing that seems to lead you anywhere, for example if you go
    to http://www.smoothwall.org/about/index.php it gives a potted history
    and overview of the GPL project - fine and useful but there are no
    links from there to take you deeper into either its design or how to
    install it.

    I'm still not clear (after hunting around a second time) how one
    actually installs Smoothwall. There's a page about building ISOs
    (http://www.smoothwall.org/get/release/build.php) but, again, I'm not
    sure if this is the normal way of installing it or whether this is
    only if you want something special. Whatever, it hardly strikes me as
    the first aim - Be simple enough to be installed by home users with no
    knowledge of Linux.
    Yes, I'm using Ubuntu too (well xubuntu actually) after a short foray
    into Fedora.

    tinnews, Jan 27, 2009