    capability ?

    There is a $5 book in the stores that's just a less verbose version of
    the manual (an improvement IMO) but not what I'm looking for.

    Al Dykes, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Short courses takes a general template and
    makes a book for almost any camera out there.
    Personally I think this method of making money
    from brand loyal or newbies is somewhat questionable.

    Now - your DSLR is just like any DSLR there are.
    The manual tells you all you have to know about
    the camera specific stuff.

    You have better get you some books on photography instead.

    IMHO - of course.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Al Dykes

    wendeebee Guest

    I have no idea about the content of this package, I just remember seeing it
    on the web when I was looking for more info.

    http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canonrebel.htm

    wendeebee, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Al Dykes

    Paul W. Ross Guest

    Frankly, I have found the best bet -- I have an Olympus C-5000, which
    has a frightful manual -- is to sit down an fool around with it and
    check out all of the features. The "generic" books are generally
    rubbish. The manuals are just that -- reference manuals.

    Since no film/cost is involved, you can just blaze away and see what
    happens!

    If you have a film camera background, then life IS easier. Just pick
    up on the issues that are differenet between film and digital cameras.

    If you are new to photography, then a "generic" book is somewhat
    useful.

    Just go use it... enjoy!

    Paul W. Ross, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Al Dykes

    Charlie Self Guest

    Paul Ross responds:
    Best advice. Read the manual several times with the camera in hand, then start
    treating the camera like a new girlfriend. Fondle it, fool around with it, try
    all the settings two, three, six and thirty times. Shoot pictures of your big
    toe if nothing else offers. See how that ingrown toenail looks at different
    settings.

    Hands on is still the best way to learn.

    Charlie Self
    "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for
    President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

    Charlie Self, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Al Dykes

    Matt Ion Guest

    Here's a great place to start: The "Canon Digital Learning Center"
    http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/rick_sammon.html

    You probably need something with just more general photographic
    info/advice. Try some sites like this:

    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/38&pq-locale=en_US
    http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/sydneyOlympics/walkabout/travelogue_tips/composition_tips.shtml

    Matt Ion, Sep 27, 2004
  7. Al Dykes

    GT40 Guest

    Magic Lantern guides have been suggested for other cameras, don't know
    if there is one for your camera.

    GT40, Sep 27, 2004