    and even appeared on some review sites. what do you guys think? I'd
    like to hear some opinions on this.

    P.S. Please don't bring DSLRs into this; we know it already.

    Mike Henley, Jul 8, 2004

  2. (Mike Henley) wrote in
    The troll of the day by Mike H/Sabinellen. Check the Google archives and DP
    Review for some educated opinions.

    Richard Cockburn, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Mike Henley

    fs Guest

    Yes the newer 8 MP suck in noise, but better resolution so decide.

    fs, Jul 8, 2004
  4. I think it's something you need to decide for yourself.

    - personally, I think that people object far too much about noise. For
    me, noise can add character to an image....

    - unless you need very big prints (larger than 8 x 10 inches, say), you
    may not need 8MP - 5MP may be enough.

    - so is the 8MP worth the extra cost?

    - or do the new or updated features in the 8MP cameras justify the cost?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 8, 2004
  5. Mike Henley

    Mark Johnson Guest

    I don't have the Oly C8080, for example. But I would imagine the noise
    is no worse on this than the C5050. The question might be over the
    color range, as some have suggested, or degradation as the camera
    heats up. But I think you can solve a lot of such problems in PS. The
    8080 would produce very large RAW files. With inexpensive CF that
    might not be the issue it was just last year. And, if you can't really
    fill the viewfinder/LCD, the larger format allows you to crop. I would
    consider the 8080 principally for its ability to compose after the
    fact, and to crop that which you just couldn't get in the field,
    without perhaps losing DOF or introducing aberations.

    Mark Johnson, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    The Redundant day of by Richard C. Thanks for the broken track tip
    ;-)

    p.s. Check out rpe35mm for the provenance of this - his - post; the
    disagreement we just had over there. Good to see you carry vexation
    across newsgroups and topics, out of relevance and context, Richard.
    :)

    Mike Henley, Jul 8, 2004