    negotiated every time.

    So do I need special cables for Gigabit or do I have duff patch cables? I
    thought Cat 5 did Gigabit!

    Trust No One®, Dec 31, 2008

  2. <snip>

    Looks like I need Cat5e or Cat6 cables to support Gigabit speed.

    I'll get my coat....

    Trust No One®, Jan 1, 2009

  3. Trust No One®

    Stephen Guest

    you need 4 pair cables and the pairing needs to line up correctly.

    GigE 1000-Base-T ports test the cabling before allowing the port to be
    used, to make sure all 8 wires are connected.

    in theory you also need Cat5 or better - but for 2m anything better
    than wet string would work if the pairing was correct.

    Stephen, Jan 1, 2009