    gone the way of all flesh.

    Can anybody tell me of a CD reader that is forgiving of disks with
    problems?

    Richard Wright, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Richard Wright

    Bill Yerkes Guest

    More diligent rather than forgiving. The "better" readers seem to be more
    apt to read CDs that are slightly out of spec and probably slightly abraded.
    I think it's in the error correction firmware as well as hardware, but I'm
    not a hardware stud.

    Several years ago when I worked at a company that published CDs in the
    thousands, we got a batch in that most of our employees could not read. I
    could, but the effort on part of the reader was noticable. The difference
    was that everyone else had a bundled Mitsumi and I was using an external
    SCSI Toshiba (low end reader versus a better than middling reader). My
    reader sounded a bit like a saw attempting to read the CD, but it got the
    data.

    We learned subsequently that the CDs were manufactured slightly out of spec.

    Bill Yerkes, Aug 16, 2003

  3. That is a possibility, but not the only one. Such things as deterioration
    and/or fading of the dye substrate and a worn lead screw on either the
    original writer or your reader--not to mention others--can also contribute.

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 16, 2003
  4. Richard Wright

    paul s Guest

    It is known for some CDR media to go bad after a couple of years,
    sometimes even months especially the no-name silver cheapo ones. I've
    always used Sony or TDK CDR media, and I've never had one of these go bad
    on me.

    I got one MP3 CDR that a friend gave me a couple of months ago. Originally
    it read perfectly, and now it won't read on any drive. When you look at
    the data side of the CDR you can see some discolouration towards the
    centre of the disc (it's gone more yellowy than the usual green), possibly
    the dye has gone bad.

    paul s, Aug 16, 2003
  5. Richard Wright

    Barry OGrady Guest

    DVD ROM drives seem to be better at reading CDs than CD ROM drives.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Richard Wright

    Kraftee Guest

    It could be software causing the problem, I've got disk which I wrote
    on with the old Adaptec Easy CD (I think) I find that the only machine
    which can read them is a stand alone XP install not any of the others
    which have got Roxio 6 or Nero 6 on it (no CD/DCD writer so don't need
    them)..

    It's just a thought....

    Kraftee, Aug 17, 2003