    And it is certainly causing a discontinuity in the wave.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    Bill Funk Guest

    Years ago, when I started my hobby of listening, there were several
    people who put forth the same argument.
    The resounding response was: NO!
    When the key is off, there's no wave present; you can't modulate
    something that isn't present.
    So, no, it's not a form of modulation.
    It *is*, though, a form of data transmission. :)

    Bill Funk, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    no_name Guest

    I thought the word in cricket was "googlie".

    no_name, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    dj_nme Guest

    That is the cricket term.
    I was puzzled as to what other use the word "google" has.
    The website is Google and the cricketer bowls a googlie.

    dj_nme, Oct 5, 2005
  5. Siddhartha Jain

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    I included the dictionary definition in my previous post...

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Except that it is *not*.
    If the wave is *not there*, it just doesn't exist and has no
    characteristics. When it is there, it is not being modulated.
    Turning it on and off may well produce some modulation effects,
    but that "modulation" is not being used to pass information, and
    in fact is a form of distortion that actually interferes with
    the information rather than enabling it.

    Of course when we get down to practical implementations, in
    almost all cases we do have to treat c.w. as if it a modulation,
    mostly in order to "shape" the distortion products in ways to
    reduce the effects.

    While the difference may not be obvious even at typical
    c.w. speeds, and might be very hard to see at higher speeds...
    think about such things as the very slow speeds often used for
    such things as the original moon bounce work, or for breaking
    path distance records at microwave frequencies. Circumstances
    where a "dash" might be 10 or 20 seconds in length.

    Floyd Davidson, Oct 5, 2005
  7. All very true!

    If course "data" in the sense the OP meant it, where he said

    "all radio transmissions of voice, data, television and
    everything else are ..."

    Didn't mean "data" in the same sense that c.w. is a form of
    "data transmission". For c.w., "data" equates to "information"
    while in the original statement it equates to "computer data"
    organized into 8 bit bytes.

    And while c.w. does transmit information, it is not used for
    "computer data".

    Floyd Davidson, Oct 5, 2005
  8.
    =?iso-8859-1?B?SmFuIEL2aG1l?=, Oct 5, 2005
  9. The noun, yes, which is what one would normally use in most instances.
    But at least according to Jeremy's dictionary there is a corresponding
    verb, "to google".

    Jan Böhme

    =?iso-8859-1?B?SmFuIEL2aG1l?=, Oct 5, 2005
  10. Siddhartha Jain

    no_name Guest

    Ok, I went back through the thread & found the dictionary citation.

    Now for something completely different ...

    The definition doesn't actually tell what it is. It defines google in
    terms of itself; "to have a 'googly' break".

    What exactly makes a "break" googly?

    no_name, Oct 5, 2005
  11. Siddhartha Jain

    Frank ess Guest

    Googly a 'trick' ball bowled by a *leg spin bowler* which spins the
    opposite way to the way the batsman is expecting [also *Bosie,
    wrong'un*] -- _CRICKET EXPLAINED From Grubbers to Googlies-A
    Beginner's Guide to the Great English Pastime_ Robert Eastaway, St,
    Martin's Press 1992

    It'd be remiss to pass through this thread witout mentioning Barney
    Google and his goo- goo- googly eyes.

    Frank ess, Oct 5, 2005
  12. Siddhartha Jain

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    googly, n. Cricket. A ball which breaks from the off, though bowled with
    apparent leg-break action.
    b. attrib. or as adj., esp. in googly bowler, bowling.

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 5, 2005
  13. Siddhartha Jain

    no_name Guest

    Oh yeah, that explains everything!

    So, apparently, it's a googly if it breaks a leg.

    no_name, Oct 6, 2005
  14. Not if it breaks _a_ leg. You see, in this particular instance, "leg"
    is an adjective, and a synonym to "on".

    I'm sure this made it a lot clearer.

    Jan Böhme

    =?iso-8859-1?B?SmFuIEL2aG1l?=, Oct 6, 2005
  15. If the need for the original meaning no longer is there, and it
    replaces a longer term (and "fix-focus" and its likes certainly are
    longer than "prime") it could be considered as an adaptation.

    But I agree that it is a bit doubtful. It might be better to think of
    "prime" in the sense of "fix-focus" as neutral drift that, at one point
    in time, was enabled because there no longer was enough negative
    selection against it.

    Jan Böhme

    =?iso-8859-1?B?SmFuIEL2aG1l?=, Oct 6, 2005