    I thinking of using TrueCrypt to encrypt my C: drive. Does anyone
    know if TrueCrypt allows the use of passphrases instead of a mere
    password? If so, how many characters, with spaces, are allowed?

    marck, Dec 9, 2009

  2. marck

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Dec 9, 2009

  3. marck

    marck Guest

    I did find the FAQ and other docs, but missed the pic you posted.
    That kind of answers my question. Thanks much.

    You know, I really don't understand this stuff about constructing
    passwords or passphrases of the type TrueCrypt recommends, such as
    with number, punctuation, etc. Who can remember that slop. Added to
    that is the contrary advise on the Diceware page, complete with math,
    that argues randomly chosen words cannot be cracked that easily.

    http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html
    http://world.std.com/~reinhold/dicewarefaq.html

    I've always stuck with multi word passphrases. They are a heck of a
    lot easier to remember. So far, I have never forgotten a diceware
    passphrase, and I've been using them for some years with BestCrypt and
    other encryption programs.

    Whatever....

    Thanks again.

    marck, Dec 10, 2009
  4. marck

    Mike Easter Guest

    There is some good information and also links on the diceware pages.
    One of the links there - at the diceware page - I like is the one on
    'shocking nonsense'. I'll paste a couple of sentences from the article
    below.

    http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~conrad/krypto/passphrase-faq.html
    Passphrase FAQ - FAQ: How do I choose a good password or phrase? -
    "Shocking nonsense" means to make up a short phrase or sentence that is
    both nonsensical and shocking in the culture of the user, that is, it
    contains grossly obscene, racist, impossible or other extreme
    juxtaposition of ideas. This technique is permissable because the
    passphrase, by its nature, is never revealed to anyone with
    sensibilities to be offended. -- When you are permitted to use
    passphrases of arbitrary length (in PGP for example) it is not necessary
    to further perturb your 'shocking nonsense' passphrase to include
    numbers or special symbols because the pool of word choices is already
    very high. Not needing those special symbols or numbers (that are not
    intrinsically meaningful) makes the shocking nonsense passphrase that
    much easier to remember.

    64 characters is plenty of 'room' for a nice 'long' shocking nonsense
    passphrase.

    Mike Easter, Dec 10, 2009
  5. marck

    marck Guest

    I have in use now 2 of those 'nonsense' type passphrases. *

    marck, Dec 10, 2009
  6. marck

    marck Guest

    It's too early. I hit the Send instead of Enter. I meant to add, I
    wonder how many people have futzed themselves forgetting those
    uppercase-lower case-numerical-punctuation type passwords/passphrases?
    I read post from them quite frequently begging God - or anyone, for
    info on some nonexisting 'backdoor'. :0)

    Thanks again for answering.

    marck, Dec 10, 2009
  7. Anyone who really needs to secure his data.

    ♥Ari♥, Dec 10, 2009
  8. marck

    flow Guest

    Yes, they are.