Are my speeds acceptable for home Gig LAN?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by K_W, Jul 8, 2013.

  1. K_W

    K_W

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello! Great to be here.

    I have a network I installed in my home and I am trying to figure out if I am getting an acceptable level of performance from it.

    The tree is as follows...

    2wire Res Gateway with 12 mbps ATT&T U-verse
    TP-Link 24 port Gigabit switch
    Cat 5e UTP throughout whole house from basement (~40-45ft max run)
    Samsung NP550 Core i5 Win 8 Laptop SATA ??? w/ Gigabit
    IBM ThinkCentre 8184-43U P4 3.0ht XP sp3 40gb ATA100 w/ Gigabit
    "Frankenstein" desktop P4 2.4 XP sp2 320gb ATA133 10/100
    Plus 2 blurays a smart TV and other network devices

    Running tests from the Samsung Laptop to the IBM, if I run Totusoft LAN Speed Test with 10 x 5 MB packets I get up to 440 mbps but average 202 mbps upload and consistent 320 to 350 mbps down. If I transfer a .iso of Fedora (675 MB) from the old IBM to the Samsung it transfers in 10 seconds with a sustained 72.2MBps (578mbps) BUT from the Samsung to the IBM is only 20 MBps. I seem to be maxing out the IBM's ancient HD's write speed.

    BUT, If I transfer multiple files, like music, I get only around 18MBps average to 28 MBps peak EITHER way

    The Frankenstein desktop of course tops out at 11.3 MBps as it is only 10/100

    Despite maxing out a drive, do these speeds seem acceptable?

    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
    K_W, Jul 8, 2013