    Just curious.

    Thanks

    LEESA (I)

    LEESA, Oct 14, 2009

  2. LEESA

    PeeCee Guest

    Leesa

    There are 'some' motherboards that have wireless built in, but they are on
    the whole expensive 'enthusiasts' boards.
    Likewise you will find spec'd up, ready to go, PC's on the shelf with
    wireless included as part of the deal.

    But in the main it is not mainstream practice for a desktop to include
    wireless as standard.
    For most desktop situations hard wiring the desktop to the switch (or
    router) is prefered.
    Wired is cheaper, faster and more reliable.

    For those situations where it is difficult to hard wire a desktop to the
    switch or router, a wireless adapter can be added to the PC.
    The adapter can be either an internal PCI card, or an external USB dongle.
    These wireless adapters are not overly expensive, and easy to fit.

    If your situation calls for a wireless adapter in your Desktop, then you
    should particularly specify this at time of purchase and not 'assume' it
    will have one.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 14, 2009

  3. LEESA

    chuckcar Guest

    Ignoring for the moment the vagueness of such language, *any* desktop can
    be made able to network wirelessly - with the simple addition of one PCI
    card. However wireless network cards come with two problems - range and
    because they *are* not physically connected to a specific computer the
    possibility of someone *else* outside using your network without you
    knowing or allowing them to.

    google "war driving" to see about the later. The police make arrests so
    often, it no longer even makes the newspapers. And *that's* only from
    downloading illegal content.

    We get a constant stream of posts here about people - sometimes in the
    same room, not able to communicate with another computer by a wireless
    card.

    chuckcar, Oct 14, 2009
  4. LEESA

    Pennywise Guest

    speaking of vagueness, the PCI card would be connect to a specific
    computer, the one they are using. there are encryption settings now
    that will slow someone down long enough they might not mess with it.
    Google war dialing, I used to do that a lot. and I would physically
    connect to someone else's computer without their knowledge (to a
    point: one being they weren't there (watching) :)) - a Unix was
    different, I could get in faster than most other systems, and go
    unnoticed for a very long time.

    What's changed to incite a panic over a simple question.

    Pennywise, Oct 15, 2009
  5. Heh...not an issue :) Ive surfed an AP that was about 250 yards away.
    Make a parabola for yer usb-dong-L and set the "preamble" to "long".
    Good Times.

    and
    MAC addy filter takes care of that if yer concerned.
    Easy Peasy do it inteh router.
    Most peeps dont know wtf their wifi is doing.
    Make a parabola for your transmitter. I did. Its teh funzorz!
    Gave me a few dbs...
    ^_^

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    §ñühw¤£f, Oct 15, 2009
  6. LEESA

    chuckcar Guest

    *With* a parabola antenna you can pick up the sound of the big bang. Your
    point contradicts itself.

    chuckcar, Oct 16, 2009