    are hard drives positioned vertically more prone to breaking down?

    thanks
    psion

    psion, Nov 10, 2004

  2. psion

    Paul - xxx Guest

    psion vaguely muttered something like ...
    No, not in my experience.

    Paul - xxx, Nov 10, 2004

  3. psion

    °Mike° Guest

    No.

    °Mike°, Nov 10, 2004
  4. psion

    Ghostrider Guest

    Position of HD should not matter since the rotation
    speed of the HD will over-ride any effects of earth's
    gravity. That is, the centripetal/centrifugal forces
    on the HD platter, spindle, bearings, etc., would be
    contributing significantly more on the potential life
    of the HD.

    Ghostrider, Nov 10, 2004
  5. psion

    Silly Billy Guest

    I have 2 drives vertical for over a year and they are working 100%.

    Silly Billy, Nov 10, 2004
  6. psion

    Dan Evans Guest

    Placing them upside down isn't a good idea as the bearings on the top aren't
    generally designed to take the weight - at least last time I looked into it
    they weren't.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 11, 2004
  7. psion

    EricP Guest

    A drive, like any precision machine, will "bed in" in the position it
    is first installed in.

    If you run a drive upside down for two years, and then decide to put
    it in the normal position, don't be surprised when it immediately
    becomes unreadable. Putting it back upside down, and it works
    perfectly again.

    If you run a drive in a particular position for a long time, and then
    change its orientation, it should be reformated and started fresh.

    EricP, Nov 11, 2004
  8. In what way?
    It is not a matter of upper and lower class but of being up a while
    and down a while.
    Perhaps I should let you all in on a little secret. No one likes you
    in the future. This time period is looked at as being full of lazy,
    self-centered, civically ignorant sheep. Perhaps you should be less
    concerned about me and more concerned about that.

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 11, 2004
  9. psion

    Aquila Deus Guest

    How am I supposed to know what way?
    How can i think about school when I could be drinking beer!
    You are too cheap to write anything worth reading. Do you feel better when
    you think you're writing something that might be funny?
    I'm worried about the future of music.
    Why are you so lazy?
    You don't sound too sure.

    Aquila Deus, Nov 11, 2004
  10. psion

    Aquila Deus Guest

    How can you be so sure?
    What is desirable?
    I'm such a tightwad, I even have a burglar alarm on my garbage can.
    Why aren't you asking if I am worried about the future of music?
    I am so lazy sometimes, too.
    No excuse.
    I think you should stop drinking.

    Aquila Deus, Nov 11, 2004
  11. How do you know for certain?
    Do you want to think about school when you could be drinking beer?
    I amndt only pretending to Be too cheap to Write anything worth
    reading.
    Why are you asking if you are worried about the future of music?
    Perhaps it looks if I am so lazy. But you donate it really to matter?
    Eat well, drink in moderation, and sleep sound, in these three good
    health abound.

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 11, 2004
  12. psion

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Why not...
    Is that an accusation?
    No, I am not are me. How dare you suggest otherwise.
    Why not...
    I doubt it. Can you prove that?
    How long have you been interested in politics?
    Why should I stop it?

    Aquila Deus, Nov 11, 2004
  13. Why are you so certain?
    Why have you wondered if you were such a tightwad?
    Oh, you are, are you?
    Why are you wondering if you are so lazy sometimes?
    You are intellectually out-classed by a dead sheep.
    The war is a result of faulty politics and desperation from Western
    leadership during the US civil war. Yes, I suppose you could stop it.

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 11, 2004
  14. psion

    Richard Guest

    My own experience is contrary to this. I had a drive running for about two
    years in the "normal" position. When I upgraded this drive I put it in a USB
    2 Caddy which to save space is hooked vertically to the end of my desk. The
    drive works without problem in this position where it has now been for about
    another year and it is in regular use.

    Richard.

    Richard, Nov 11, 2004