    are hard drives placed sideways (vertically) safe?

    thanks

    psion

    psion, Nov 10, 2004

  2. psion

    Ira Levant Guest

    Not necessarily. On occassion they have been known to blastoff
    when placed vertically with the top facing upward. If RPMs get
    too high they can shoot right through the case.

    Ira Levant

    Ira Levant, Nov 10, 2004

  3. psion

    WormWood Guest

    | |
    | > are hard drives placed sideways (vertically) safe?
    | >
    | > thanks
    | >
    | > psion
    |
    | Not necessarily. On occassion they have been known to blastoff
    | when placed vertically with the top facing upward. If RPMs get
    | too high they can shoot right through the case.
    |
    | Ira Levant

    I've had two that were placed horizontally blast off through the case.
    It's called the 'helicopter syndrome.'

    WormWood, Nov 10, 2004
  4. psion

    Barry OGrady Guest

    THERE IS A RISK THAT THEY WILL FALL OVER AND EXPLODE

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Nov 10, 2004
  5. psion

    staple Guest

    are hard drives placed sideways (vertically) safe?
    I once had a vertically positioned hard drive take a dump. Then it crawled
    back into the case, at least it flushed.

    staple, Nov 10, 2004
  6. The correct question is: "Is it safe yet?"

    Dougie

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Nov 10, 2004
  7. psion

    smh Guest

    Check the manufacturer's Web site for the operating "orientation"(?).

    On an old Dell desktop I have, the hard disk is installed vertically,
    connectors on top.

    smh, Nov 10, 2004
  8. psion

    Gary Danaher Guest

    LONG ago-20 years, it mattered that they were generally horizontal. Not
    any longer. Fit it to the case and forget about it.

    Gary Danaher, Nov 11, 2004