    For more info please see
    http://www.negativland.com/squant/index.html

    Corry

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Ross Allan Guest

    *sigh*

    Ross Allan, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Nice try :)

    But the new Nikon chip detects R, G, B and emerald. The emerald being
    in between green and blue. It might be cyan, but it might also be
    something narrower.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 21, 2003

  4. Yes, yes, I know. I failed to perform research to determine if the
    TOTALLY DIGITAL D666 was squant-enabled. It isn't. It does, however,
    detect N-Rays when dark.

    Sorry for the oversight.

    Corry

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 21, 2003
  5. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mxsmanic Guest

    There's no such primary as "emerald." You're falling prey to marketing
    hype.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 21, 2003
  6. Andrew Hardisty, Jul 21, 2003
  7. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Looks like they are adding cyan pixels. That's hardly new technology.
    Some video cameras have been using the subtractive primaries since
    forever, practically. It provides better luminance resolution and can
    improve color detail resolution, but it reduces color fidelity.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 21, 2003
  8. Yepp - it ws Sony - not Nikon. Nikon's sensor was this
    CMOS lookalike (LBCAST) thingie.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03071802nikonsensor.asp

    BTW - the Maniac ought to understand that Emerald is
    just a name. He also ought to understand that all sensors
    in a sensor array do not need to be prime colors. Moreover,
    the emerald thingie might be cyan, which is a complementary
    prime color.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 21, 2003
  9. The problem with digital cameras is that they put the squants between
    upbeat songs and dead dogs. The squant properly belongs between the letter
    U and the numeral 2. You just can't have squants next to Snuffles. And
    digital imagery farces that on you.

    You still can get rich, vibrant sqants with Velvita. You probably are
    setting the film speed to 40, instead of 50. That little kick of
    underexposure locks you right into to squants.

    Hope this is of some help.

    Phil Stripling, Jul 21, 2003
  10. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Less filling and tastes great, too!

    Mxsmanic, Jul 21, 2003
  11. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Browntimdc Guest

    Sounds similar to Fuji Reala film fourth layer.

    Browntimdc, Jul 21, 2003
  12. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Reala 1000G has a fifth dimension.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 21, 2003
  13. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Mark B. Guest

    cheesy film?

    Mark B., Jul 22, 2003
  14. Unclaimed Mysteries

    daytripper Guest

    lmao!

    daytripper, Jul 22, 2003
  15. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Frank ess Guest

    | On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:35:11 -0400, "Mark B."
    <>

    Nikon's new
    | >> chip is capable of detecting squant, but it is not used in their
    | >> system. Such a shame, throwing away an entire primary color just
    for the
    | >> sake of backward co-compatibility. With film I used to get such
    rich,
    | >> vibrant squants using Fuji Velvita.
    | >
    | >cheesy film?
    |
    | lmao!

    Ekshly, a film-like, celluloid-like photography product.

    Frank ess, Jul 22, 2003
  16. Unclaimed Mysteries

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:32:40
    Better than falling prey to troll. ;-)

    John Navas, Jul 22, 2003
  17. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Prime Guest

    After doing some infrared, I became interested in squant photography with
    the standard prosumer cameras. I found a classified source (a friend who
    works with the DOD) who provided me with some celluloid squant filter
    material. I fashioned an adaptor to my Oly C-3000, and did a test by
    using the remote control for my television. It's true! Not only does the
    remote give out squant in significant amounts, my Oly has some
    sensitivity to squant. I then did some photography using a tripod and
    some long exposures - I needed about 6 EV more exposure than normal with
    the filter attached. The resulting squant photos are quite interesting.
    One of the challenges in allowing this to be released to the public is
    that most normal textiles are transparent to squant. My trip to the beach
    proved that!

    I suspect that clothing manufacturers will have to work on squant-opaque
    coatings for most normal fabrics. In the meantime... well, let's just say
    that I'm going to be vacationing in the tropics over the next few
    weeks...

    Prime

    Prime, Jul 22, 2003