    should upgrade, what would you suggest?

    Thanks,
    John

    John Heitmuller, Mar 20, 2008

  2. John Heitmuller

    Trendkill Guest

    For CCNA, those should be mostly fine. CCNA is primarily very basic
    routing/switching, and as long as your IOS images support the basics,
    I don't see you needing to fork out a bunch of money. Although I will
    say the 1900 is really old, and you will most likely want an IOS based
    switch presuming your 2900 is cat. That would be the only thing that
    I would consider doing.

    Trendkill, Mar 20, 2008

  3. John Heitmuller

    News Reader Guest

    There are significant differences between the 1900 and 2950 IOS
    commands. CCNA exam guides from a couple years ago covered both, but
    emphasized the 2950 as the new standard to which you should prepare.

    Best regards,
    News Reader

    News Reader, Mar 20, 2008
  4. I really appreciate the feedback. I just bought two 2950s off of
    eBay.

    Thanks,
    John

    John Heitmuller, Mar 21, 2008
  5. John Heitmuller

    gmforbk2 Guest

    it depends which "version" of the 2900 you have. Apparently, cisco
    made a low level one that would not evne do Vlans or trunking.
    However, the newer version(which has 4m flash and 8m ram i think), wil
    support vlans, trunking, ISL, and 802.1q. I guess the main thing you
    get wiht the 2950's is that you dont have any guesswork as to which
    version you are getting.

    Also regarding the 2500's they should be fine. When I first started
    studying for my CCNA, I got 3 2501's off ebay. They helped a lot. I
    also picked up a 1721 to use as my home internet router.

    gmforbk2, Mar 22, 2008