    My son will be visiting Tokyo and Hong Kong next month. Does anyone
    know if the Canon EF USM 70-200mm F2.8 L IS Zoom Lens can be purchased
    cheaper in those cities? Would you advice buying non-US market lens?

    Jack, Nov 30, 2004

  2. The _used_ price for that lens here is US$1,760 (according to the back pages
    of the latest camera rag.)

    Prices in Japan and the US are usually quite close, with Japan usually being
    a bit higher. The only exception is new Mamiya medium format equipment,
    which is usually cheaper in Japan than the US.

    I don't know about Hong Kong.

    Call your local Canon sales rep. and ask them if they honor international
    warrantees on equipment purchased abroad from Canon authorized dealers.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Jack

    Mark² Guest

    Be EXTREMELY cautious/suspicious when shopping in Hong Kong. The main drag
    of shops there is FULL of ruthless scam artists who will gladly cheat you
    out of whatever you've got.

    Don't expct to find this lens for less than what you can pay here.

    Mark², Nov 30, 2004
  4. Jack

    ABC Guest

    Cameras in HK are cheaper as it has no import tax. Even Japanese
    tourists buy in HK.

    Do not buy from Tsim Sha Tsui or Nathan road or Mongkok as there are a
    lot of cheats out there. The famous chain stores are Broadway and
    Fortress. For lens, go to the shops at Stanley Street at Central.
    Reputable old shops there only.

    ABC
    Do not reply by email.

    ABC, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Jack

    Ryadia Guest

    You know the one about a fool and his money?
    Canon have for the most part, killed off the "cheaper in Hong Kong"
    variations in price. I recently went to one of HKs most prolific Canon
    marketeers for the exact same lens. I am in Australia and the only tax is
    GST of 10% but it can't be avoided, even when importing goods. The only way
    the lens was going to be cheaper was if I defrauded the tax office by
    declaring it a gift. No local warranty either!

    Ryadia, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Thanks for all the info. Seems like there is no bargin anymore.
    Since the lens is advertized for $1,698 with a $50 rebate brand new,
    maybe I shold just bit the dust and get it at home. Especially when
    David Littleboy quotes a US$1760 in Japan, used, no less.

    Jack, Nov 30, 2004