    Does all the extra storage space in a box the same size as the 40GB
    make the bigger drive more likely to fail? Or did I just get ahold of
    a lemon?

    PowerPost2000, Jun 4, 2005

  2. PowerPost2000

    philo Guest

    well, when drives were still 80 gigs or less...
    i never had any problems...
    but since the drives have been getting larger...
    i've had a *lot* of problems...with all different brands.

    don;t know why though

    philo, Jun 4, 2005

  3. PowerPost2000

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Size, of hd, makes no difference to failure rate
    Try the WD site and download their checking utility.
    If adding multiple hd's to an existing sys, failure can result owing to bad
    cooling/ventilation

    MrGrumpy, Jun 4, 2005
  4. PowerPost2000

    Ron Martell Guest

    The decline in prices and the reduction in warranty period probably
    have more to do with the failure rate than the actual size of the
    drive.

    Lower prices means less profit per drive, and the manufacturers are
    reducing production costs everywhere they can, including the quality
    of the materials used in the manufacturing, so as to remain
    competitive and still make a profit.

    Western Digitial does make a higher priced series of IDE drives which
    have a 3 year warranty rather than 1 year, and these are what I use in
    all the systems that I sell, and in my own computers.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Jun 4, 2005
  5. PowerPost2000

    Patrick Guest

    I agree whole heartedly with the warranty check. I stopped buying drives 3
    years ago which had less than a 5yr warranty and haven't a single failure in
    my drives yet *knocks on wood*. Overall, here are some generalizations of
    some hard drives I've seen.

    WD
    - Ball bearing drives have issues, loud, tend to fail, short warranty
    - 74 gig raptors are great for desktop drives, have heard some failure
    problems with the 36gig version though.
    -dropping of the warranty dropped my purchase of their drives and
    recommending them.

    Seagate
    -Tend to cost more
    -5yr warranty, it says something about their drives
    -never buy a condom seagate(any with the rubber casing around part of the
    drive....they are a lemon)
    -Barracuda line has always been pretty solid.

    Fuji
    -Older desktop drives were not the fastest but got the job done
    -Bad sectors were sometimes found in older drives
    - Haven't heard much for complaints other than other branded drives are
    faster

    IBM/Hitachi(or use to be)
    -Deskstar aka DeathStars.....had bad batches of drives which had high
    failure rate.
    -travelstars, best drives for laptops so far.

    Samsung
    -Never been the fastest
    -Quiet & cool running hard drives
    -Lower Power usage
    -Haven't had one fail yet

    Maxtor
    -Larger drives with ball bearings had click of death issues
    -liquid bearing drives have seemed pretty stable for the most part, only
    drawback is speed....they are slow

    Granted these are my personal views, anyone else have any
    differences?.....for a limit you must have used at least 5 drives from a
    particular series for generalizations

    Patrick, Jun 5, 2005