Archiving digital pictures. Experiences?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jacob K., Nov 25, 2004.

  1. Jacob K.

    Jacob K. Guest

    Hi there.

    Can someone recommend me an archiving tool for digital pictures?
    I'm willing to spend maybe up to 100$, if the program lives up to
    these demands:

    - must have a *good* search-functionality. In best case possibility
    for Boolean searches. (I've tried Picasa, which is excellent apart
    from the fact that it makes "AND" searches by default, and this can't
    be changed).

    - must have multiple fields for indexing which can be specified when
    searching. For instance, I want to be able to search for images of
    Person A, but only on Location B.

    - must have an *easy* and quick search-functionality, which must also
    be accessible without a lot of clicking. (I have tried ACDSee, which
    supports multiple search-terms and has an OK indexing system, but
    unfortunately only lets me search for multiple key-words after a
    thousand mouse-clicks).

    - must be able to work within the regular Windows XP -folder
    structure. Meaning that I want the system to respect the folder
    structure that I have made. (Picasa makes new folders when importing
    new images).

    - must be completely (or almost completely) controllable via keyboard
    shortcuts. I hate using mouse.

    I use Windows XP Home, and I organize my pictures (appr. 10.000)
    subdivided into twelve folders (one for each month), and finally these
    twelve folders are divided into four or five folders for each week in
    that particular month. -This way, I can always browse my images by
    date.
    But I need a way to search for the content itself in each picture.

    I realize XP does give the opportunity to add keywords, but
    unfortunately the build-in search tool works extremely slowly.

    I look forward to hear your suggestions! :)

    -Jacob.

    Jacob K., Nov 25, 2004

  2. Jacob K.

    Tony Guest

    The one I ended up buying was Extensis Portfolio, but I tried about 20
    first. Almost all of them are available to download and try. Extensis works
    on keywords - which is the way I like to do things. Others work other ways
    and the best way to find the one for you is try them out.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Nov 25, 2004