    response I can log in right away without "applying settings".

    Is there somthing slowing the preparation of the network on the xp client
    machines with the new 2008 r2 domain controller?

    2010, Nov 1, 2009

  2. Hello 2010,

    Normally not, make sure to use only the domain DNS servers on the NIC. Additional
    post an unedited ipconfig /all from a clinet and the DC/DNS in the site.

    Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS], Nov 2, 2009

  3. This error is usually indicative of using a DNS server IP other than your
    DCs. Such as if the clients have an ISP's DNS address in their IP
    properties, it's guaranteed to cause this error. This includes the DCs. They
    must only use themselves as their DNS address.

    As Meinolf requested, an ipconfig /all of a sample client as well as from
    one of your DCs, will help us evaluate the problem and provide a diagnosis.

    Other things that can cause or contribute to this issue:
    1. If the AD DNS domain name is single label (domain vs domain.local,
    domain.net, etc).
    2. If any of the DCs are multihomed (more than one NIC that are not teamed,
    and/or multiple IPs on one NIC, and/or RRAS is installed).

    --
    Ace

    confers no rights.

    Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
    responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

    Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
    2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
    http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

    Ace Fekay [MCT], Nov 2, 2009