Applications don't close completely

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GrandSchtroumpf, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. Hello everyone,

    I'm having an annoying problem since a while and I'm about to re-install my
    system but before I do that, I'd like to know if anyone has ever had the
    issue I'm having and how he/she solved it.

    Basically, when I terminate an application through the normal way, i.e.
    arrow on top right or File/Exit or anything comparable (not alt+F4), the
    application always stays on in the background. When I go to the task manager
    it's still there and "eating" memory. I can then end it in the "hard" way
    whithout any crash of the system whatsoever.

    I've had this problem for a couple of months and can't remember having done
    anything to change memory settings. I don't touch those options. The bug
    occurs randomly with several applications. The ones I'm having it with on a
    constant basis is World of Warcraft. But then again, I haven't used the
    other apps that often lately.

    Besides that, I have another weird problem : some of my icons are not
    showing anymore, like they are missing. There is always a "system" icon
    showing but the one normally assigned to the app won't show. When I
    "reconnect" the icon to the app (right mouse --> properties --> new icon -->
    apply) sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't. I have this with most of my
    apps, even with IE, Notepad or other Windows stuff. On the next reboot, the
    icons are gone again. It does not happen to all of them.

    I did do full virus and spyware scans and nothing showed up.

    Does anyone have a clue of what is going on ?

    Thanks in advance.
    Pat

    GrandSchtroumpf, Jul 31, 2005

  2. "Arrow on the top right"?

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 31, 2005

  3. GrandSchtroumpf

    gangle Guest

    gangle, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Guys,

    Thanks for your help ! So impressive !
    I give up on this group forever. A shame for those people who actually are
    helping out others. And I didn't mean arrow but cross. I'd like to see you
    guys writing in another foreing language. English isn't my mothertongue.

    GrandSchtroumpf, Jul 31, 2005
  6. GrandSchtroumpf

    Scraggy Guest

    Ach mensch!

    Scraggy, Jul 31, 2005
  7. GrandSchtroumpf

    trout Guest

    You may as well. If you go to pieces because someone makes light of
    a misused word, better to just lock the door and turn out the lights.

    trout, Jul 31, 2005
  8. GrandSchtroumpf

    uh Clem Guest

    With foot jammed firmly in mouth on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:26:51 +0200,
    "GrandSchtroumpf" <> mumbled:

    Tough breaks. Maybe someone should starta ng like this in your
    mothertongue. Maybe someone like YOU?

    uh Clem, Jul 31, 2005
  9. GrandSchtroumpf

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Hey, grumpy Mr. GrandSch...errr...whatever the hell that is...

    Not *everyone* in this NG has even checked in to read your post yet. Don't
    be labeling the entire computer industry based on the inane remarks of a
    few.

    Now that you've offended me, I won't even bother reading your post. Is that
    what you want? Duh...remember: you can catch more flies with honey...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2005
  10. Your English is better than that of many Usenet participants whose first
    language is English, and better than that of most Australians.

    Still, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 31, 2005
  11. GrandSchtroumpf

    Toolman Tim Guest

    So you didn't like his attitude much either, eh? <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2005
  12. Well, he *didn't* get much help off his OP. I brought up the "arrow"
    thing he specifically mentioned in his reply because I thought - since
    he didn't appear to have any problems with English, from reading his
    message - that in a moment of fuzziness had actually *been* clicking the
    arrow, thinking it would close the app.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 31, 2005
  13. GrandSchtroumpf

    Pat Guest

    Windows 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, Xwindows maybe?

    Pat, Jul 31, 2005
  14. GrandSchtroumpf

    Deano Guest

    Well throwing a hissy fit isn't going to help. The sarcasm is coming along
    nicely though.

    Deano, Aug 1, 2005