  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Was in Chapters (bookstore) which has a Starbucks in it. There were about 30 people seated. Most of them were working. Students, business people. Nearly ALL had a laptop, a couple were on phones and only one had a tablet,a Microsoft Surface with a keyboard.

    RichA, Oct 29, 2013

  2. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    You and nospam should form a market research firm as a partnership.
    You both feel that one person's personal observation is a valid claim
    that can be extrapolated.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 29, 2013

  3. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Actually tablets make fine work machines, they're just not "sit at a
    desk" work machines. I've seen them used for inventory and other
    situations where a handheld device makes sense.

    J. Clarke, Oct 29, 2013
  4. RichA

    Martin Brown Guest

    Probably means people in Toronto with taste have more sense than to buy
    over diluted $tarbuck$ American weak coffee. Local chains are better.
    Actually with an ancillary keypad and an origami stand they are not too
    bad as a netbook - less powerful than a full laptop but also lighter.

    And for many inventory or tick box exercises in the workplace they come
    into their own since there is no scrappy mechanical keyboard to get
    germs, oil and rubbish trapped in. One wipe of the screen with a
    suitable cleaner or bactericide and you are good to go again.

    Martin Brown, Oct 29, 2013
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    yep, pick the right tool for the job.

    also, more and more tasks can be done on tablets. it's a rapidly
    growing market and it's not all for playing or consumption.

    Guest, Oct 29, 2013
  6. RichA

    Guest Guest

    one of the many reasons why they are popular in hospitals

    Guest, Oct 29, 2013
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 29, 2013
  8. RichA

    Mayayana Guest

    Was in Chapters (bookstore) which has a Starbucks in it. There were about
    30 people seated. Most of them were working. Students, business people.
    Nearly ALL had a laptop, a couple were on phones and only one had a tablet,
    a Microsoft Surface with a keyboard.
    The lesson for me in that story is the sorry state of
    coffee shops. They used to be places to go for
    socializing, stimulating conversation and people
    watching. I haven't done that for years. There aren't
    any coffee shops like that left. Starbucks also
    epitomizes another thing missing from present-day
    coffee shops: delicious bakery products made on-site.
    Their $3-4 bakery products are, without exception,
    greasy and *very* over-sweetened.

    Mayayana, Oct 29, 2013
  9. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Starbucks coffee weak? To me, it is far too strong and bitter.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 29, 2013
  10. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Yes, I know. You sometimes have to take more than one flight, or view
    both Coach and Business Class, to determine national market share
    figures.

    Arguing with industry figures would be crazy if you took just one
    airplane ride and made your projections.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 29, 2013
  11. Whatever one's take, it's crap. There are hundreds of better choices in
    large metropolitan areas, fewer in suburbia.

    And the better coffee shops in the SF Bay Area have a nice mix of iPads,
    MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros, with the odd PC here and there.

    I'd expect a lot of PCs in any old Starbucks.

    John McWilliams, Oct 30, 2013
  12. Support your local espresso shop, and bakery, if you're lucky enough to
    have them.

    John McWilliams, Oct 30, 2013
  13. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I suppose, if one drank it enough, one could acquire a taste for
    Starbuck's coffee. The only times I've frequented Starbucks is when
    I've been in need of a wi-fi hotspot and a comfy chair to check out
    something online. The ridiculous price and vile taste is the price of
    admission.

    Tony Cooper, Oct 30, 2013
  14. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Many of the The coffee places in NY have latched on to the Starbucks
    pricing model. Even the local breakfast joints have significantly raised
    their coffee prices. At least at Starbucks you get a comfortable place
    to relax. If all I want i Internet, I have a portable WiFi hotspot.
    Having said that, I don't think they have bad coffee. They also serve
    excellent tea and hot chocolate. If I want a plain cup of coffee, I
    think MacDonalds, has pretty good coffee.

    PeterN, Oct 30, 2013
  15. RichA

    Martin Brown Guest

    I don't dispute your observation of its poor taste but it is amongst the
    lowest caffeine content "real" coffee sold on UK high streets.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...-levels-in-your-espresso-scientists-urge.html

    Depending on your point of view this is either good or bad.
    Their cakes are overly sweet and pretty rubbish too.

    Some hapless individual with liver disease managed to get a fatal dose
    of caffeine by consuming a large number of Hero energy mints recently.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-24492833

    A few others have bought unintentional lethal doses on the internet.

    Martin Brown, Oct 31, 2013
  16. RichA

    Mayayana Guest

    | Support your local espresso shop, and bakery, if you're lucky enough to
    | have them.

    I'm not. That's what I was saying. They've gone out
    of business. I'm talking about something that used to
    be very common: A quiet, spacious cafe with good coffee,
    their own muffins, maybe sandwiches and desserts, where
    people would go for the atmosphere. (With or without
    espresso. I don't drink that myself. Nor do I drink the
    half-milk, kiddie-coffee concoctions popularized by
    Starbucks. I'd be happy with just good coffee.)

    I live near Cambridge, Ma, which used to be one
    of the best possible places for both cafes and people
    watching. Now, most coffee shops here are Starbucks or
    Pete's -- two chains populated by 20-30-somethings
    focussed on their laptops; with overpriced, mediocre
    coffee and inedible pastries. Much of the seating in
    those places isn't even chairs. It's barstools, where
    people perch, diddling their Facebook, doing their
    homework, or doing *anything* else other than being
    where they are.

    I've noticed a new trend lately: Single-brew shops
    with very expensive coffee from numerous countries,
    brewed on the spot and tiny, overpriced,
    ever-so-precious pastries. The clientele are the same
    laptop-toting hipsters, [the women often in "yoga
    pants" pantyhose and the men often "rugged dandies"
    with neatly trimmed, 3-days-growth of whiskers] but
    the product has been jazzed up. With Starbucks now
    as pedestrian as Dunkin' Donuts, the single-brew shops
    introduce a new level of manufactured sophistication
    and "consumer choice". And for now, they're only
    frequented by the hipsters who are "discerning" enough
    to recognize the new hip, and who are willing to pay
    $7 for a cup of coffee and a micro-muffin.

    Mayayana, Oct 31, 2013
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    In general, since many coffees are roasted longer to get a bolder flavor
    they will have less caffeine. the lighter roasts have more caffeine.
    However, there are many other factors. it is not an absolute linear rule.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_roasting#Caffeine_content_by_roast_level>

    PeterN, Oct 31, 2013