  1. RichA

    nospam Guest

    of course it's remote. that's why it's called cloud.

    nospam, Jun 5, 2014

  2. RichA

    nospam Guest

    usually but not always. it's possible to connect directly to another
    machine and control it without joining the entire network.
    it's not a relatively new concept at all. it's been done for several
    decades.
    documents can be more than one file, thus the distinction.

    that's important as we move beyond the limitations of the file system.

    and downloading an app is even more of a stretch, whether it's java or
    a full fledged native app.
    remote access means controlling the other computer, not syncing
    documents.
    because that's what it *means*.

    you're the one twisting it into other meanings.
    no.

    nospam, Jun 5, 2014

  3. RichA

    nospam Guest

    he is *not* using remote access to see the files.

    nospam, Jun 5, 2014
  4. RichA

    nospam Guest

    The probem here is understanding what remote access actually means.
    It doesn;t have to be remote either I use remote access virtualy every day.
    I use sreen sharing from my imac to my macmini but it's only ~5ft away from
    my finger tips because I can;t be bothered getting up going to my webcam
    computer, switch the screen on, attaching the keyboard, so I remotely log on
    from 5ft away
    THAT IS REMOTE ACCESS, which is not passive but you actively change whats
    going on on that computer. I can launch games, apps, utilties. I can open up
    documents on the 'remote' macmini even if I don't have the neccessary appl.
    on my local computer, this can not be done with a cloud service. (as far as I
    know)
    if I copy a document from a cloud service (the cloud service is passive) then
    although I'm remotety accessing a disc it IS NOT REMOTE ACCESS, that the two
    words 'REMOTE ACCESS' have come to mean.
    correct.
    But not in the sense of the words remote access.

    Would you say that switching channels on a TV is remote access ?
    Some might see it as such but what of phone-in programs where you vote for
    someone is that also remote access.[/QUOTE]

    by eric's definition, that too would be remote access, particularly
    since tvs these days are computers, complete with usb ports, the
    ability to watch youtube videos and even get firmware updates.

    this was the remote control for google tv:
    <http://cmffmc.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/sony_google_tv_remote.jpg>

    nospam, Jun 5, 2014
  5. RichA

    nospam Guest

    very little.

    it might have been done locally but that's nowhere near as useful as
    cloud sync.

    nospam, Jun 5, 2014
  6. RichA

    nospam Guest

    not physically they weren't but yes, what's old is new again.

    nospam, Jun 5, 2014
  7. RichA

    nospam Guest

    i did.

    nospam, Jun 5, 2014
  8. RichA

    nospam Guest

    yep.

    remote access has a well understood meaning, which is *not* what eric
    is trying to invent by nitpicking each word.

    he's playing word games.

    nospam, Jun 5, 2014
  9. RichA

    nospam Guest

    except that's not what the phrase 'remote access' means.
    that's my point.

    nospam, Jun 5, 2014
  10. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Define remote first.

    I remote controll my TV but I don;t consider my TV to be remote from where I'm sitting. If I gomon holiday and say I'm going to a remote location I do not mean I'm holidaying the other side of my living room by the TV.

    I also have a remote door bell, but if I give you the remote contol it's unlikely you'll be able to remotely contol my bell andunless your in London, in my road and standing with about 100ft or less of the reciever.
    NASA use remote control and remote access to the Mars rovers.

    If teh term downloading is WRONG, you don;t download anything you're HS or SSD doesn't gain wight or material or size all that happens is the data is changed,
    no downloading occurs what's happing is duplication of data values.
    So in relaity you can;t even download a file unless you correct the terms down and load.
    When and why do we use the terms uploading and downloading are we so sure that our computers are higher or lower than the servers we are accessing.
    How about when we use a CD DVD, USB stick, or HD.
    Some peole copy files others duplicate them, while others back them up and others archive them.

    When is a HD remote ?, when it's 6 inches away, 6 feet, in the next room, in the loft or when in another country or city.

    It does if you're theone aplying the name to it.

    But then again many don't know the difernce between theft and piracy.
    also between sharing, lending, stealing and giving.

    Sometimes it's, a cultural thing too.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 6, 2014
  11. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    That's always been what I've understood by remoted access.
    if we're not talking about computers then remote access can mean something else.

    I'm viewing my camera remotely but is that really remote access.
    If I phone a friend half way across the world and I tell him to switch thecomputer on I'm not really remotely accessing the computer or am I ;-)

    Remore doesn't have a set distant otherwise TV remotes wouldn;t work they are line of sight devices.
    The word remote was used 100s of years before computers.
    America was a remote place (from the UK), whethe ror not it's remote now isup to the person decribing it.

    No, not part of the computer at all. An external drive is NOT part of the computer any more than an external monitor or printer are.
    The word peripheral gives that away.

    Yes a computer not a drive, this is the deffernce between passive and active devices. You can't control a hard drive remotley using remote access of any kind, or I've yet to see the option to turn off and turmn on a disc drive remotely, buy using the disc drive itself.
    A friend has remote access to 10 macminis in thialand, he can shut them down and restart them from the UK, you can't do that with the cloud or with a normal hard drive or printer.
    Yes I did that playing reversi on the college mainframe using a Hazeltine 1510 conenct to a PAD line at 1200 baud.

    The speed isn't relivent.
    you were never were that limited it was at least 50 metres.
    After that you used repeaters. In fact USB is far more limited as far as distance is concerned.

    (the
    No, it's about 100 metres for UTP leads cat 5.

    Remore access isn;t part of normal english usage.

    depends on who was using the words remote access and what they were discribing.

    It's a ridiculous day and age.

    30 years ago most people that had a file they held a bit of metal with ridges with a handle on it. When a studetn comes to me and asks me for a file Ihave to work out what they mean.

    But do you have remote access to your TV ?
    can you only operate it from within the same room or very close by ?
    If it'sd a remote control them surely you can control your TV from miles away, or doesn;t you'r euse of the word remote extend beyond 20 metres ?

    If you can;t work out what the word remote means adding access to it and mtrying to make a sentace from it which means the same to everuyone just won;t work.

    your phoning someone in a call centre that in turn tells someone to increment a number which is used as a total for each person. You have NO connection with that person and NO control over them You are NOT remotely controlling the person or remotely accessing that person.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 6, 2014
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Indeed there have been vast improvements. I was simply referring to
    centralized data storage, and/or operation of programs, from one or more
    locations and workstations.
    ATTN: nospam. The above paragraph is to be construed in the generic sense.

    PeterN, Jun 6, 2014
  13. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Before my time but here's my colleges first computer being installed.

    http://vimeo.com/77387308.
    a ICT 1905E
    Here they also talk about sending their program by courior and a "direct access" link to bloombsbury, not remote access.

    They had a thing about portraying women with computers too didn't they.

    even in the 80s wiring was laid under false floors.

    People are unsure it seems.
    Why ?
    It;'s change the nothing other than a change terminology.
    yes the speed of transmition not the distance that's what's relivant.

    Not for most practical purposes. You do nto need a router or internet connection to access yuor external local drive.
    You also don;t have to pay an ISP.

    That's not relivent to the terminology a particaular person uses.
    The world really hasn't got smaller it's got larger it just takes less to to get from point A to point B or less time to comunicate that's all.

    Maybe that's down to the devices themselves we used to run cables of 100ft before we found problems.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232
    The standard does not define a maximum cable length but instead defines themaximum capacitance that a compliant drive circuit must tolerate. A widelyused rule of thumb indicates that cables more than 50 feet (15 m) long will have too much capacitance, unless special cables are used. By using low-capacitance cables, full speed communication can be maintained over larger distances up to about 1,000 feet (300 m).[10]

    Then that's one of the 'few' occassions where he'd be correct. ;-)

    Can you form a few sentance where the term remote access withoiut refering to computers ?
    No,

    But perhaps teh roiamns used it tpo decribe how they'd send their letters from the UK to home but I doubt it.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_access

    No idea when you chose the wrong words.
    The term remote access means something particular to those that use it for what it's mean for. As you've already said yuo can use the term remote access for somethijng that is within hands reach, which defies the definition of remote in the normal sense of teh english language.

    No it's not. Years ago TV came without remotes.
    Not for me it isn't, it's a seperate device, they can be brought seperatly or supplied with the TV you can by universal ones that can control many things.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 9, 2014
  14. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Exactly it's the terminology, the link to bloombsbury a few miles away wasconsidered direct. It;'s the actions you take to get it there.

    So thre was NO remote access to bloombsbury or the USA.
    Remote access didn't exist.

    True and that is the main point as if it were your own, that could be the key phrase.
    The cloud is not a computer you own, you rent space on a hard drive that's all.
    The only control you have is whether or not to delete or create files and folders. You do NOT own the cloud. you rent a section of it.
    I do NOT own the aple servers but I can download files that make availble Ican even upload files as a cloud serviced I do NOT own either.

    It was still true a few years ago there were some telescopes that were creating large volumes of data TB, and those were shipped to by lorry to the processing centre they now have a direct connection. The transfer of data between devices is NOT what is meant by remote access.
    Didn't worry the Romans.

    But not to whether or not it's call remote access.
    You haven't remote access to your daughter, communication IS NOT the same as remote access. You can NOT feed or dress here, you can NOT touch her, youcan NOT give her a physical object, you are very restricted in what you can do.

    No to connect to a local drive.
    Then they aren't remote files then are they.

    Computers also used RS232 for communication and it was 12V not 20V.
    Computers also used to work at 12V for their siganl levels.
    It was when TTL was introduced that dropped 'computer' voltages to 5V and even then some used +/- %V which gave you 10V, which was close enough to 12V to stanbd a chance of working. The there were other standard such as RS423 on the BBC computers. I used to conenct those to pad lines and other devices.

    Not at all, those that invented the term and those that know what the term was meant for use it correctly others mis-use the term, it's quite common especailly in technology, even in photography.
    Depth ofm filed and depth of focus both tell you about what;s in focus but they aren't the same. Some can;t tell the difernce between camera shake andmotion blurr, to photographer there's a disctinct difernce to someone thattakes photos the photo isn;t sharp or is out of focus.

    Yes exacly the term "remote access" has never been part of the standard english langauge.
    http://www.remoteaccess.org/remote-access-services/

    Can you find an earlier use of the word.
    Perhaps the Romans had remote access to most of the world 2000+ years ago.

    You didn't define it that way.

    The term remote access has been dumbed down from what it originally meant by those that don;t understand the term.
    I'ts like talking about the dark side of the moon, or the sun rising and seting, and snakes being poisonous.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 10, 2014
  15. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    of which the majority is user transparent, that's another key point.
    If you send yoyurself an email it van still go half way around the world and be stored opn a server in another contry but few need those details in order to carry out a task.
    Before you get to the firmware you have to have electricity but few of us need to generate our own electicity or need to know how to do it so that's not included in term "remote access" it is assumed you can aquire electricity.

    I know what it means to me and what it meant to those that 'coined' the phrase.
    I don;t care if others get it worng or misuse it, I only care if they use it wrongly and tell others they are correct.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 11, 2014
  16. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    That's not remote access though, in the way the term was meant to be used.

    Which is why you change the terminology.

    But you don't have contol over it.
    I do not have remote access to my local minicab firn but I do phone them and get them to send me a cab, that is NOT remote access.

    Would you say I have renmnote access to pizza hut too ?

    I DO NOT call that remote access.

    See

    Whisky-dave, Jun 16, 2014
  17. RichA

    NotMe Guest

    Adobe's 'Creative Cloud' Goes Offline-and Takes a Million Designers With It
    The design world is utterly dependent on a single software cloud. What
    happens when it suddenly goes down?
    Imagine you're working in an office building and the lights on every floor
    suddenly go out and stay out. Hours pass, then an entire day, and the office
    is still dark. When the power company bothers to acknowledge that there's a
    problem, they don't say when the juice might come back. So they wait
    frantically in the gloom.

    That despair is not unlike what over a million designers, graphic artists,
    and developers who rely daily on Adobe's Creative Cloud Suite felt on
    Wednesday and Thursday as the service went down for over 24 hours.

    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/15/adobe-s-creative-cloud-goes-offline-and-takes-a-million-designers-with-it.html

    NotMe, Jun 17, 2014
  18. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Reading that article, it appears that the problem was not that CS quit
    working, it was that web-based services provided by Adobe to publish to
    particular targets went down. If you had CS6 thos services would still
    have been down.

    J. Clarke, Jun 17, 2014
  19. RichA

    nospam Guest

    which won't matter if someone doesn't use those particular services,
    which not everyone does.

    nospam, Jun 17, 2014
  20. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    True remote access is MORE than just storing files.
    Your computer MUST 'control' the remote computer so it actually becomes a full

    Whisky-dave, Jun 17, 2014