    you understand wrong.

    it's a central repository for documents (not files although it can be)
    which are kept in sync across multiple devices.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2014

  2. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it means that remote access is something else.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2014

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    someone might be able to set up the hardware to be a server, but that
    would be it.

    they won't get document syncing working (even major companies with lots
    of money don't get it right all the time) and apps would never know
    about it anyway.

    it would be nothing more than a remote disk drive which is very
    different than what the cloud offers.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2014
  4. RichA

    Guest Guest

    When you start talking *Remote Desktop* this is what Mac users
    understand, but most importantly this is not the same as iCloud or any
    of the other cloud services such as Dropbox or Box.
    < http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/ >[/QUOTE]

    windows also calls it remote desktop or remote desktop connection:
    <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/remote-de
    sktop-connection>
    Ever wished you could access your PC from the road? With Remote
    Desktop in Windows 7, you can.

    generically, it's called remote access and means accessing another
    computer remotely

    as you say, it's not the same as cloud storage for documents and
    syncing among devices.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2014
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    everyone is. google already has.
    it was, even if you're skeptical.

    Guest, Jun 5, 2014
  6. RichA

    Guest Guest

    the term remote access means something specific which isn't cloud
    document storage despite that it is technically remotely accessed.

    Guest, Jun 5, 2014
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    there's no quibbling at all. two different things with two different
    names. simple as that.
    cloud storage doesn't. it's basically storage.

    a cloud service provider might, such icloud offering back to my mac
    which lets a mac user remotely access their mac at home. however,
    that's not the main feature of icloud.
    depending on the app, users may not even know where the actual
    documents are, nor do they need to know either.
    it may be remotely accessing documents but it is not 'remote access'
    the term.

    Guest, Jun 5, 2014
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jun 5, 2014
  9. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's up to each person what they want to do.
    you're just playing word games. again, 'remote access' has a specific
    meaning.

    any time you search on google, you're remotely accessing another
    computer. do you call that remote access too?

    any time you use email, you're remotely accessing another computer too.
    do you call that remote access? and not only that, but you're using
    cloud based storage for the mail.

    Guest, Jun 5, 2014
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    something else than cloud storage.

    Guest, Jun 5, 2014
  11. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    The probem here is understanding what remote access actually means.
    It doesn;t have to be remote either I use remote access virtualy every day.
    I use sreen sharing from my imac to my macmini but it's only ~5ft away frommy finger tips because I can;t be bothered getting up going to my webcam computer, switch the screen on, attaching the keyboard, so I remotely log onfrom 5ft away
    THAT IS REMOTE ACCESS, which is not passive but you actively change whats going on on that computer. I can launch games, apps, utilties. I can open updocuments on the 'remote' macmini even if I don't have the neccessary appl.. on my local computer, this can not be done with a cloud service. (as far as I know)
    if I copy a document from a cloud service (the cloud service is passive) then although I'm remotety accessing a disc it IS NOT REMOTE ACCESS, that thetwo words 'REMOTE ACCESS' have come to mean.

    But not in the sense of the words remote access.

    Would you say that switching channels on a TV is remote access ?
    Some might see it as such but what of phone-in programs where you vote for someone is that also remote access.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 5, 2014
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    So you are saying that before the cloud, there was no document synching?

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2014
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Why does this remind me of the old dumb terminals. They were lightweight
    too.

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2014
  14. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Then why didn't you clerly say that: UP FRONT.

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2014
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Oh! The term is technically correct, even though it has a different
    meaning to some. And you are the one who regularly accuses others of
    playing with words.

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2014
  16. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Word games.

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2014
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    But you are using remote access to the files. Someone hee is creating a
    distinction without a difference.

    PeterN, Jun 5, 2014
  18. RichA

    Guest Guest

    accessing files.

    what do you call the process when you mount a shared hard drive on your
    desktop and access a file? is that remote access too?

    you might not even know a shared hard drive was accessed by the
    computer. then what?

    Guest, Jun 5, 2014
  19. RichA

    Guest Guest

    that's why it's called cloud.
    they choose a document from list, or in some cases, the computer
    figures out which documents to access for the user.

    where the contents of that document actually reside makes very little
    difference except to software developers who write the apps and need to
    know the internal details.

    what matters to users is can you view and edit photos, text documents,
    spreadsheets, etc.
    i didn't choose the definition and it's *you* who needs to expand your
    thinking.

    Guest, Jun 5, 2014
  20. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i'm not evading anything.

    if someone needs to remotely access a computer, they'll do that. it's
    entirely up to the user what they need to do and how to do it.

    however, that's something *other* than cloud storage.
    a specific one. remote access means controlling another computer. end
    of story.

    you're trying to redefine it into something it isn't.
    technically yes, but that's not what people think of what happens when
    they search via google.
    like i said, word games.

    the phrase remote access has a specific meaning. you're trying to
    redefine it.
    pretty much, although syncing across multiple devices wasn't a priority
    back then. it was mostly one device at a time.

    Guest, Jun 5, 2014