Apple's foray into the "service/rental economy"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 3, 2014.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jun 3, 2014

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jun 3, 2014

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    You could set it up as a server. But, by the time you either pay for a
    remote access program, ro a static IP address, my uneducated guess is
    there will probably not be a significant cost difference. (I have not
    priced it out.)

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  4. RichA

    Guest Guest

    there's a lot more to it than simply setting up a server with a remote
    access program and a static ip address isn't needed anyway.

    Guest, Jun 3, 2014
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Between using the cloud for remote access, and setting up a server for
    remote access.

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  6. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    So. I said what could be done, not how. When talking about washing your
    socks, assuming you do, nobody cares how, just whether.

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    what you said could be done is not a replacement for what's being
    discussed and worse, you don't even know the difference.

    Guest, Jun 3, 2014
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    who said anything about remote access?

    the cloud is mainly for a central repository for documents that are
    kept in sync across multiple devices.

    remote access is rarely, if ever part of it.

    Guest, Jun 3, 2014
  9. RichA

    Mayayana Guest

    | > Cost difference to what?

    | Between using the cloud for remote access, and setting up a server for
    | remote access.

    I wonder why so many people think they need so much
    remote access. Suddenly people have to have all of their
    files everywhere, as though they're going to edit images
    on their phone while riding a bus to work.

    I also wonder why there's no such thing as a micro-USB
    memory stick that can plug into phones and tablets, with
    an adaptor for PCs. It would be a lot easier to put those
    "must-have" files on a stick than to store them on a
    server -- either local or commercial.

    Mayayana, Jun 3, 2014
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    not just images, but just about anything, and not just on the bus, but
    just about anywhere.
    no it won't, because those must-have documents are constantly changing,
    which means it would be a *lot* of work to keep them all in sync on all
    devices, and that's assuming you remember to copy the needed files to
    the stick and bring it with you everywhere you go.

    cloud solves all of that.

    Guest, Jun 3, 2014
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    OK you twisted enough for me. EOD

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    That's why I haven't done a cost analysis. Dropbox, and Smug are working
    fine for me. BTW I do no processing on my iPhone. I use my laptop to
    give me something to do away from home.

    PeterN, Jun 3, 2014
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Here is the paragraph t which I responded. Somebody changed the
    attribution.

    "> However those 2 & 3 TB drives, which are suitable for on site backup and

    PeterN, Jun 4, 2014
  14. RichA

    Guest Guest

    he's talking about cloud storage for documents and/or syncing those
    documents among multiple devices.

    you might consider that to be remote access, but it isn't.

    remote access is a specific term that means remotely controlling
    another machine. it does not mean remotely accessing a document,
    particularly one in the cloud available to multiple devices.

    remote access is usually a separate feature, either configured on the
    other computer (not the cloud) or with remote access services such as
    logmein, gotomypc, etc.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2014
  15. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Are you using all Mac stuff? Because I can transfer any file between windows computers, at least. Smart phones? No, you'd need cloud for that, or the ability to get online to your own network, with some kind of service provided by your ISP. A friend has that, I don't.

    RichA, Jun 4, 2014
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    except this isn't about accessing your computer *at all*.

    the documents are in the cloud so that multiple devices can access
    them, whether it's a computer at home or one in your pocket while
    thousands of miles from home.

    the computer at home can be off for all that matters.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2014
  17. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's not just macs. remote access means remotely accessing a computer,
    whether it's mac, windows, linux or whatever else. it's definitely
    useful for a lot of things.

    putting stuff in the cloud is not remote access.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2014
  18. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, Jun 4, 2014
  19. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/4/2014 12:02 AM, Savageduck wrote:

    In the context of setting up a server for file sharing from remote
    locations, as an alternative to using the cloud for that purpose.

    PeterN, Jun 4, 2014
  20. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's not remote access. it's cloud storage.

    they are two very different things although may be offered by the same
    service.
    it's not just mac.

    it's for *any* system, whether it's mac, windows, linux, ios, android,
    windows phone or something else.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2014