    A red hot icepick worked on the 3-1/2. Stack a bunch together and run the
    pick through them all. Granted the smell wasn't great.

    Top

    Ed, Mar 9, 2006

  2. Joe

    Ed Guest

    Some people may remember there was NO dBase I. When the program was
    released they named it dBase II hoping people think it was the "new and
    improved" version. If I dig far enough I'd probably find versions II, III
    and IV buried right beside Wordstar. Geez I'm having flashbacks of the
    ..dot commands in Wordstar!

    Yeah I knew you understood what I said and thought I'd take the wiggle
    factor out. <vbg>.

    Top

    Ed, Mar 9, 2006

  3. Joe

    Ed Guest

    See my post to Blinky about dBase I. I think you guys are just trying to
    make me feel old now.

    I was aware there was a WIN 1.0 but don't recall much about it. WIN 2.0
    was the first that I loaded. It was little more than a menu system that
    confused most people. I made some menus for work that ran batch files.
    They seemed to be what was needed at the time. PCs were just beginning to
    make the rounds in the Army. Most people were afraid they'd blow them up.
    When I retired it was hard to get to the keyboard for all the people that
    wanted to play golf. I understand that has changed now. Now they play
    Texas Hold'em

    Top

    Ed, Mar 9, 2006
  4. Joe

    Ed Guest

    My first 'puter was a TI 99A (4A?). Had a whopping 16 K ram. No disk
    drive initialy. I thought I was high speed when I got the cables to use a
    cassette drive. Later I added a 5-1/4 floppy. The old sinlge density I
    mentioned before. Went from that to the NEC and a Tandy 1000A.

    Top

    Ed, Mar 9, 2006
  5. Joe

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Here is a blast from the past for you Tim
    http://internet.ls-la.net/ms-evolution/windows-1.01/

    Oldus Fartus, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Joe

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    I agree. IMO it wasn't until Windows 3 that it even looked half decent.

    Oldus Fartus, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Joe

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    I still can't find your £2,200 Apple II, but have found a £4.99 one,
    which with a day or so to go still has not attracted any bids.

    You wouldn't be telling lies now would you?

    Oldus Fartus, Mar 9, 2006
  8. Something inside wondered if that was a trick question, but it didn't
    speak loud enough for me to question it. :)
    :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Sinclair. 2kb RAM, storage on audio cassette.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 9, 2006
  10. Joe

    Mitch Guest

    Nah -- I've only had to buy the powe supply, but I had many to choose
    from, got a great price, and there was no question of platform.
    I assume the fans are the same issue -- but I've never had to check.
    One potentail issue, because I haven't had to look at these things -- I
    don't know if Apple uses the most common power connectors. Actually, I
    don't know how many are really common on the PC end, either. But there
    is not a proprietary one.
    From the perspective of using a quality supplier, it might be. I have
    heard mostly very strong comments about the quality put into Apple's
    products, and I've definitely heard more good stuff about Apple's own
    QC and QA.
    Fortunately for consumers, that kind of thing can improve for just
    about any company that tries -- it isn't usually about technology
    plans, but about management and effort.

    Mitch, Mar 9, 2006
  11. Joe

    Mitch Guest

    And that's another good argument against Macs; if you are in a position
    where incremental upgrades make some sense, you can't do it with Mac
    for quite as long, only because of the lack of an inexpensive
    motherboard replacement.

    Mitch, Mar 9, 2006
  12. Joe

    Mitch Guest

    At a local university around 1995-1996, I set up one for a friend in a
    dorm who wanted e-mail in a common area. it didn't even have a hard
    drive; we had to connect an external 20 MB drive for it to start from.
    They did have Ethernet, so it plugged right into the network.

    A couple others were set up to manage some printers (mostly for
    registration printouts and schedules for advisory services).
    20 later model (maybe from about 1987) were stations at a language lab,
    just because the department liked a specific program on them.
    And eight or so were running at the school paper for typing in stories.

    Of course, none of these really suggest that the computer was a good
    choice for general use, but that the hardware itself remained useful
    well beyond common experience.

    Mitch, Mar 9, 2006
  13. The only time they don't make sense is when it's somebodys else's money
    and you haven't been doing incremental upgrades in a reasonably timely
    fashion (i.e., when *everything* needs replacement by now, and it's not
    your dime).
    MacHead: What's a motherboard?

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 9, 2006
  14. Joe

    Spuds Guest

    I remember typing in all the TI99/4A programs from the old "Compute" magazine
    for hours. Then I generally had to wait a month for the next issue to post
    all the bugs and missing lines. In the meantime, I honed my skills on
    "Parsec.", which set me back $70 for the cartridge.

    Spuds, Mar 9, 2006
  15. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Spuds spewed forth:
    Oh yeah - same here. For me it was the TRS-80 Model 1, then III, and finally
    the CoCo (Rainbow Magazine) in BASIC code - some of it pretty insane. And
    debugging my lousy typing took forever sometimes <g>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 9, 2006
  16. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Mitch spewed forth:
    Exactly - I do the same with old PCs. Print servers - hey, why buy one when
    there's an old PC around <g>!

    Toolman Tim, Mar 9, 2006
  17. Joe

    Top Guest

    I remember typing in the programs from the different magazines of the
    day. Was fun tweaking them to make them do strange things. A friend had a
    C64 and we always compared our tweaking. He had all those peeks and pokes
    though.

    I almost ordered an Adam, made by Coleco I think. I don't think there
    were many of those produced. I can remember seeing one.

    I was in Okinawa at the time some we didn't have some of the resources
    available in the US. A group of us that had NECs formed a user group.
    We'd meet on weekends and compare software and discuss using different
    programs. We actually went over database, wordprocessing and even
    spreadsheets. Of course a game or two slipped in.

    Top

    Top, Mar 9, 2006
  18. X-No-Archive: YES
    Top [] has entered into testimony
    [email protected]
    There were a number of those for the TRS80 Model III running in Model IV
    mode too... my favorite one (or it might have been two) turned off the
    "break" key although I recall the "CMD" BASIC keyword had a parameter
    for this. There was another poke for changing the cursor and of course
    you could always poke small assemler subroutines into memory and execute
    them.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Mar 9, 2006
  19. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Chadwick Stone© spewed forth:
    Yup - lots of peeks/pokes. You could also place specific graphics characters
    directly into screen memory. So by building an array with a read statement,
    locating the array's specific location in memory (using the peek commands),
    then executing a small piece of assembler code (poked into place), you could
    get much faster graphics display than letting BASIC draw the screen a line
    at a time. The other assembler routine I would poke into memory and used
    frequently was a Shell sort. MUCH faster than letting the BASIC interpreter
    have a go at it.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 9, 2006
  20. Joe

    Mitch Guest

    The only time they don't make sense is when it's somebodys else's money
    and you haven't been doing incremental upgrades in a reasonably timely
    fashion (i.e., when *everything* needs replacement by now, and it's not
    your dime).[/QUOTE]

    You've narrowed your own perspective, there.
    I'll give some examples:
    Buyers often don't just need a better-performing computer, but an
    ADDITIONAL computer. An option for an incremental upgrade is
    irrelevant, because much more is needed.
    Buyers sometimes replace a computer which has a problem. For many,
    troubleshooting which part is damaged, let alone actually making the
    switch, is not worth their time, or they are just not interested.
    Computer makers work hard to make new computers attractive to buy --
    and it works. Many people think it's ridiculous to buy a used car, or
    repair a car with a significant problem, rather than buy a new one. You
    can argue about the sense of that, but you can't argue with the fact
    that it happens very often.
    Many machines used technologies which simply didn't pan out the way
    they might have when the computer was new. Upgrades become uncommon or
    expensive, or the technology was actually passed by some other kind.
    Sometimes that matters, and it's necessary to avoid that dead end in
    the next computer.
    Wells, that's just trying to be nasty.
    Do you think you perceive that I don't know what a motherboard is?

    Mitch, Mar 10, 2006