    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com
    Usenet's most helpful netizen
    Hammer of Thor, March 2005

    Chadwick Stone©, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Joe

    Spuds Guest

    You can still download VisiCalc. Amazing bit of programming, considering it's
    27,520 /bytes/ in size.

    Spuds, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Joe

    nubian Guest

    <snip>

    Oh my, Maggotlotta has shoved it's head so far up it's own arse again
    that it's taken a fancy to an odd-shaped peice of shite, drew a happy
    face on it, and moved in to make the peice of shite's life miserable.
    Well mabey if the maggot has found a place to stay, there will be no
    more tales of Maggotlotta and the Grotty Hostels. Oh well.

    nubian, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Chadwick Stone© spewed forth:
    LOL! Ain't THAT the truth!

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006
  5. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Spuds spewed forth:

    Yup - I used to run that on an old Kaypro, along with Wordstar, although I
    didn't use it nearly as much.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006
  6. I didn't say "Apple". I said "Mac".
    My second computer was an Apple IIe.
    I thought Mac came out in 1984.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2006
  7. Thanks. I *thought* it was 1984, making the "early 1980s" pre-Mac, as I
    asserted.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2006
  8. Joe

    Box134 Guest

    So computers are for collecting in your world, you fat-assed goofball. I
    collect the useless horse manure you post. Is your dad back on the bottle?
    Has he thrown you out of the house lately? Oh well, what else is an almost
    thirty unemployable loon to do?

    Box134, Mar 8, 2006
  9. Joe

    Top Guest

    In news:,
    I remember Visicalc, at first I thought it was flash backs from bad
    drugs but it was Visicalc. There was another from NEC that wasn't much
    better. I remember all different disk formats during those days. A
    friend had a program that could transfer from one disk format to
    another. There must have been 75 to 80 formats it would recognize. That
    is if the programs were for a Z80. The first floppies I bought were
    single sided and single density. I bought 3 and paid $18 and change. I
    think they held maybe 70 kb.

    Top

    Top, Mar 8, 2006
  10. Joe

    Ed Guest

    Here's one for you TT - Remember dBase II? Bet you don't remember
    dBase I.

    Top

    Ed, Mar 8, 2006
  11. I'm not Tim, but: Sure! dBase - The Movie

    :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2006
  12. Joe

    Ed Guest

    Smart aleck! Then let it put it this way - Do you remember the database
    program dBase I?

    Top

    Ed, Mar 8, 2006
  13. I knew what you meant -- you said it quite clearly. It just reminded me
    of the Star Trek movies. :)

    No, they were at IV when I got involved with databases. I had some
    Ashton-Tate stock; I made a few dollars on it. That wss before
    Borland bought them in 1991.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 9, 2006
  14. Joe

    Spuds Guest

    I still may have my trusty punch here somewhere. It was used to put another
    write protect notch in 5 1/4" floppies, so I could flip them over and use the
    other side in the single-sided Apple drive. They held a massive 143k per
    side.

    Spuds, Mar 9, 2006
  15. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Ed spewed forth:
    Nope. I didn't do dBase until III. And I hated it <g>

    How about Windows 1.0? I had a copy of that - it ran on an old Zenith PC I
    had with an 8088 CPU. I *really* wish I'd kept that one :)

    Toolman Tim, Mar 9, 2006
  16. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Spuds spewed forth:
    Yeah - scary now when you look at the cost of blank DVDR media! And back
    then money was MUCH harder to come by...
    Heh! I have two of those - one for the old 5-1/4 discs, and one for 3-1/2
    too. Way cool!

    Toolman Tim, Mar 9, 2006
  17. X-No-Archive: YES
    Toolman Tim [] has entered into testimony
    kpKPf.1479$
    MSDOS 3.xx, Windows 2.11, dBase II, Enable, and Zenith Diagnosics for
    the 80286 6mhz.

    My first (personal) system was a Laser Turbo XT from Sears. i8088
    running switchable between 4.77 & 10MHz. Had a whopping 512KB RAM,
    256KB EGA graphics card w/TV output, and dual 5.25 half-height floppy
    drives.

    First system ever used on a regular basis was the TRS-80 Model III (z80
    2MHz/64KB RAM) running Network IV w/a 10MB hard drive shared out in
    100KB partitions. Even though I didn't own one, I bought the ALTC
    assembly language tutor on cassette just to be able to write code that
    didn't take 30 seconds to fill up the screen. We upgraded to IBM PCs
    (8086/128 or 256 KB RAM) with CGA graphics and lost the network.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208

    Chadwick Stone©, Mar 9, 2006
  18. Joe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Mar 9, 2006
  19. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Chadwick Stone© spewed forth:
    I'd totally forgotten about Enable. WP, DP, SS; one of the first
    comprehensive office suites.
    Don't I wish <g>! My first PC compatible was a luggable Compaq 4.77MHz only.
    Still have it. It had only 64KB RAM so I bought an add-in card to bring it
    all the way up to 640. CGA or monochrome graphics (dual system!), accoustic
    coupler, 2 floppy drives, one of which I replaced with a 20MB Seagate ST225
    hard drive.
    Our Modell III hard drive was only 5MB. But what a HUGE monster that was!
    Not the data space - the physical size.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 9, 2006
  20. Joe

    Spuds Guest

    Tried melting holes in 3 1/2 floppies to make high densities, but I had too
    high a failure rate. That was back when Radio Shack up here were charging an
    unbelievable $90 for a box of ten 1.44's

    I still have a few IBM ED (extra density) 3 1/2". They were marked as 4 MB
    unformatted, but never caught on. The only machines the drives were found on
    were genuine IBMs.

    Spuds, Mar 9, 2006