    all desktops (a mini is a desktop machine, but it's very portable as it's
    only 6.5" square and 2" deep).

    Never base a system choice on price alone.

    Margolotta, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Margolotta spewed forth:

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Ed spewed forth:
    I never tried that. I had a little punch that I got somewhere for about $10.
    This one screwed down like a press - the working end was hollow like a
    punch. It saved me hundreds <g>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Ed spewed forth:
    I have a good friend who cut his teeth on a TI 99A. He's now IT manager of a
    chain of local banks.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006
  5. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Ed spewed forth:
    LOL! I'm no good at poker so it's a good thing I quit game playing years
    ago.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006
  6. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006
  7.
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2006
  8. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006
  9. Joe

    Box134 Guest

    They are more expensive because Mac users have been sold on having a
    "superior" system so naturally you expect to pay more for far less choice.
    Enjoy, enjoy.

    Just read the Mac user groups to see how superior they are.

    Box134, Mar 8, 2006
  10. Joe

    Box134 Guest

    I've got a Commodore 64 that works perfectly. So what? What can you do with
    a Commodore 64 today or a Mac Plus?

    Many Mac users have 15-year-old systems because they're too poor and too
    dumb to buy new ones, Porkolotta.

    Box134, Mar 8, 2006
  11. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    <G>! I did that for years as well. Just last year I bought a new HP. I
    should have kept building my own.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006
  12. As for me, I haven't bought a new desktop computer since the spring of
    1990. Okay, some of the parts in that machine (this one, my primary
    system) aren't original. Okay, none of them are. Okay, neither is the
    case. But it's been evolution, not revolution. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 8, 2006
  13. Joe

    Top Guest

    You don't by chance have a NEC 8001A or NEC 8801A do you? They're from the
    early 80s and both ran on CPM. Decent OS, remember PIPing?

    Top

    Top, Mar 8, 2006
  14. Joe

    Top Guest

    Hmmm how about the Apple 2E? Or the 2C even (hope I got the models
    correct since I sold them). I was an Apple sales rep in the Base exchange
    store while I was stationed in Okinawa. We wanted to bring in the MACs
    but Apple wouldn't send them to us. Said they didn't want the locals to
    get one and then build cheap phoney MACs. Didn't make sense to me, if
    someone wanted to do that it wouldn't have been hard to find a MAC.

    Top

    Top, Mar 8, 2006
  15. Joe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Top spewed forth:
    Nope. The NEC I have came with DOS 2.1, upgraded to 3.3. I don't remember
    the model right now. It's one of the all-in-one models - monitor, keyboard,
    drives, etc. Kind of reminds me of a TRS-80 Model III.

    I used CP/M very little...and when I did, it was mostly Wordstar. Which had
    some interesting abilities itself.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 8, 2006
  16. Joe

    Margolotta Guest

    Margolotta, Mar 8, 2006
  17. Joe

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Pretty close.

    1984 Legendary ad appears during Super Bowl with the introduction of
    Apple Macintosh with 8 MHz Motorola 68000 CPU with 9" B&W sreen and
    400KB floppy drive and sells for $2,495. Apple IIc introduced at $1,295.
    Apple introduced Lisa 2.

    1985 Steve Wozniak leaves Apple followed later by Steve Jobs. Lisa 2 is
    renamed Macintosh XL and all other Lisa models discontinued. Macintosh
    System 2.0 introduces New Folder command and viewing by small icon or as
    a list.

    Oldus Fartus, Mar 8, 2006
  18. Joe

    Margolotta Guest

    You really are a top-posting, nappy-wearing product of a baboon's rectal
    orifice, aren't you?

    It's not what you can do with them, it's that they're collectable. My
    boyfriend has a whole cupboard full of old Apples (yes Apples, not Macs, most
    of them aren't) that he wouldn't part with, and I bet he's sitting on a nice
    little nest egg because most of them will work perfectly (he's very careful
    with his computers - and everything else).

    An Apple I recently changed hands for over $15,000, I read somewhere (The
    Register I believe). That's nearly 30 times what it cost when new! People
    collect them. There's an Apple II currently at £2,200 on eBay at the moment
    (and the auction still has 5 days to run). Someone is willing to pay over two
    grand for a 29 year old machine when the same money could buy them a
    top-of-the-range new MacTel machine. Why? Nostalgia. And there is more
    nostalgia value in Apple systems than in anything created by IBM (or so it
    would appear, since old PCs don't sell for nearly as much as old Apples).

    Don't you collect anything (apart from dust)?

    Margolotta, Mar 8, 2006
  19. Joe

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Do you have a link to the Apple II auction? I want to compare it with
    the half a dozen or so I have sitting out in the garage.

    They are worth stuff-all here in Australia, but for that sort of money I
    will list them internationally if idiots, er, sorry, collectors want
    them that badly.

    (I have worked in the auction, antiques and collectibles business and it
    never ceases to amaze me the things some people will collect.)

    Oldus Fartus, Mar 8, 2006
  20. Joe

    Top Guest

    CP/M was something like MS DOS. It used a CLI. Learning that before MS
    DOS was good. Somethings are very simular. As for Wordstar that was the
    first word processor I bought. Do you need a set of slightly used manuals
    for it? <g> I probably have the old floppies it came on.

    Top

    Top, Mar 8, 2006