    remain king of the tablets for one year.

    The next groundbreaking ultramobile device after that will quite likely not
    come from Apple.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 28, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    That has always been a sustainable market situation for Apple, to create
    the best user experience and be known for it.
    Other people came up with laptops and mp3 players and phones.
    They don't have to break new ground, but they have an advantage in their
    control of the human interface hardware and software.
    Where Googles advantage will become apparent will probably be in voice
    control and voice search and translation, and Google Goggles,
    streetview, real time traffic routing, that sort of thing. Android is
    not about linux, its about Google.

    victor, May 28, 2011

  3. Only partially true. For example, the i-devices have an atrocious system for
    handling notifications; Android does it much smoother. And don’t forget the
    multitasking.
    Only partially true, as I said.
    Where do you think Google makes its money from, with Android?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 29, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Search ads, more clicks. give away an OS that accelerates the progress
    of location based search.

    I highly recommend you read "In the Plex" by Steven Levy
    I'm a big Google and Android fan, but I don't see any reason to bag
    Apple, they're a great pacemaker for Android.

    victor, May 29, 2011
  5. I’m not bagging Apple, just pointing out facts.

    They were able to move in and dominate the MP3 player market, in spite of
    not being the first, because the only existing players were using limited,
    proprietary systems.

    They were able to move in and dominate smartphones, for the same reason.

    They were able to move in and dominate tablets, because the only competition
    was running Windows, which is hopeless on a tablet.

    But now Android is here, and spreading everywhere like wildfire. So when
    somebody else invents a new device category, Apple will not be the 2nd or
    3rd entrant into the market, it will more likely be the 10th.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 29, 2011
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    But as their track record demonstrates, they will still do a great job
    if and when they do enter the market.
    I don't see your point.

    victor, May 29, 2011
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    The next groundbreaking development is already enabled in Android and
    not yet available on iOS.
    Any idea ?

    victor, May 29, 2011
  8. They are no longer able to do a better job than the competition, as I
    pointed out.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 29, 2011
  9. Look at history to get some clues.

    Look at the netbook, for example: as a new product category, it came as a
    complete surprise to both Intel and Microsoft. It was like a breath of fresh
    air, until between the two of them they managed to bring restrictions to
    bear to stop the category becoming too innovative, until eventually it
    stagnated and is now in decline.

    With the ARM-based devices, nobody is in a position to do this. There is no
    Intel ordering “you can’t use this chip in that form factor or with that
    configurationâ€; no Microsoft decreeing “you can’t make that enhancement to
    our softwareâ€; it is very much a free-for-all. Google does not “controlâ€
    Android; the only thing it really controls is the Android Market, and even
    that is very much an optional part of the Android experience—the competition
    is seeing to that.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 29, 2011
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    Let us not forget about Marketing. Propoganda in feel good clothing.

    Gordon, May 29, 2011
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    I asked you.

    victor, May 29, 2011
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Why not admit it ?
    Apple are good at marketing and they have great products to sell

    victor, May 29, 2011
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Even though the software is open-source, device manufacturers can not
    use Google's Android trademark unless Google certifies that the device
    complies with their Compatibility Definition Document (CDD). Devices
    must also meet this definition to be eligible to license Google's
    closed-source applications, including the Android Market.
    The hardware manufacturers don't seem to see Google as an adversary.

    victor, May 29, 2011
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    No it wasn't. The Z88 was a later (1987/1988) battery powered portable
    computer with a built-in display.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Z88

    The ZX80 and ZX81 plugged into a TV and needed mains power, so in no way
    could they be regarded as "portable".

    David Empson, May 30, 2011
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    I don't think the people who buy Android powered phones are anti
    Microsoft, they may have even upgraded from Microsoft powered phones.

    victor, May 30, 2011
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    No it wasn't. The Z88 was a later (1987/1988) battery powered portable
    computer with a built-in display.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Z88

    The ZX80 and ZX81 plugged into a TV and needed mains power, so in no way
    could they be regarded as "portable".[/QUOTE]

    From memory my ZX81 didn't run off the mains, it had a power adapter like a wall
    wart.

    Msgr Scooter, May 30, 2011
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    From memory my ZX81 didn't run off the mains, it had a power adapter like
    a wall wart.[/QUOTE]

    Agreed, but that's not relevant.

    Even if you argue that the ZX81 itself could be operated from a battery
    pack with the right connector, it wouldn't have been practical in 1981
    to operate a TV that way for very long, and the resulting system would
    certainly not be "ultraportable" as this subthread was talking about.

    If you got a miniature TV and put the whole shebang into some kind of
    case (with batteries), you would have a large luggable item, not
    something resembling later devices like the Psion, Newton or Palm.

    David Empson, May 30, 2011
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    Agreed, but that's not relevant.[/QUOTE]

    I obviously read it differently, but I agree with your points.
    I was thinking of just the ZX81 rather than the ZX81 and the TV required.

    Msgr Scooter, May 30, 2011
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Sure, great products, but I don't see the need to be defensive about
    their marketing.

    victor, May 30, 2011
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    I was an early adopter on Compuserve and had one of these as my first
    portable email device.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80_Model_100
    I got the Cambridge Z88 when it came along too, I assume thats the one
    we're talking about, not the Sinclair Spectrum.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Z88
    It was great, I had a mini modem and crocodile clips, used it on BBS and
    email all over the world.

    victor, May 30, 2011