Apple Still Having Daylight-Saving Trouble

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 15, 2011.

  1. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 15, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    A better title would be "people who haven't updated their software are
    still being affected by a known bug in that version".

    The only one I saw in that article's talkback that clearly confirmed
    they had the "alarm an hour earlier or later" bug was running iOS 4.1,
    which is the version that had the bug last year.

    Apple fixed that particular bug in iOS 4.2, which was released in
    November 2010.

    Those who reported running iOS 3.x or the current 4.3 were fine. The
    only other problems mentioned might have been due to cellphone networks
    supplying incorrect time after the daylight saving transition.

    I've also seen similar comments elsewhere, and again the only people who
    clearly identified the same bug and the version were on iOS 4.1.

    All iOS devices running 4.1 are able to be upgraded to 4.2, so there is
    little point complaining again about a bug that Apple already fixed, but
    you didn't bother installing the fixed version.
    The bug in iOS 4.1 with alarms going off an hour early or late after
    daylight saving transitions was specific to one application (the Clock
    app supplied with the iPhone and iPod Touch).

    Everything else on the iPhone behaved correctly. Time changed at the
    transition, calendar events were timed correctly, etc.

    The effect was that recurring alarms shifted two hours earlier in UTC
    after the spring daylight saving transition (local time went forward one
    hour, thus the alarm was an hour early), and didn't shift in UTC after
    the autumn daylight saving transition (local time went back one hour,
    thus the alarm was an hour late).

    Both problems only lasted a few weeks then fixed themselves.

    It wasn't clear exactly to me how the bug in the Clock app could have
    been implemented, but I suspect that it was doing something along the
    lines of a Local-to-UTC conversion with the wrong local time zone
    specified, then UTC-to-Local with the right local time zone.

    David Empson, Mar 15, 2011

  3. And for folk that sync their calendars, rely on their calendars, work
    based on their calendars - this was a major PITA - with alarms going off
    an hour early.[/QUOTE]

    Sure ... but could have been worse ... an hour later would have been worse
    I'm thinking :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 15, 2011