Apple releases Photoshop killer: Aperture. Where's GIMP?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Karen Hill, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. Karen Hill

    Karen Hill Guest

    Apple is just amazing. Their hardware is so awesome and stylish that
    it is common to see Java, Linux and Unix developers carting their
    PowerBooks around at Linux and Open Source Expos. Computing hasn't
    been this stylish and powerful since the last time Steve Jobs has been
    at Apple which was at the height of the original Macintosh.

    Now Apple has announced the release of its Aperture software. It is
    designed from the ground up on the digital camera workflow. Most
    professionals are now putting digital backs on their hasselblad
    cameras.

    Apple has released such great photo software which seems much further
    advanced than the Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP). The Aperture
    user interface is awesome compared to gimp. Apple designers no doubt
    put careful thought and research into the user interface. Where in
    GIMP you can spend 10 minutes looking for a feature on google and every
    menu, the Aperture interface is intuitive.

    My point is this. Why can Apple release a product that matches and
    surpases Photoshop in most areas, where the GIMP program has struggled
    extensively? I know that Apple has integrated pdf support into OS X,
    has made Adobe retreat with Final Cut Pro kicking Premier off the map.

    We can see Apple's development model as superiour to the GNU model.
    Apple embraces the superiour software of BSD. Most BSD software is of
    better quality than its GPL counterpart. PostgreSQL is better than
    MySQL, OpenBSD is more secure than Linux, etc. In fact, Apple uses
    C++ in the Darwin Kernel, and is based on a Micro-Kernel design.

    Apple takes it one step further and refines the BSD quality into the
    user interface. Unlike GIMP or Linux where buttons are put willy
    nilly, Apple produces guidlines. Most Mac Application developers know
    them; but since Apple's OS X has extensive JAVA support, Apple smartly
    included instructions for JAVA developers (notorious for bad UI
    design).

    Quoth from apples's developer site (Linux devs take careful notes):

    " The Aqua user interface [] is streamlined to provide the absolute
    best user experience... This section helps you to make decisions that
    let your Java applications approach the appearance and performance
    characteristics of native applications. In fact, following some of the
    suggestions presented here can probably help make your application
    appear and perform more like native applications on other platforms as
    well. The topics covered here represent just a small subset of design
    decision topics, but they are high-visibility issues often present in
    Java application".

    http://developer.apple.com/document...ormIntegration/NativePlatformIntegration.html

    In fact, the design considerations are THE issue holding back Linux
    desktop progress. Even MS has more thought into the UI than Linux and
    GPL software. Apple put in the effort for excellent UI design and now
    it is paying off because they can release great products rapidly...even
    beating Adobe in so many areas that as a person who is a photography
    nut, is seeing the Photoshop empire crumbling to Apple and not Linux.

    I will probably skip purchasing the next upgrade to photoshop for my
    business and just move over to Aperture. Just look at the features:

    http://www.apple.com/aperture/compare/

    P.S. GIMP does have its uses I do agree. It is better than nothing,
    and for those who cannot afford professional tools like students and
    young people, it may be fine. Or for making amature Linux logos for
    yet another distro.

    Karen Hill, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Great, just what we need, a female Oxford. Can't you people ever figure out
    how to post to just one group?

    George Ellison, Oct 19, 2005

  3. On 19 Oct 2005 14:48:37 -0700, "Karen Hill" <>
    wrote:

    One question are you pimping or whoring for Apple?

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Oct 19, 2005
  4. Karen Hill

    7 Guest

    Appil Stinks

    Appil are only purchased by pretentious retards (pretards)
    who don't know what a computer is and pay over the odds for it.

    Oh yes and they also can't turn off the DRM when viewing movies.
    They those stupid appil payee retards have to watch all the stinkin adverts
    for hours on end before they get to watch the movie.
    So much for a pretard way of life and happiness.

    7, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Karen Hill

    B Gruff Guest

    Hi Susan!

    B Gruff, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Ah, so you bought your iPod first did you? ;-)

    Martin

    Martin Francis, Oct 19, 2005
  7. Karen Hill wrote:

    MySQL is better than PostgreSQL in the only test I have come across.
    Define 'better quality'
    OpenBSD is designed with security in mind, so of course it's going to be
    secure. Security isn't the only consideration, although it's important.
    And don't forget the difference between the Open Source _development model_
    and the Free Software _movement_.
    To be honest if you expect a polite response it is not a good idea to go
    ranting on about how BSD is better than Linux. I'm sorry but Linux is more
    usable than Free/Open/Net/*BSD. And OSX is not really a BSD. OSX is OSX.
    And it only runs on Macs.
    GNOME I believe has UI guidelines. Buttons put willy-nilly isn't a problem
    for anybody above luser level anyway.
    Incorrect. What is holding back Linux desktop progress is marketing and
    documentation.
    Move to what you wish to.
    There are indeed far more Linux distros than there is good cause for.

    Thomas Wootten, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Karen Hill

    GTO Guest

    Great, just what we need, a female Oxford. Can't you people ever figure
    These posters just don't want to listen that cross-posting is generally
    unacceptable. It just creates an impossible conversation from people from
    different groups with different objectives.

    Regarding Apple's new painting program:

    Why should it be any better than Photoshop CS2? I most certainly do not
    trust an application for my work that has not many years of testing behind
    itself. For $499, Photoshop CS2 is very reasonably priced. For an old Apple,
    I would stick to CS2.

    Regarding the MAC boxes:

    We all know that Apple swill soon release new HW that uses Intel CPU's
    (maybe AMD?). So, why invest more money in an outdated architecture? Once
    they switched to Intel's newest Xeon multicore CPU's, I might even consider
    an Apple box ;-)

    BTW, GIMP's for free. Nothing competes with that!

    Gregor

    GTO, Oct 19, 2005
  9. Karen Hill

    John Bailo Guest

    You know what's funny in old movies?

    When the guy walks into a dark room, and lights a candle, or a very
    small lamp and then suddenly it's a bright as daylight because they
    switch on all the movie lights in sync as if it's the candle or small
    light that's making all the light.

    John Bailo, Oct 19, 2005
  10. Karen Hill

    wd Guest

    <snip>

    That's why Linux use is growing faster than Mac use.
    This newsgroup is about Linux. Go away.

    I don't trust Apple's software. iTunes and Quicktime are so invasive
    when you install them on Windows I wouldn't feel comfortable using a
    Mac OS. If I had an Apple computer I would delete the Apple OS and put
    Ubuntu Linux on it. I'm sure the hardware is very nice but I prefer two
    mouse buttons so I'm going to stick with what I have.

    wd, Oct 20, 2005
  11. This newsgroup is about digital photography.

    But I agree that the OP should not have cross posted to any linux groups.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 20, 2005
  12. Apple's current mouse has three buttons plus a button on the scroll ball
    (which is a two-dimensional scroll wheel).

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 20, 2005
  13. Karen Hill

    TheLetterK Guest

    Not even close. Aperture's only real advantage is the wide array of OOTB
    filters and good CYMK support.
    Unless your used to the GIMP instead of Photoshop.
    What are you talking about? It's certainly not the GIMP.
    Apple charges $500 for a copy of Aperture. The GIMP is $0 for a far more
    flexible application. Why do you think Apple can afford professional UI
    designers? It's sad that the GIMP (a free application, maintained by
    volunteers in their spare time) is seriously being compared with a $500
    photo manipulation app. What does that say about Apple's developers?
    How do you figure?
    The only advantage the BSDs have right now is security--and that's
    rapidly changing.
    Who are you trying to kid, Oxtard?
    PostgreSQL is a GPLd app.
    That status is changing very rapidly. It certainly doesn't help OS X out.
    Darwin is an XNU distribution. XNU (the Darwin kernel) is an
    amalgamation of mach and BSD. Most BSD than mach, but sufficiently
    different to be it's own thing.
    Bwahaha! You should start a comedy act. It probably pays better than
    usenet trolling.
    Then breaks them or changes them as the need arises. At least the GIMP
    people stick by their HIG.
    Yes, except for the ones working at Apple.
    That's why the Java->ObjC bridge is depreciated, and why it takes Apple
    at least 6 months to release major versions of Java?

    Apple smartly
    What design considerations? Every problem you have discussed has not
    been a problem for the last 4 years, at least.
    They may give more thorugh to it than the Linux community as a whole
    (we're still deciding which of the half-dozen guidelines should be
    adopted), but not to the major efforts like GNOME or KDE.
    I don't see Aperture supplanting Photoshop. Aperture is missing some
    rather critical elements. Like drawing instructions.
    Or for any other kind of image manipulation that needs to be done. It's
    really quite versitile. More-so than just about any other image
    manipulation app around... if the user can be bothered to learn Scheme.

    TheLetterK, Oct 20, 2005
  14. Karen Hill

    TheLetterK Guest

    Hmm, nevermind. It is under the BSD license, but it certainly runs
    perfectly fine on GNU/Linux. It is, after all, one of their primary
    platform targets.

    TheLetterK, Oct 20, 2005
  15. Karen Hill

    bmoag Guest

    Repeat after me, "Less than 4% of desktop market share worldwide and
    shrinking. Expected to shrink further when Apple moves to Intel based CPU
    and chipset."

    bmoag, Oct 20, 2005
  16. Karen Hill

    ASAAR Guest

    Mac Evangelists always engage in the former, but sometimes are
    guilty of both, as I suspect this googling yahoo is doing.

    ASAAR, Oct 20, 2005
  17. Karen Hill

    Steve Hix Guest

    There you go: twits from both extremes.

    Although one *does* seem to need to work on grammar and spelling just a
    bit more than the other.

    Steve Hix, Oct 20, 2005
  18. Karen Hill

    John Bailo Guest

    And less than expected iPod sales, with fierce price cutting, feature
    enhancement and alliances by competitors in the downloadable music business
    (Microsoft and Real's recent alliance).

    John Bailo, Oct 20, 2005
  19. Karen Hill

    Tim Smith Guest

    Have you considered going to www.apple.com and actually reading up on
    what Aperature is? (Hint: it has very little overlap with what
    Photoshop or The Gimp do).

    Tim Smith, Oct 20, 2005
  20. OK, let mom have her e-machine back.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 20, 2005