    filter, out of the box, the first message that went into the junk mail
    box was an email from Ballmer, telling us how helpful the new spam
    filter wold be. Some of my friends at MS had a sense of humor about it.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013

  2. RichA

    Mayayana Guest

    | > You're having a
    | > fist fight in a house of mirrors. Or maybe it'd be more
    | > accurate to say you're a white knight trying to fight a
    | > mythical beast known as "Wintel". Wintel doesn't exist.
    |
    | wintel doesn't exist? you're on crack.

    It's an invention of Apple marketing and fans. Apple
    is the minority product, so they market by attacking
    the majority product. Windows has always been a
    commodity system that runs on a variety of hardware,
    with very little control over software. There are pros
    and cons to that approach, but one pro is that it
    allowed Microsoft to grab majority market. Apple,
    on the other hand, created a tightly controlled,
    overpriced, boutique product. The big pro with that
    is stability. They control every aspect. The cons are
    restrictions, high price and limited software. Apple
    fans have been trained to think that the Apple way is
    the norm, so they view Windows+Intel as a single unit
    selling another version of tightly controlled product.
    It simply doesn't work that way. There is no Wintel.
    Take a look at TigerDirect.com. They sell parts to
    make Windows/Linux PCs. There's no lockdown like
    there is with Apple.

    Apple's problem is the dilemma of the minority. If
    you sold quinoa you might think that wheat is your
    nemesis in the US, because that's the staple grain.
    But Americans don't sit around thinking about how
    they're going to stand behind wheat in the battle
    against quinoa. They buy quinoa occasionally as a
    change of pace, or to impress dinner guests. Apple
    is like the Commercial Quinoa Council. They go around
    badmouthing wheat. But most people just eat their
    sandwiches and their pasta. Quinoa is just not on
    their minds.

    It is impressive, though, that Apple sells half of
    their Macs to first-time users. Within a few years, then,
    everyone on Earth should be using a Mac. By 2030
    probably everyone in the solar system will be using
    Macs! Maybe that's why the new Apple offices are
    a spaceship?
    Boy, that Steve Jobs sure did have vision. :)

    Mayayana, Dec 24, 2013

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    And the absence of a link had no effect on your credibility.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  4. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Is that some, or most?
    If "some," what percentage of users?

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Proof?
    Is it made or assembled and distributed by Apple.
    Note that apples are eaten, while Apples eat money.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  6. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Metaphors, humor and sarcasm are lost on nospam.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  7. RichA

    Mayayana Guest

    | Metaphors, humor and sarcasm are lost on nospam.

    Probably, but I wouldn't write if I thought
    I were writing to him. I write when I think I
    might have some kind of clarification worth
    making, that might be of value to someone.

    The nice thing about metaphors and humor
    is that they're not as easy to distort in a
    kneejerk rebuttal as are facts.

    Nospam has an impressive ability to add
    murkiness to clarification. If I say the sky's blue
    then he'll say it's also white... or gray... or
    whatever it wants to be. He'll then draw a half
    dozen specious conclusions, so that by the time
    he's done I'm afraid I may have only confused
    matters by stating that the sky is blue. :)

    Mayayana, Dec 24, 2013
  8. You asked what GUIs existed in the 1970s. I told you about one. The command
    line was a rather new thing at the time, too. ASR35 teletypes at 110 baud. A
    big step forward from a card punch.

    There was a lot of research going on to try to improve the man-machine
    interface, which was pretty awful. It was clear that GUIs would be used for
    some types of graphical interfaces, like CAD, because a command line was totally
    unusable. Ford had some pretty serious work going on.

    I don't remember anyone that thought they would become as ubiquitous as they are
    today. A computer you could carry in your pocket and access the Internet from
    anywhere? Don't be absurd. Most computers required multiple fork lifts to
    carry. Even a bare PDP-8 took two strong guys to move.

    Wait! What's the Internet?

    -- Doug

    Douglas Johnson, Dec 24, 2013
  9. RichA

    Guest Guest

    no it isn't. where do you come up with this shit?

    it's a term coined by windows users because windows runs on intel and
    very few intel systems run anything but windows.

    it's *very* rare one exists without the other.

    nt could run on a couple of other platforms but that never went
    anywhere.
    no.

    microsoft grabbed the majority market share with predatory business
    tactics which spawned multiple lawsuits.

    one way they forced it down everyone's throat was by making it
    economically unfeasible for clone makers to offer anything *but*
    windows.

    what matters is getting a product that does what someone needs to do
    and does it well. sometimes it's a mac and sometimes it isn't. buying
    whatever everyone else is buying is stupid.
    none of that is true.
    other than not controlling any of the software and hardware, you mean?

    a mac user can run *any* third party software they want and install a
    wide variety of third party hardware.

    the apis and the hardware specs are fully documented, so anyone can
    write apps or create hardware accessories. this has always been the
    case, going back to the very first mac.
    there are no restrictions, prices are competitive for similar specs and
    a mac can run more software than a windows box can because it can
    virtualize windows and any other system.

    one box, any software.
    there is no lockdown with macs.

    get that through you thick skull.

    there's more lockdown on windows, because microsoft loves to modify
    standards to lock people into their ecosystem, notably with windows
    media and what they did with browser extensions.
    people buy macs because they *want* to and because a mac can do what
    they need to do better than the other options.

    this concept is *totally* lost on you. you can't see past your apple
    hatred to see that a mac is a very capable device.
    you failed at math too, i see.

    not that it matters since macs *and* windows systems are rapidly
    becoming specialized devices, replaced by mobile devices for most
    tasks.

    not all tasks, but the majority of what people do with their computer
    can be done on a device that fits in a pocket (and a jacket pocket for
    a tablet).
    he had a lot more vision than you every will.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    too bad you aren't even close to correct.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i don't see any links refuting anything i said, so by your own metric,
    you aren't credible. just your usual vague hand waving.

    anyway here's a start:
    <http://www.apple.com/pr/>

    apple said it in most of the earnings calls i've listened to (and i
    listen to many). you might still be able to download them.

    but then you'd have to admit you're full of shit, so you won't.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  12. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it may have existed but it wasn't anything that people thought would
    take over the world, which you agree with below.
    cad is a specialized use case.
    *exactly* my point.
    what's even more amusing is the phone in your pocket is way more
    powerful than a pdp8, which was often used for a timesharing system
    back then, supporting more than one user.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  14. RichA

    Guest Guest

    there is but they're synonymous. it's an easy mistake to make and you
    are of course, fixating on it.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    It is not up to me to prove a negative. It's up to you to prove the
    correctness of your affirmative statement, when challenged.

    OK you have set the standard. The net time you ask me for proff, I will
    give you a few thousand pages to read. I tell you right now that you ar
    not important enough to me that I would bother to wade through all that
    Apple propaganda, to find proff of your statement. Which has been lost
    due to your snipping method.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  16. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    It is?
    IIRC you said that those who thought command lines were the only way to
    go were wrong. (or something like that.) Amazing how you just switch
    position, without so much as a blink, when you are proven wrong.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    According to your reference Canon is #1 in popularity.
    Again, does Apple manufacture cameras, or simply assemble and distribute
    them in iPhones?
    Your statement said "made."

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  18. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Was it actually graphical though? All the light pen systems I saw were
    text displays where the light pen could be used to select text, or
    possibly select commands off an on-screen text menu.
    The first CRT I encountered was a pretty dismal thing. It pretty much
    imitated a paper terminal.
    And yet the most popular CAD system was for a long time was based in a
    command line. I haven't used AUTOCAD in ages--have they finally dragged
    it kicking and screaming into the '90s?

    J. Clarke, Dec 24, 2013
  19. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    So that's why they sold WordPerfect.
    Well done.

    That start up money went to my project to build a Nauga breeding farm,
    the purpose of which was to alleviate the pending Naugahyde shortage.

    PeterN, Dec 25, 2013
  20. RichA

    Guest Guest

    legally?? usenet is not a legal document.

    i did say apple instead of jobs. it's not that hard to figure out what
    i meant (which you did in fact do) and if that's the biggest issue you
    can come up with, i'm doing just fine.

    Guest, Dec 25, 2013