  1. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    What happened to your "eod"

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    That last exchange was typical of his lack of logic. There is little
    point and he doesn't want to learn. He only want's to argue, even when
    his point contradicts something he said in the same thread, and was
    proven to be wrong.

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Check your timeline.
    According t this site, the GUI first appeared in 1973.

    <http://toastytech.com/guis/guitimeline.html>

    I am waiting for nospam to argue that the Ethernet is used to catch the
    ether bunny. ;-p

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  4. RichA

    Guest Guest

    no surprise there. my one sentence wasn't intended to relay the entire
    story.
    the point is that xerox didn't know what they had and let someone
    *else* turn it into a commercial success.

    unfortunately apple was mismanaged, which allowed microsoft to steal it.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    you're the one who does the eod thing when you realize you screwed up
    and won't admit it.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  6. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i didn't contradict myself. you are once again, lying

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    the alto was slow and a commercial failure. it was basically a
    technology demo more than anything else. most people never heard of it
    and those that did didn't think a gui would be the standard because the
    alto wasn't all that great.

    the star was much better (and i used one, long ago), however, xerox
    still didn't 'get it' and didn't want to do anything with it.

    apple came along and saw just how advanced it was and turned it into
    the mac, which was later stolen by microsoft.
    you might be waiting a while.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  8. RichA

    Mayayana Guest

    | apple came along and saw just how advanced it was and turned it into
    | the mac, which was later stolen by microsoft.

    There's a famous story about that. The following
    quotes seem to be agreed upon, but the tone of
    the story differs depending on who tells it:

    "You're ripping us off!", Steve shouted, raising his voice even higher. "I
    trusted you, and now you're stealing from us!"

    But Bill Gates just stood there coolly, looking Steve directly in the eye,
    before starting to speak in his squeaky voice.

    "Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it. I think
    it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into
    his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it."

    MS had signed a contract agreeing not to come out
    with the mouse GUI for a year after Apple was expecting
    to release it. They didn't break the contract, according to
    accounts, but Apple was late coming out with their
    version, and Steve Jobs chose to ignore the wording
    of the contract when he attacked Gates for taking an
    idea that was never Jobs's idea in the first place.

    I'm not sure that either Gates or Jobs ever really had
    creativity. They knew how to run a company and make
    money. But somehow Jobs managed to sell an image of
    himself as a "genius", just as Gates has somehow managed
    to reinvent himself as a "genius philanthropist". They seem
    to share at least one notable quality: a vain, theatrical
    overvaluing of their own intelligence.

    Mayayana, Dec 24, 2013
  9. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Note that Apple paid Xerox 100,000 shares of Apple stock at $10 a share
    in exchange for access to PARC technology. That stock taking splits
    into consideration, is now worth approximately half a billion dollars.

    J. Clarke, Dec 24, 2013
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    assuming they still own it.

    however, the key is that apple didn't steal a thing. they paid for it.

    on the other hand, microsoft stole from apple and also next too.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    The contradiction is there for all to plainly see. the only requirement
    is the ability to read and comprehend. Too bad you have that shortcoming.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    So you learned a new technique. Good. You get a B- for that.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  14. RichA

    Guest Guest

    where are your facts that refute it?

    oh yea, you don't have any. you're just talking out your butt as usual.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Read my posting, and the associated link, asshole.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  16. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Both were developed by Apple, as advertising propaganda.

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    do try to keep up. The meaning has been fully explained. <//END sarcasm tag>

    PeterN, Dec 24, 2013
  18. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Actually, Apple did not develop the Santa myth. They *purchased* the
    Santa myth for an undisclosed number of iTune downloads of "Rudolph
    the Red-Nosed Reindeer", "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", and "Santa
    Baby".

    Bill Gates submitted a bid offering to change the platform name from
    "Windows" to "Chimneys", but the bid was sent by sleigh and the sleigh
    crashed.

    Sun Microsystems, not yet acquired by Oracle, was disqualified from
    the bidding because their open source position would allow everyone to
    know who was Naughty and who was Nice.

    Novell submitted a bid in 1993, but the North Pole Elves Union quashed
    the bid on the basis that it would make 80% of the Elf workforce
    redundant if presents had to be made for just Unix users.

    Brian Fox, of GNU Bash fame, attempted get funding to form a start-up
    Santa Myth company, but investors were turned off by Brian's desire to
    use "Now, Dasher! Now, Dancer! Now, Prancer, and Vixen! On, Comet! On,
    Cupid! On, Donder and Blitzen!" as a Command Line.

    Tony Cooper, Dec 24, 2013
  19. RichA

    Mayayana Guest

    | gates was a very shrewd businessperson who engaged in illegal and
    | predatory tactics, resulting in several lawsuits. windows didn't become
    | dominant because it was any good, it became dominant because of how
    | microsoft played the game.
    |

    | that won't work anymore. now microsoft has to compete on technology,
    | which is not their strong suit.
    |

    | it will be very interesting to see what will happen with their new ceo
    | and the transition to mobile. windows won't last forever and their
    | current single digit market share in the mobile space won't carry them
    | that far, which means they'll be a tiny shadow of what they once were.

    Perhaps Lord Jobs will come back from the dead
    to save humanity from reasonably priced, mediocre
    entertainment devices. Then throngs of AppleSeeds
    will congregate at Apple churches to light candles and
    offer their charge cards as welcome-back gifts. Wouldn't
    you just love that?
    And Jobs-willing there will be an amazing new product
    to cheer the followers. Something truly, stunningly
    groundbreaking and inspiring. Something that elevates
    all of humanity... like maybe a taupe iPhone, or a stereo
    vibrator with a built-in iTunes app and a 100mp camera.

    Mayayana, Dec 24, 2013
  20. RichA

    Guest Guest

    back to insults?

    if you think the article is incorrect, cite facts that show it to be
    wrong.

    otherwise, you're full of shit.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013