    Bear in mind that the original typewriter keyboard was an "ABC"
    keyboard. Anybody who claims that the purpose of QWERTY was to "slow
    typists down" should try typing on an ABC.

    J. Clarke, Dec 21, 2013

  2. RichA

    Guest Guest

    dvorak is not ergonomic nor is it any faster.

    that's a big myth.

    Guest, Dec 22, 2013

  3. RichA

    DanP Guest

    They were right, OSX, iOS, Linux and Android are offsprings of Unix. Unix was the OS for powerful computer with RISC CPUs. Today in the world there are more devices running these OSs than computers.

    DanP

    DanP, Dec 22, 2013
  4. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Sorry, but there hasn't been a VAX made in nearly a decade. And the
    only reason Linux is popular is that it's free.

    J. Clarke, Dec 22, 2013
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    They were right, OSX, iOS, Linux and Android are offsprings of Unix.[/QUOTE]

    not exactly right.

    ios and android are embedded devices and the user does not know nor
    care what's at the core.

    furthermore, ios and android apps are not unix apps, nor are mac apps.

    android is its own system in a java virtual machine, on top of a linux
    core.
    but nobody interacts with them that way anymore.

    back in the pdp11 era, people expected that command line was the only
    way. they were very wrong.

    Guest, Dec 22, 2013
  6. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I think I remember NEC selling a RISK computer that ran under Windows.

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    not exactly right.

    ios and android are embedded devices and the user does not know nor
    care what's at the core.

    furthermore, ios and android apps are not unix apps, nor are mac apps.

    android is its own system in a java virtual machine, on top of a linux
    core.[/QUOTE]

    True. (don't get a heart attack, nospam.)
    They were not wrong. At the time it ws the best way. I know there may
    have been other OSs. But they were not commercially effective at the
    time. Remember the key words: 'AT THE TIME."

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    the relevant part is
    it wasn't.

    the fact that ios and android have unix or linux at the core is an
    implementation detail. the apps aren't unix apps. they're written to a
    higher level api that has little to nothing to do with unix.

    Guest, Dec 22, 2013
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Amazing. I agree with you and you argue. Wattsamatta, nospam, are you bored.

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    but you aren't.

    you said
    non-command line alternatives *didn't exist* at the time.

    furthermore, nobody imagined a computer more powerful than what they
    had at the time fitting in a pants pocket, driven entirely by touch.

    Guest, Dec 22, 2013
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Now you are relying on something several levels in, and following your
    "instructions," I was replying to something you said that was only one
    level in.

    PeterN, Dec 22, 2013
  12. RichA

    Guest Guest

    nope. i'm replying to what you said.

    no wonder you have so much trouble.

    Guest, Dec 22, 2013
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Therefore, you statement that: back in the pdp11 era, people expected
    that command line was the only way. they were very wrong.

    Is, as I said, not correct.

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  14. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    According to Einstein, you have serious comprehension issues.

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    doesn't matter, since i was replying to the most recent post.

    what i snipped was not relevant to that.

    do you actually reread all the quoted material, even when only a line
    or two is added??

    Guest, Dec 23, 2013
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    what guis existed in the 1970s, which was the pdp11 era?

    the xerox star was in the 1980s but was a commercial failure. even
    xerox didn't think the gui was going anywhere, which is why they sold
    it to apple.

    Guest, Dec 23, 2013
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    That was exactly my point.
    irrelevant, in view of the above.

    Posting for the sake of posting?

    PeterN, Dec 23, 2013
  18. At the University of Michigan, I was involved in the development of a CRT/light
    pen based system running on a PDP-8. This was 1970 plus or minus a year. Not
    much of a GUI by today's standards, but a GUI none the less.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pen

    -- Doug

    Douglas Johnson, Dec 23, 2013
  19. RichA

    Guest Guest

    then you're contradicting yourself.
    very relevant.
    i wonder that about you.

    Guest, Dec 23, 2013
  20. RichA

    Guest Guest

    did anyone expect that would replace the command line? it was a special
    purpose interface device. there were vector graphics terminals too,
    rather than 80x24 text.

    the mouse was invented in 1967, but it doesn't mean people thought a
    mouse driven gui was going to be the standard, let alone touch.

    Guest, Dec 23, 2013