Apple Computer enters DVD war.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Dan P. Guest

    The Mac mini will never become the PC equivalent to the iPod, no matter how
    much they market it. The reason is that iPods don't have to worry about
    being compatible with an established library of software titles. In the DAP
    market (and other electronics markets), this isn't a concern...all that
    matters is which company has the most appealing product.

    But actually the DAP market has now become almost similar to the PC market.
    iPods, although once the superior product, have now become inferior in many
    ways to several other DAPs, but Apple still has a majority of the market.
    Why? Well, I think part of it is that people have now identified DAPs with
    iPods, similar to how people identify computers with Windows. Maybe OS-X or
    Linux is a better OS...but people won't care. Almost everyone owns a
    Windows PC, so when they go and buy a PC, they'll want Windows.

    For an OS (and any accompanying PC hardware) to ever overtake Windows,
    they're going to have to offer features (and/or software titles) that
    Windows can't even come close to offering. Or they'll have to completely
    redesign the user interface to the PC, just like Windows (and originally the
    Mac OS) changed the way we worked with computers when it was introduced.
    There are more viruses on Windows because 95+% of desktop PCs use Windows.
    Virus develoeprs are not going to target the MacOS which holds such a tiny
    percentage of the desktop market. If the MacOS ever became as popular as
    Windows, like you're predicting, then it too will have plenty of viruses.
    1) Macs up until a few years ago (pre OS-X) did not use a Unix-based
    operating system. So no, this is not the reason why they are using their
    own OS.

    2) Windows XP is very stable. I can't remember the last time I had an
    OS-related crash on my PC.

    3) Just because an OS is Unix-based does not guarantee it's stable. Linux
    is Unix-based. I can go download the kernel code right now and build my own
    version of the kernel to distribute. If I introduce a bunch of bugs in to
    this code, then it will most certainly not be stable.

    Dan

    Dan P., Mar 12, 2005

  2. Perhaps it wasn't, but surely one would need to *pay* for a licensed copy of
    Windows to run it...whether the company includes it in the price of the
    product or not.

    Patrick Michael, Mar 12, 2005

  3. Allan

    Dan P. Guest

    I'd say it's a matter of opinion whether Macs are more stable. As I said in
    another part of this thread, Windows XP is very stable, much more than
    95/98/Me. And Windows NT/2000 has always been stable.

    And I don't know about you, but I don't have any viruses on my PC. With a
    little common sense and the right tools, viruses aren't a problem.

    So now that we've eliminated stability issues and viruses, I don't see the
    benefit in paying more money for a Mac. And if I did buy a Mac and needed
    to use a Windows app, I'd have to go and buy VirtualPC, when I could have
    just bought a less expensive Windows PC to begin with.

    Dan

    Dan P., Mar 12, 2005
  4. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    Ha! I nominate this for dumbest post of the year award. You've been
    living under a rock for the past couple of years Dan.

    Black Locust, Mar 12, 2005
  5. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    Ignore my earlier post where I blasted you for proclaiming Apple small
    time, Dan. After reading several of your other posts in this thread, it
    does appear you know your stuff. But you still shouldn't write off
    Apple. They're big time players and should help out the Blu-Ray camp A
    LOT in the long run.

    Black Locust, Mar 12, 2005
  6. Allan

    RichA Guest

    Apple's percentage of the total computer market has dropped 20 % in
    the last three years.
    -Rich

    RichA, Mar 12, 2005
  7. Also, Steve Jobs is not seen as the Embodiment of Evil and/or Bad
    Programming on Earth, which makes hackers less prone to *create*
    Mac-software viruses.

    (...Oh, and we don't use Outlook as much.)
    Basically, every major third-party useful application (Office,
    Photoshop, etc.) comes out for both platforms already--
    And for most technical-creation programs (iMovie, iTunes), Apple's own
    built-in native software tends to be easier and more technically
    efficient in the industry than the third-party programs Windows
    developers can scrape together for their own platform.

    The biggest remaining smug-whine for core Windows supporters tends to be
    "Yeah, but there's more GAME software for Windows!"
    Boo friggin' hoo. Let 'em eat Playstation. :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Mar 12, 2005
  8. iPod's currently keeping the company alive (the newest thin monitor-only
    iMac is advertised as "In the design spirit of iPod!"), even if Mac Mini
    isn't going to be an overnight runaway seller--
    The Mini won't singlehandedly conquer PC saturation on charm and price
    alone, but it's designed for people stuck in a Mac workplace who have to
    take work home to their Gateway, and plugging a little lunchbox
    peripheral into their monitor is easier than using clunky conversion
    software.

    Thus kicking in Mac's biggest selling secret weapon, Subtle Infiltration
    and Enlightenment of the Windows-Indoctrinated User...

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Mar 12, 2005
  9. Allan

    Mark Jones Guest

    I see that it is Microsoft that is selling VirtualPC now, so there
    won't be a licensing issue. I used this a long time ago, before
    it was acquired by Microsoft.

    Mark Jones, Mar 12, 2005
  10. A *little* common sense!? Tell that to the hordes. It takes more than "a
    little" to keep viruses at bay. Power users such as yourself always seem
    to have blinders on regarding this point.

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 12, 2005
  11. Another one who's never heard of "total cost of ownership" and
    "similarly configured systems".
    Actually the real truth is you'd be a moron for buying the wrong
    computer for your needs in the first place.

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 12, 2005
  12. Allan

    Dan P. Guest

    You may have apologized for this ridiculous remark later in the thread
    (thank you for the apology), but let me respond here. Apple *used* to be a
    major player in the PC market. But *today* it holds a very teeny, weenie
    percentage of that market. What I said was completely accurate for today's
    market.

    Dan

    Dan P., Mar 12, 2005
  13. Allan

    Dan P. Guest

    Total cost of ownership is exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned
    having to buy Virtual PC as an additional cost when buying a Mac. This was
    indicated that Apple will never penetrate the PC market as long as they
    don't run Windows.

    That's where this whole debate started...not whether buying an Apple is
    better economics, but whether Apple was, or ever will be, a big player in
    the PC market. In the past they were, but they have lost alot of market
    share, and it's mainly because they don't natively run Windows as their OS.
    If they did, they'd probably kill the competition.
    This is partly true. You'd be a moron (well that's a bit strong...you'd be
    unwise) to buy a PC that wasn't the best fit for your needs, *within your
    budget*.

    Dan

    Dan P., Mar 12, 2005
  14. Allan

    RichA Guest

    Not at their price levels.
    -Rich

    RichA, Mar 12, 2005
  15. Because 'power users' don't get viruses, I haven't had one in years and I
    don't even run Anti-Virus software all the time, just once a month to
    check. The total is 3 in 9.5 years, and the last was a DOS virus. The
    problem is most users don't have 'Common sense'... Another attacked
    Explorer.exe on the C drive, I was running Win2K off D: drive at the time.
    The other one I don't remember what it did...

    Quantum Leaper, Mar 12, 2005
  16. If you were a gamer you would know PC and consoles have different types of
    game available for each. I still play games on my PC more than I do on my
    Gamecube...

    Quantum Leaper, Mar 12, 2005
  17. "A little common sense and the right tools"... and you're trying
    to describe the majority of Windows users? The people that, by
    definition, are responsible for Windows' huge market share? The people
    that still forward stupid e-mails because they think Bill Gates is going
    to give them a Disney vacation?

    Come on, most users are less likely to have problems if they get
    something that's less likely to get viruses to begin with, as opposed
    to a good machine that needs some attention every once in a while.
    However, to be fair, I do think if Apple's market share increased,
    we'd just see more Mac viruses. :-|
    To be somewhat agreeable, if you "needed" to use a Windows app, you
    probably should be buying a PC and know how to work one. But honestly,
    how many people out there use their home computers for stuff that
    couldn't be done on a Mac?

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Mar 13, 2005
  18. Allan

    Justin Guest

    There's an easy answer here. It's called "Gamers".

    Justin, Mar 14, 2005
  19. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Because sim and stragegy games work so well on a console...

    Justin, Mar 14, 2005
  20. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Dan P. wrote on [Sat, 12 Mar 2005 06:11:14 GMT]:
    No, they'll want "Microsoft". That's all they knew windows by
    Just because Macs are small time in the market share doesn't mean they
    don't influence PC makers. Look at the Gateway all in ones, and several
    other machines that tried to emulate the iMac success.

    Justin, Mar 14, 2005