Apple Computer enters DVD war.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Apple Computer enters DVD war
    The maker of iPod and personal computers comes out in support of
    Blu-ray DVD format.
    March 10, 2005: 2:54 PM EST
    By Krysten Crawford, CNN/Money staff writer

    NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The battle over high-definition DVDs heated up
    Thursday with the announcement that Apple Computer has joined a
    leading group backing a disc format known as Blu-ray.

    The announcement by the Blu-ray Disc Association that Apple (Research)
    has become a board member is significant. The developers of Blu-ray,
    which include Sony Corporation (Research) and Panasonic, are locked in
    a fierce tug-of-war with the creators of a rival format that Toshiba
    (Research) and NEC (Research) are developing called HD DVD.

    The new DVDs will be used to store not just movies, but also music,
    video games, digital photos and other data.

    Apple, the maker of the popular iPod portable music player as well as
    personal computers, is a potent player in the entertainment and
    technology industries.

    Neither of the competing DVD formats is available yet in the U.S. But
    the battle to become the high-definition standard is unnerving the
    entertainment industry, which has seen DVD sales skyrocket in recent
    years and fears a repeat of the epic war between Betamax and VHS two
    decades ago. That fight divided the budding market for home videos and
    is widely believed to have slowed the industry's growth.

    With the U.S. market for DVD sales and rentals approaching $25
    billion, the last thing Hollywood or any entertainment company wants
    is to confuse consumers and force them to make a choice between two
    formats.

    The odds of a format war are rising fast. Toshiba plans to release its
    first HD DVD player in December and the Blu-ray crowd is scheduled to
    roll out its system in early 2006. Entertainment companies are
    expected to begin selling DVDs in either format at the same time.

    Analysts don't expect consumers to start buying high-def DVD players
    and discs en masse until 2007.

    The main reason for the slow start: cost. For consumers to watch a
    movie in high-def will require both a high-def television set as well
    as new DVD player and disc. That's because today's DVD players will
    not be able to play the new high-def discs (although the new players
    will be able to play today's DVDs and CDs.).

    Toshiba claims its initial HD DVD player will be priced at less than
    $1,000 and Blu-ray creators plan to compete on price. It's not yet
    known what movie studios will charge for a high-def DVDs, although a
    decline in existing DVD prices and the prospect of charging more for
    the next generation is one reason Hollywood is eager for a new format.

    Opinions as to which DVD version is better vary among analysts and
    within the entertainment and technology industries. Both promise
    better safeguards against piracy, which is a top priority now for
    movie studios. And both offer significantly more storage capacity than
    today's DVDs, with Blu-ray offering up to 50 gigabytes and HD DVD
    promising as much as 25 gigabytes. By way of comparison, current DVDs
    contain about 5 gigabytes of storage.

    Analysts, however, say that HD DVD is an easier and cheaper technology
    to make, but that Blu-ray's ability to hold more memory is more
    promising in the long run.

    Both camps have lined up powerful supporters. The Blu-ray team, which
    has spent years and an estimated $1.2 billion developing the
    technology, has won the backing of Hewlett-Packard (Research),
    Samsung, Electronic Arts (Research) and now Apple. The major movie
    studios behind Blu-ray include Walt Disney and Sony Pictures.

    The HD DVD side has fewer technology companies behind it, but more
    Hollywood studios. Among its top supporters are Paramount, Universal,
    Warner Bros. and New Line. Warner Bros. and New Line, along with
    CNN/Money, are owned by Time Warner (Research). Top of page

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Allan

    Dan P. Guest

    Apple's not exactly a major contendor in the PC market. I'm more interested
    in what the big players will do.

    Dan

    Dan P., Mar 11, 2005

  3. Allan

    TB Guest

    Don't underestimate Apple. A lot of people had writen the company off not
    even 3 years ago and look at them now. It's conceivable Apple could come up
    with some kind of player/burner, portable or for home use that has universal
    appeal like the IPod does and grab a tremendous share of player market
    sales, thereby influencing other companies to follow suit.

    T.B.

    TB, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Allan

    Invid Fan Guest

    The mini mac is their step in that direction.

    Invid Fan, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Allan

    Stephen Guest

    Apple is a pioneer in the market........just take a look at the
    innovations from Apple and then how others seem to follow the lead.

    Best you take a another look at your figures.....Apple is a key player
    in the market.

    Stephen, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Apple already HAS an iMovie program for HD (as plugged in the press
    release), and it's only Apple nature to sell it in the next tech-upgrade
    so we'll all use it--

    Remember, Apple *comes up* with the tech-standard innovations, it's just
    everybody else that catches on and uses them.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Allan

    Dan P. Guest

    Apple is not a key player in the "PC" market. They have a very small
    percentage of this market. This is the market I refer to. People seem to
    think that because they dominate the DAP market, that they are a force to be
    reckoned with in every other technology market.

    When we see what the Dells, HPs, Gateways of the PC market will support,
    then we'll see which format starts to have the upper edge.

    Dan

    Dan P., Mar 11, 2005
  8. Allan

    Meng Guest

    A small percentage perhaps, but one that's getting bigger - and will
    continue to do so with the Mac mini.

    Meng, Mar 12, 2005
  9. Allan

    Dan P. Guest

    Actually their percentage has gotten smaller and smaller throughout the
    years. The Mac mini isn't going to change that. The fact is the whole PC
    world revolves around Windows. As long as Apple uses its own OS, the Mac
    will never have deep market penetration.

    Dan

    Dan P., Mar 12, 2005
  10. How do you explain VirtualPC, then?

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Mar 12, 2005
  11. Owned by Microsoft, that VirtualPC, right?

    Quantum Leaper, Mar 12, 2005
  12. Allan

    Meng Guest

    If Apple promote it properly the Mac mini could very easily become the
    computer equivalent of the Ipod, particularly as more and more people
    realise that viruses and trojan horses are virtually non-existant on
    Macs and that the whole "Macs are far more expensive than PCs" thing
    that those who pray at the altar of Bill Gates love to trot out just
    ain't the case any more.

    Why does Apple use it's own OS? Because it's Unix-based and therefore
    more stable and advanced than anything Micro$oft have come up with.

    Meng, Mar 12, 2005
  13. Allan

    Mark Jones Guest

    There is a lot of software that is only written for the PC
    and even if you own a Mac, you may still need to run it.
    It is still better to buy an inexpensive PC to run PC software.

    Mark Jones, Mar 12, 2005
  14. Allan

    Mark Jones Guest

    It has been a long time since I used Virtual PC, but I know
    that it wasn't written by Microsoft.

    I gave up on Macs a long time ago.

    Mark Jones, Mar 12, 2005
  15. Aaron J. Bossig, Mar 12, 2005
  16. The reason I bring this up is, I've found a lot of people (especially
    in bigger cities near Apple stores) are ready to switch to ANYTHING
    that isn't Windows. It seems that a grouwing number of people are just
    fed up with the high maintenence involved in keeping Windows free of
    viruses, spyware, and all its ilk.

    I'm not saying Apple will suddenly become a powerhouse, but it's the
    most mainstream option that isn't centered around Windows.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Mar 12, 2005
  17. Allan

    Ed Kim Guest

    didn't Apple invent USB and firewire?

    i think it's prolly a major statement about the technical specs of
    Blu-Ray v HD-DVD if Apple has come out in favor of it.

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Mar 12, 2005
  18. Allan

    Ed Kim Guest

    technology-wise, Apple is a major player. They invent (or adopt
    extremely early) new technologies and then a couple of years down the
    road, PC makers start incorporating those technologies. I mean, look
    at when Apple first had USB and FireWire (i believe they invented them,
    but i'm not sure about that) and how long it took for PCs to have them.

    IIRC Dell, Gateway, Sony (of course), and HP have all come out in
    support of Blu-Ray. In fact, i believe that BluRay has superior
    support among tech companies while HD-DVD has an edge in content
    providers (WB, Universal, Disney, ... ).

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Mar 12, 2005
  19. Allan

    Dan P. Guest

    Why would I buy a more expensive Mac (yes even the Mac Mini is more
    expensive than a cheap PC) just so I would have to buy a separate software
    package (which costs how much?) to emulate a Windows system? I'm spending
    alot more money to have a slower, emulated system. No one in their right
    mind is going to do that.

    So like I said before, as long as Windows dominates the desktop OS market,
    Apple will always have a tiny share of the PC market, no matter how cute
    they make their PCs. And don't get me wrong, their products are very
    attractive. They always have a sense of style that other manufacturers
    never seem to have. But what they don't have is full Windows compatibility
    at full, un-emulated speeds.

    Dan

    Dan P., Mar 12, 2005
  20. Maybe because Macs are more stable, less prone to viruses, and
    in some ways, more user-friendly than PCs. And if all you use your
    computer for is E-Mail and basic documents, you really don't need
    a PC to begin with... but if you do, VirtualPC is there.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com