    My Laptop connect fine using AOL9 software via the same router. So this
    points to an issue with the laptop.

    Any furter ideas before I burn it

    Big Brian, Sep 13, 2005

  2. MTU needs to be 1400 on laptop wireless adapter ??
    DrTCP.exe

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 13, 2005

  3. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    How do I change it

    is drtcp a program

    Big Brian, Sep 13, 2005
  4. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Also , would a wromg MTu allow me to connect to router and not to the adsl

    Big Brian, Sep 13, 2005
  5. it is, the .exe is a clue

    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp is where it lives, there's a
    screenshot there too. Note that the MTU is adapter specific, so drop
    down the box to find the wireless. All PCs should be set to the same
    ideally.

    would it affect the AOL but not the LAN access ? - yes, its AOL that
    have the cranky 1400 MTU requirement, you could wizz 1500 MTU packets
    around the LAN happily and it would only be when they ventured outside
    that the wheels would fall off (if indeed this is the problem).

    The router might have an MTU setting on its WAN or ADSL page, that
    ought to be 1400 too.

    good luck.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 13, 2005
  6. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Ill give that a go friday when i am there next. its really driving me nuts.
    im sure I checked MTU via registry. tried so much I am getting all confused

    Big Brian, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Big Brian

    George Guest

    The AOL MTU issue is not wireless specific - it would also affect the
    ethernet connection. It needs to be changed in the router config, rather
    than on the PC itself, as the issue is on the WAN side, as apposed to
    the LAN side. In this case, I don't think MTU is the problem. The most
    common issue with an incorrect MTU size is problems accessing secure
    sites, and some sites loading slowly (due to packet loss).

    George

    George, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Any clues as to what is the issue , I have played with MTU on the router and
    doesnt change a thing.

    Big Brian, Sep 14, 2005
  9. Big Brian

    George Guest

    Please - let us know if you can access web pages outwith AOL

    If you have uninstalled AOL Connectivity Services, disabled all
    firewalls etc, then try this:-

    From device manager, disable ALL network devices and modems except the
    wireless adapter. Uninstall the ACS again. Restart. If you are still
    getting DNS server unreachable or unavailable, then read on...

    Try pinging a domain - yahoo.com accepts pings
    Try pinging an external IP address (68.142.226.40 is Yahoo's)

    Let us know how you get on with both of these please. Also let us know
    if you can access website via IE.
    Also, check that your IP address and DNS are both set to get
    automatically from ISP.
    Try connecting the PC via ethernet rather than wireless - see if that
    works. Try the two ping tests again.

    Failing all else, try the famous Winsock fix for Windows XP/2K (if you
    are using Win9x, don't do this - you will kill windows!) Also, make sure
    the system is in good order before you do this. Make sure spyware scans
    etc are done - I take no responsibility for any damage caused to your
    OS!! Only do this if you are SURE your wireless adapter is correctly
    configured. If you can ping your router, you can assume it is.

    Disconnect any network devices
    Start Regedit - Backup the registry!!

    Go to:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / System / CurrentControlSet / Services

    Delete both Winsock and Winsock2
    Restart the machine
    Reconnect any network devices

    Go to Control Panel / Network Connections
    Right click any LAN connection, go to properties
    Click on Install
    Select Protocol and click Add
    Click on the Have Disk button
    Enter C:\windows\inf into the text box provided and then click on OK
    Choose Microsoft, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

    Close any open Windows
    Uninstall the AOL Connectivity services
    Restart the computer
    Start AOL. If this doesn't sort the problem - I doubt anything will!
    (assuming you have did what I advised previously)

    George

    George, Sep 14, 2005
  10. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Hi

    No i cant access web pages via IE on either PC , though the AOL8 on the
    desktop allows me to view web pages ok.

    Big Brian, Sep 15, 2005
  11. I lost track, did you set the PC MTUs to 1400 to no avail ?

    worth installing another browser ie firefox or opera - I had IE die
    for a couple of months due to spyware / trojan screwing it up but the
    others worked. Also if you telnet to port 80 on a web server you can
    see if port 80 connections are being blocked.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 15, 2005
  12. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    yes i have set MTU to 1400

    Still not resolved.

    How do I telnet test. Years since I did that

    Big Brian, Sep 15, 2005
  13. get black screen DOS prompt eg 'cmd' from Run box of start

    'telnet www.bbc.co.uk 80' will either give you an error message bout
    not being able to connect, or a clear screen where if you press Ctrl/C
    it'll say something like :-
    "
    <title>501 Method
    Not Implemented</title>
    </head><body>
    <h1>Method Not Implemented</h1>
    /today/index.shtml not supported.<br />

    Connection to host lost."

    Which shows you got to a web server.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 15, 2005
  14. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    All sorted now

    It was suggested to me that the logon and password in the router for AOL
    shoudl be the account holders.

    Well bugger me , if I dont access the router , change the login details as
    advised and it worked.

    Question is , that why would this occur when a lot of people and sites
    advise setting up a screen name for the router only

    Big Brian, Sep 16, 2005
  15. had seen sites saying you needed extra "screen names" for the
    cheeseware on the networked PCs but they all talked of the primary
    login "screen name" going on the router itself.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 16, 2005
  16. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    To be honest it was a last gasp attempt

    What I cant work out though , is when I had no screen name in thee , My
    laptop would connect wirelessly and the wired desktop would connect

    The affected desktop wouldnt connect

    Put in the primary screen name and all is fine.

    Another quickie. This was a linksys router and previousley there was a
    buffalo router on there as a temp measure until we got the linksys. Things
    appear a lot faster witha linksys. Any reasons or is that for anothe day

    Big Brian, Sep 16, 2005
  17. no login particulars at all ? odd. I surrender.
    clash of screen names on two devices ?
    steady on with the detail ;-)
    assuming they are both 802.11g was the wireless speed the same (signal
    strength issues) or may some kit have been 802.11b or not had a
    compatible turbo mode.

    Security can slow things down, was that the same ? also different
    channels may have had more or less interference.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 16, 2005
  18. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    Im just putting this down to a quirk of computerism

    Have done a few wirless connections in home sthis week and most are less
    than an hour including security.

    I think the fact I took a three day break from this one cleared my head

    Big Brian, Sep 16, 2005
  19. Big Brian

    George Guest

    If the router had no login details, no PC connected to it should have
    been able to connect all. The only explaination that I can come up with
    is that the PC that was working must have been using a dial up
    connection or some other means of connecting - particularly if it
    couldn't access webpages without signing on to AOL. In the very first
    reply I made to you, I included instructions for setting up a router. As
    mentioned previously - AOL is like any other ISP using a router. The AOL
    software is just like any other piece of software that access the web -
    except it has it's own built in dialler for dial up / USB broadband
    modems. The main thing is, it works.
    George

    There are a couple of reasons that AOL often recommend setting up a
    seperate router screen-name. Firstly, AOL customers often change their
    password, and don't remember to change it in the router. Secondly, if a
    router is logged on all the time, you can't use that screen-name
    remotely (from work etc) to check AOL email -as the account is already
    logged on. Strangely, you CAN log on with this screen name on a PC
    connected to the router, but not any other one.

    George, Sep 16, 2005
  20. Big Brian

    Big Brian Guest

    I though that it may be logged on by some othe rmeans but it wasnt

    I think I confused myself so much in the end I had to clear my head.

    Thing is , now its sorted , she is afriad to power the router down incase it
    all goes tits up again.

    Big Brian, Sep 17, 2005