AOL9 and Win 98

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim A, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Jim A

    Jim A Guest

    When I connect to AOL 9 using their connect interface, I connect
    successfully,
    but at random times, the software closes, with an error message, "Your
    software has encountered problems. Please wait while I retry." (or
    something to that effect.)

    The dial-up connection does not appear to have been interrupted. When it
    automatically retries, it successfully reconnects--usually within 3 or 4
    seconds. There is no second dial-up squeal as there was when I initially
    dialed up, so the connection appears to remain.

    Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? I previously had version
    7. Before I installed a later
    version (version 9), I uninstalled the previous version before installing 9
    Is this an OS problem, inadequate RAM problem, or a problem with AOL
    software?

    The system is Windows98 SE provided by DELL, 128 Mb of RAM, AOL 9.

    Any ideas would be welcome,
    Jim

    Jim A, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Jim A

    Harrison Guest

    There was known bug with AOL 9 and Windows 98.
    I ran into a few months back when working with a client.
    A Google for AOL Windows 98 bug.
    I uninstalled 9 and reinstalled 8, and all was OK again.

    Harrison, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Jim A

    SgtMinor Guest

    Can you tell me more about this 'known bug?' I have a direct interest
    in this as I'm running 98SE and have a basic AOL account for backup. I
    use AOL 4.0 and want to upgrade but I remembered reading that some
    previous version had screwed up/disabled broadband setups during
    install. As I'm on cable and don't want screw-ups I did some research
    into 9.0 downsides and couldn't find much. What seems to be the
    problem?

    SgtMinor, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Jim A

    Boomer Guest

    It's been 10 days now. You've not gotten a reply?
    I wonder what the 'bug' was.

    Boomer, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Jim A

    fkasner Guest

    AOL 9 is resources hog! It requires if all parts are loaded that you
    have about 85% resources available in Windows 98SE or ME. It just won't
    run very well if you have a lot of things that load at startup. Of
    course you can reboot and then close down lots of programs so allow the
    resources hog to run. I suggest that if you have to run AOL (as I do
    because I help students with science problems) that you get a copy of
    their version 8. It will run with considerably lower resources available
    than will version 9. AOL is a very poor system but if you have to have
    it ...
    FK

    fkasner, Jan 24, 2004