AOL (UK)

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ~BD~, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Message sent to AOL today (still awaiting an answer!)

    ****************************
    Hi

    I have reinstalled Windows XP Home after playing with Ubunto (Linux).

    I then used an AOL 9.0VR CD which AOL sent me by post in February 2008 to
    set up the AOL browser on my PC but my Symantec Antivirus informed me that
    the disc held a Trojan Vundo.B (cleaned)
    and also another Trojan ........ Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c [Kaspersky] -
    which was quarantined.

    I flattened the machine and then reinstalled Windows XP again - and this
    time downloaded AOL 9.0VR directly from the Internet (AOL web site here:-
    http://www.aol.co.uk/?src=www.aol.com

    Exactly the same malware was discovered!

    My query then. Are these Trojans 'part and parcel' of AOL today or might
    something else be amiss?

    ******************************

    Any thoughts from others here?
    Might the Trojans actually be part of the AOL browser?

    ~BD~, Feb 26, 2009

  2. You could nave saved yourself the anguish by installing Ubuntu as either
    a dual-boot with your current Windows, or used the Wubi install where
    Ubuntu becomes a 'directory' on your C: drive and with a dual-boot
    capability.

    When you are ready to formally move to Linux, consider the regular
    dual-boot (retaining Windows for a time), then later from Ubuntu,
    reformat the NTFS partitions to the Linux file system.
    Is there a compelling reason you actually need AOL? ;-)
    I've read in numerous places that their installation is particularly
    invasive, especially to the Windows Registry.

    Last I heard, the "AOL browser" was simply a title-bar branded Internet
    Explorer...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 26, 2009

  3. I flattened the machine and then reinstalled Windows XP again - and this
    I would be very surprised if you are the only persorn affected by that
    "AOL embedded trojan" out of the million customers that AOL has in the
    UK.

    My guess is that this is a false positive, and usually antivirus
    companies have a way to submit suspicious files to make sure they are
    really a virus.

    Frank Merlott, Feb 26, 2009
  4. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Thanks for your comments Bts. This is all very new to me, but I do have
    genuine XP Home plus SP1, 2 and 3 CD's and a Ubuntu CD as well, so it isn't
    difficult to revamp everything.

    Hahaha! Lots of folk ridicule AOL, I know, but AOL (UK) is now owned by
    Carphone Warehouse - one of the UK's major mobile phone companies.

    AOL is my *ISP* - I have to have *some* way to connect to the 'net and AOL
    is competitive price-wise. One does NOT have to install the AOL software to
    utilise the connection. Whilst the AOL Browser is based on Internet
    Explorer, it is still quite a complex package, much as it was many years
    ago.

    HTH

    ~BD~, Feb 28, 2009
  5. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Perhaps you are right, Frank! AOL replied ........

    "Dear AOL member,
    There was a virus called blaster affecting Windows XP without the Service
    Pack. I had the same experience with this virus as you have with this
    trojan. If you want to be sure that system is properly installed you should
    format disks first. However that does not prevent you from all of the
    viruses. Most of them are affecting internet browsers straight away. When I
    opened an Internet page (I wanted to go through google to microsoft
    download) and virus came straight back. I do recommend to install all
    updates first and then try to download AOL 9.0 VR. I can assure you that our
    software is virus-free and we do not add anything to our downloads. The
    issue is the Internet network that stores a lot of this annoying software. I
    strongly recommend to install anti-spyware software as well. What you can do
    in this case is to download and scan your computer with the following
    software to remove any spyware: Adaware SE from http://www.download.com and
    Microsoft Defender from http://www.microsoft.com and to block future popups
    download the Google Toolbar from http://www.download.com

    Thank you for contacting AOL technical Support via e-mails.

    Kind regards, Greg."

    **

    I responded with ............

    "I regret that I do not find your answer satisfactory.

    I completely flattened my PC, destroying all partitions and reformatted,
    then installed Windows XP Home again from my retail disk. I then installed
    SP1 and then SP3 from disks I have from Microsoft. I then installed Symantec
    Antivirus before connecting to the Internet to gain updates from Microsoft.

    The first indication of malware was when utilising AOL 9.0VR - either from
    my AOL disk or when downloading from the Intenet. .

    Perhaps you should pass this matter to your supervisor/manager".

    **

    This resulted in this reply from AOL ........

    Dear AOL member,

    I do apologise for any inconveniences caused by this.

    I do appreciate that you knew what to do. To be honest with you sir, 90% of
    customers has poor technical knowledge. That is the reason why I am sending
    the very first steps in our troubleshoot. May I ask what is the link that
    you use for downloading AOL 9.0 VR?

    I can assure you that AOL is not including any destructive programs into the
    software. I am terribly sorry for the poor service that you experienced.

    Thank you for contacting AOL Technical Support via e-mails.

    Kindest regards, Greg.

    ~BD~, Feb 28, 2009